Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Forum Member

Curious as well. They are still open for medics only which is why this is so confusing for what you are saying. It used to be 9months for medics to move to the city but suppression is you have to live in the city to just apply. Visited with a kcmo medic today who I had never spoke with prior. She confirmed much of logistics which I shared and then told was talking out of my butt by chingon for KCMO hiring medics only. I'm not sure, but chingon's response makes it sound as if he's not aware of the most current application process that hasn't hired anyone yet. This kcmo **** is confusing as hell. Heard some more funny kcmo stories today, sounds about like everything I heard prior
    Last edited by AirForceJayhawk; 12-06-2012 at 05:54 PM.

Forum Member

If you had to live in to city to apply then I don't think I would be getting a phone call for a phone interview. There were only about 80 people in the email one of the chiefs sent out to conduct the phone interview. I'm just going to focus on what I need to do and if I hear something then great.

Forum Member

That was for suppression only. EMS side had 9 months to move to the city, but that was prior to the merger. No longer certain of anything. I am aware they are VERY short on medics. However now that UMKC started a medic program... now there are JCCC, KCK, UMKC, AMR, MCC all flooding the market with medics. I am working w/ a girl who was from KS and took a job in NC, she said medic jobs were plentiful there, but it's tough work here in the area.

Forum Member

Well yeah Medic are gold down in the Carolinas. You have a card and your in. Working for a major metro city is my goal whether it's medic or fire. I don't know how they hire medics though, I would think experience would play some factor or it doesn't really matter. Like I said I'm just going to go through the process and see what happens.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by AirForceJayhawk View Post
    Curious as well. They are still open for medics only which is why this is so confusing for what you are saying. It used to be 9months for medics to move to the city but suppression is you have to live in the city to just apply. Visited with a kcmo medic today who I had never spoke with prior. She confirmed much of logistics which I shared and then told was talking out of my butt by chingon for KCMO hiring medics only. I'm not sure, but chingon's response makes it sound as if he's not aware of the most current application process that hasn't hired anyone yet. This kcmo **** is confusing as hell. Heard some more funny kcmo stories today, sounds about like everything I heard prior
    Yes. It is confusing. I think maybe you misunderstood me, as well. Let me try to clarify. The FD has taken applications for medic only positions, and already have hired some, and are obviously still interviewing more. A special ordinance allows the city to hire medic-only recruits to fill emergency staffing shortages. These positions are EMS-only, have a 9 month time frame to move into the city, and do not have the same age requirement. Personnel hired through the emergency provisions are not eligible to transfer to supression. (Though they could, once living here, apply through the normal HR process if they meet the age requirement: between 19-30 at the date of application).

Meanwhile, we have been hiring steadily and regularly through our normal process. Everyone who goes through our academy is fully crosstrained EMS/Fire.

Is that clearer?

p.s. - for every "funny" story your medic freinds gossip about, I've probably got 5 "funny" stories about suburban fire departments in this area, and 15 stories about KC firefighters and EMS workers executing their duties with a degree of bravery and skill that is simply not practiced by the majority of area fire departments.
    Last edited by chingon; 12-06-2012 at 10:15 PM.

Forum Member

Thanks chingon for the replies. I am def. interested in either Medic or Fire for major city, fire more then Medic but I've put a lot of time into school so I'd take either. Again thanks chigon.

Forum Member

No need to be so sensitive, I meant funny. Outside that you seem to think I only speak with medics. I hear about it through various area fd's and your own people. I'm not some blinded medic nerd. i'm not doubting the entire kcmo dept as a whole, it's just not for me. I didnt say anything poor above, but with your quick defensiveness it seems like you are aware of your depts issues. Not every big dept has the same issues kcfd has had.

MembersZone Subscriber

Okay, man.

Florida Boy!
    Missouri and Colorado but from the East Coast!

LOL! eventhough my tread was hijacked, I got a lot of great info from the KCMO FD folks...thanks so much!!! I Passed the phone interview now on to assesment center this week... as a long standing Fire/EMS guy I would be honered to be offered a job with such an outstanding organisation as KCMO FD, I would be honered to ride on an KCMO Medic unit... as this is only a EMS hire..
    in solidarity brothers, wish me luck and if you have anything else to offer im all ears..and mouth shut!
    There is Life outside the Firehouse!

Forum Member

Passed the phone interview as well heading out to KC next weekend for the 2nd phase. I was told they were looking to hire 10-20 Medics at the end of January.

Florida Boy!

Congradualtions, im super stoked.. what can you or anyone else tell me about the KCMO system, Good bad or indiffrent??

Forum Member

I'm from columbus ohio so I can't really tell you anything haha

Forum Member

Good luck fellas!

Florida Boy!

done with video interview and felt pretty good, Met the EMS Chief and he was a great source of Info....great guy, super posative and now im really excited, thair hirring 10 now and 15 a bit after... it really sounds like a great oppertunity for me and anyone lucky and quilified enough to make the cut!
    I was told we should find out who getting hirred after the first week of 2013.. good luck brothers! keep me posted. I still would like more insight from a few line guys if possible? goods, Bad, or indiffrent.

Forum Member

Did he mention the "Psych" portion to you?

Florida Boy!

nothing yet!!!

Forum Member

Been a month now....anyone hear anything from the Medic side?

Forum Member

I have a friend applied and was wondering if any of you had heard anything yet... She said her video interview went well as far as she knew... weird process it sounds like. Keep it updated.

Forum Member

haven't heard a thing.

Forum Member

results should be emailed about the Medic process.

Thread Information