Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Question Incident Response

Hi all --

I wanted to get feedback from fellow firefighters about fire photography.

I am the Incident Response Photographer and I respond to fire and accident scenes to cover firefighters in Sheboygan, Wisconsin.

You can see my work at www.irwi.us and on Facebook and http://www.facebook.com/IncidentResponseWI.

What are your thoughts on fire photographers?

Quote Originally Posted by AsherHeimermann View Post
    Hi all --

I wanted to get feedback from fellow firefighters about fire photography.

I am the Incident Response Photographer and I respond to fire and accident scenes to cover firefighters in Sheboygan, Wisconsin.

You can see my work at www.irwi.us and on Facebook and http://www.facebook.com/IncidentResponseWI.

What are your thoughts on fire photographers?
    I have the same regard for them as I do reporters. I tend to think of them as vultures with cameras.
    I'm quite sure right know you are horrified and formulating some response which justifies what you do. So I have two questions, Can you do the job without distrupting operations in any way? and two can you do the job and respect the rights and dignity of our clients?

Miller raises valid concerns, especially the second one.

OTOH, we had a local news reporter who was often an early arrival at scenes and who got some great shots, some possibly even award-winning.

Because he often did arrive with or even before the initial responders, he often got his good stuff without interfering with anybody...

That said - try to stay on our good side. We know we do some bone-headed stuff from time to time. Try not to make that your apparent focus. We aren't real fond of having "fail" posters done of our work.

Remember that if you're on my scene, and the fire is suspicious, I might just want your memory card. Not a copy, the memory card (well, maybe a copy). It's evidence. You'll get it back intact.

We know you're in it partly for the money (there's nothing wrong with that), but don't be afraid to share a great shot with an involved department from time to time. Watermark your pictures and there'll be no copyright issues. You'll spread your name around (as they put your stuff on their websites) and you'll potentially gain a friend on the fireground (which can help alleviate Millers first concern).

If you're not already familiar with him, check out Dennis Hook.. He does what you're doing, only in the DC area, where he's fairly well known and (from what I know) respected.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Forum Member

As long as a photographer stays out of the way and doesn't park in the way, I have no problem with them. We've all learned from seeing great video of both good tactics and bad. And it would go a long way towards good will to share a few good shots of the guys in action from time to time. And helping out the arson guys with photos is a good in as well.

Thread Information