Florida Boy!

Missouri and Colorado but from the East Coast!

Default KC area jobs....

Hello brothers and sisters, I could use some help, im relocating to the KC area due to family and need info on jobs in area, Fire, EMS or both...whos Hirring! thanks so much in advance!
    There is Life outside the Firehouse!

Forum Member

Shawnee, Ks just had their eligibility list. I think it is now closed.

KCMO is hiring medics.

Overland Park hiring a Medic

Grandview Mo just had a process.

Lees Summit just had a process.

KCK should have a new process starting in the winter. They by far have the longest waiting game from application to academy in the area (about 6 months).

A few just hired and likely will not be hiring for a couple of years. Not the best time to be coming for fire/ems jobs. Not many EMS services that carry emt-b's in the area.

Florida Boy!

Yea Im a Medic, already applied with all those, Thanks! Whats the good the bad and ugly on local EMS and Fire Depts? whos the big dog, and who should I stay away from???

Forum Member

I applied for Kansas City Fire Department as a Paramedic, only thing I received in the mail is that I'm qualified and should hear about an interview. Anyone else?

Florida Boy!

Im waiting also

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by wakehead8 View Post
    Yea Im a Medic, already applied with all those, Thanks! Whats the good the bad and ugly on local EMS and Fire Depts? whos the big dog, and who should I stay away from???
    Did you get the chief's interview w/ grandview? Just had mine the other day. Olathe probably the best, OP and Lenexa right behind. Shawnee has no ALS. Johnson county has a private ambulance service called Med-Act.

Med-Act will be hiring 6 at the beginning of the year. Most of their hires come from the medic school which I am graduating in December.

Johnson county is the best county to work for IMO. Lots of good dept's and great training. They spend their money (great community support) on their people and equipment. You might be under the microscope a little more from management but it's a more militaristic feel their. Being prior service, this is what I enjoy and excel in.

KCK you fight the most fire and get the highest fidelity medical calls... run you ragged though. I would love to work there, but many of the older guys might not who are changing and starting all over from the bottom. KCK is run more like the old school departments though. Lots of fun and great guys. As with any big dept there are issues though.

It will depend a lot if you have the fire certs and which side of the line you wish to live/work, KS or Mo

Quote Originally Posted by doubled8206 View Post
    I applied for Kansas City Fire Department as a Paramedic, only thing I received in the mail is that I'm qualified and should hear about an interview. Anyone else?
    I didn't apply as mentioned above. I want to do both fire and medic for which they are NOT hiring.
    Last edited by AirForceJayhawk; 11-26-2012 at 06:17 PM.

Forum Member

If you want information on KCK you can send me a private msg and maybe we can chat on the phone about it. I know we are hiring a lot come middle of 2013. App process should start first of the year.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jayhwker01 View Post
    If you want information on KCK you can send me a private msg and maybe we can chat on the phone about it. I know we are hiring a lot come middle of 2013. App process should start first of the year.
    Jayhwker01 was a great help when I went through KCK process even though they weren't willing to work w/ a current student. He can tell you much more about KCK than I.

Just wanted to add that if you were to get Overland Park, don't plan on making a quick transition to fire/medic... they would likely keep you straight medic for a long period of time.

Also KCMO fire has an age limit, not sure if this applies to their medics or not w/ the MAST merger.

Forum Member

Thanks AirForceJayhawk. I hope you get on somewhere soon and keep me posted. I can also help with the application process of KCMO and a few JOCO departments.

Forum Member

Thanks! Not a big concern yet as I still havent even finished school. I have already declined one job and I've been blessed enough to make a chief interview each time. Lawrence is my dream spot for too many reasons to list, if they fought more fire, there wouldnt be a department in NE ks that would outshine them in any areas of the job. I have a ton to learn, am volly at a dept, working as an emt which turns into a medic job on certification, and most importantly trying to finish up that school. I know with my military background, desire/work ethic, and now education that i'm going to be a desired candidate

MembersZone Subscriber

1. Careful dragging KCFD through the mud, man. You don't work here and your "contacts" (who are obviously EMS personnel) might not really paint the whole picture. KCFD is the biggest department in the area, the oldest, the busiest in terms of both Fire and EMS, and the most organizationally complex. It covers the oldest, densest part of the metro from the nicest neighborhoods to the roughest. Its just a different animal than Johnson County. As a department its a lot like KCK (which also took over ambulance operations from MAST, I might note), only KCFD is bigger and busier. So if you like KCKFD, then I'd have to imagine KCFD would also be a good fit.

2. By the way, Lawrence is taking applications right now. If you are trying to find a FD department job right now, I would cast a broad net. Apply everywhere you can, take the first job you get and go from there. A bird in hand...

Forum Member

I agree with Chingon. KCK and KCMO are your two old head fire departments. KCFD recently had a merger with MAST so that is the only reason I would not apply without getting further information from reliable sources. For example how long will you ride on an ambulance with KCFD? If they give you a good ratio of ambulance to truck then I would apply there.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jayhwker01 View Post
    I agree with Chingon. KCK and KCMO are your two old head fire departments. KCFD recently had a merger with MAST so that is the only reason I would not apply without getting further information from reliable sources. For example how long will you ride on an ambulance with KCFD? If they give you a good ratio of ambulance to truck then I would apply there.
    Edited: but still pointing out they were just hiring Medic only at the most recent time when I saw the job listing. No fire w/ the position. Chingon is the source for KCFD but was not aware they were looking for straight medics.

Quote Originally Posted by chingon View Post
    1. Careful dragging KCFD through the mud, man. You don't work here and your "contacts" (who are obviously EMS personnel) might not really paint the whole picture. KCFD is the biggest department in the area, the oldest, the busiest in terms of both Fire and EMS, and the most organizationally complex. It covers the oldest, densest part of the metro from the nicest neighborhoods to the roughest. Its just a different animal than Johnson County. As a department its a lot like KCK (which also took over ambulance operations from MAST, I might note), only KCFD is bigger and busier. So if you like KCKFD, then I'd have to imagine KCFD would also be a good fit.

2. By the way, Lawrence is taking applications right now. If you are trying to find a FD department job right now, I would cast a broad net. Apply everywhere you can, take the first job you get and go from there. A bird in hand...
    My apologies for "mud slinging" as it was seen by one. This is damage control edit. Much of my other info was overlooked/misconstrued but what I had posted in this one wasn't helpful to the OP. I made the same statement about all large dept's and KCFD, the initial was overlooked.

Thanks for the heads up about Lawrence. I interned there and have been aware of it for a few months now... just going to hit it like the rest of my interviews. I've been following that advice of applying everywhere... and it's helping me a lot in becoming comfortable w/ the process and I've been successful. I have a full time medic job lined up so I'm not just accepting jobs "anywhere" when it comes to fire. I turned down Grandview because I felt it was morally wrong to accept it and try and leave a month or 2 after being hired for another job. Some might view it as a mistake, but not in my eyes. Maybe Karma is a real thing and will help me out with this one. I could have been a dick to GV and took the job and potentially screw them over in a few months with a different job.
    Last edited by AirForceJayhawk; 11-26-2012 at 06:24 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Look, I'm not going to get into a big back and forth with you. But if somebody is on a public forum asking for advice on how to get a FD/EMS job, and you respond that the biggest department in the area "has the most internal problems" based on the hearsay of 2 people you know, imply that it's personnel are less professional because you have seen someone in "gym shorts and tennis shoes", repeat dubious claims like "they take care of their fire guys first" and that medics are "outcasts", and then top it off with the 100% false assertion that KCFD is only hiring EMS-only medics, then expect some clarification...

To wit:

1. All departments have internal problems. Many have external problems. I have worked at 3 metro FD and I can assure that morale at KCFD is better than 95% of metro FDs, even after the absorption of MAST, which involuntarily introduced about 200 people into a culture that was new to them. Some of them love it, some are getting used to it, and a few very vocal EMTs and Medics have fought and kicked and screamed and cried the whole time. Every department I've worked for has squeaky wheels, whiners and woe-is-me crybabies. We have numerically more, because we are a bigger department and there's a big transition. But I bet if you did a job satisfaction survey of employees, KCFD and KCKFD would be the top 2.

2. KCFD Firemen and EMS workers are excellent at what they do, no matter what they wear. The city doesn't issue footwear, so tennis shoes are within our policy. I know of several JoCo departments that allow FF's to wear shorts on duty. Uniform policies are not a very accurate reflection of a department's professionalism, they are a reflection of its desire to appear professional. And yes, ours is significantly more relaxed than most JoCo departments. You'll find that is pretty typical of urban versus suburban departments throughout the country. Just the nature of old-school departments.

3. No one who has been hired on this job in the last 2 centuries has had more accommodations made for them than EMS personnel who have been absorbed. If that's not "taking care" of someone I don't know what is. And yes, some people are outcasts. That's true in any culture. Some of outcasts don't want to "fit in", don't know how to. Some are openly spiteful. Here, some of them are medics or EMTs. Some aren't. Strangely, nearly all the Medics and EMTs who have been hired since the merger, those who were not disgruntled ex-MAST personnel, seem to fit in just fine. As do a lot of the ex-MAST personnel who have adjusted more easily to a "new" (3 years old now) environment. Maybe some people just don't want to fit in. Anywhere. Certainly there are some people who are "outcasts" in other departments as well, people who don't kiss the right ***, or have the right politics, or hate working in the suburbs, or whine all the time about strict work rules or uniform requirements...

4. KCFD has been hiring Fire suppression personnel steadily for years now. It hires more people, more often than any other department in the metro, which is why its good place for a new firefighter to put in an application. In fact, there's an academy of 30 in right now. All hires after the merger are fully dual-trained in Fire and EMS. Some work on ambulance longer than others. Some get assigned to fire trucks within a couple years. Most can expect that the first assignment they will get will be to an ambulance. The system for transferring from one assignment to another is seniority based, and the availability of positions on a fire truck is subject to retirements, resignations and promotions.

5. I totally understand your desire not to work for a larger department. Maybe just saying that is enough, though. As I said, I have worked for 3 FDs in my career, 2 in suburban KC, and let me I assure you, I could repeat some gossip, trash-talking, and horror stories from those departments. I quickly learned regimented FDs weren't my cup of tea. So I went to work in the city. Get in where you fit in is my motto. But if you're advising someone on where to find their job, I think disparaging a department you do not work for (and don't really understand) is not only bad manners, but bad advice. I would -- and do -- encourage someone looking for a job in this climate to apply everywhere and make their own decisions about which work environment is the best for them. I'm glad you made yours and have found out what things you like and don't like in the fire service. I genuinely wish you well, which is why I mentioned the Lawrence job. But there's a difference between presenting objective information (i.e., "from what I have seen, uniform policies in KCMO are more relaxed, most Johnson County Departments are stricter about appearance and grooming", and what you wrote.
    Last edited by chingon; 11-26-2012 at 11:56 AM.

Forum Member

For your information earlier this year KCMO was hiring medics. They weren't hiring for fire... EMS only on this job posting. I went through all the application info and they apps were for medic only. That is where I got my info from on that. I never said they weren't/don't hire for Fire-EMS. Only speaking for that most recent job notice that was posted. Trust me I'm not making that up.

I'm aware of tennis shoes as policy. I think shorts can be fine in the duty station, that's MY OPINION, just like the other posts. My point was showing up on calls in shorts and t's during normal business hours looks sloppy when you also need a damn shave. You completely misconstrued much of what I said. Do you think I would care if a guy was in shorts on a 3am med emergency? Not ideal IMO, but at least you aren't in the public eye of one of downtown KC's most prevalent business districts during normal duty hours of civilians doing it. Argue it all you want, but it looks very unprofessional in MY OPINION.

My intention wasn't to berade kcfd. You took a lot of my comments incorrectly, but that's the internet interpretation and you protecting your dept. KCFD I'm sure is just fine as mentioned above. I prefer the well organized machine like the military. I think the job is a privilege and not a "right", and we should be held to a much higher standard than the rest of our community.

I'm going to clean up my posts out of respect for you and the rest of the guys reading it. That wasn't the purpose of this thread. However my opinions were never passed off as the "only way to see something". You are right, it could have been a different approach and I respect your opinion. We can take it to PM if you like but I know plenty of incidents from that dept that steered me in another direction. You coming in here trying to "discredit" me doesn't change the fact of what has happened there that doesn't happen at other depts. Just because I'm not a KCFD employee doesn't mean I don't know what has gone on/going on there. I respect your passion for your department and I'm sure there are a ton of great guys there.
    Last edited by AirForceJayhawk; 11-26-2012 at 06:16 PM. Reason: Clean up

Forum Member

Recently received something in my email about phone interviews. Quick question. If you were to get hired as a Medic with KCFD, could you merge over to Fire eventually? I saw something that MAST joined the FD, are they trying to cross train these people for both fire and EMS? Sounds like a great department!

Forum Member

Bumping this up for you so hopefully chingon will see it. However his posts made it seem he was not aware the city was hiring straight medics, but I bet he could get some good info for you. It also would be worth scheduling to do a station tour/ride-out and speak to some upper level KCFD employees about your questions.

Forum Member

Well right now I currently live in Ohio so scheduling a ride a long would be a little difficult haha I scheduled my phone interview for next week so we will see what happens.

MembersZone Subscriber

I was, in fact, aware that the department hired medic-only recruits. The recruits were hired via an "emergency" provision that allowed the city to waive the normal requirements of applicants, including the age limit and residency requirement to fill a specific quota of paramedic vacancies. Under the conditions of those emergency provisions, medic-only hires are not currently able to crosstrain and will not be for the foreseeable future.

Our normal process, which has been ongoing and steadily hiring for some time, is to establish and eligibility list every 2 years via a civil service process. The department then fills academy classes from that lists as vacancies warrant. Cadets who go through the normal hiring process are fully crosstrained and receive assignments as vacancies occur in supression or EMS. Our normal process requires city residency as a condition of application.

I know it is confusing, especially to someone less familiar with the intricacies of the Fire/EMS merger, and the state of flux that some of our hiring procedures seem to have, but I'm happy to help answer what I can.
    Last edited by chingon; 12-05-2012 at 01:17 PM.

Forum Member

Thanks for your help! So with this current process of medics are they looking to hire or just put a list on? And as far as residency, if someone out of the area were to get hired, is there a time frame to move? I am willing to move anywhere for this career so just wonder.

Forum Member

Curious as well. They are still open for medics only which is why this is so confusing for what you are saying. It used to be 9months for medics to move to the city but suppression is you have to live in the city to just apply. Visited with a kcmo medic today who I had never spoke with prior. She confirmed much of logistics which I shared and then told was talking out of my butt by chingon for KCMO hiring medics only. I'm not sure, but chingon's response makes it sound as if he's not aware of the most current application process that hasn't hired anyone yet. This kcmo **** is confusing as hell. Heard some more funny kcmo stories today, sounds about like everything I heard prior
    Last edited by AirForceJayhawk; 12-06-2012 at 05:54 PM.

Forum Member

If you had to live in to city to apply then I don't think I would be getting a phone call for a phone interview. There were only about 80 people in the email one of the chiefs sent out to conduct the phone interview. I'm just going to focus on what I need to do and if I hear something then great.

Forum Member

That was for suppression only. EMS side had 9 months to move to the city, but that was prior to the merger. No longer certain of anything. I am aware they are VERY short on medics. However now that UMKC started a medic program... now there are JCCC, KCK, UMKC, AMR, MCC all flooding the market with medics. I am working w/ a girl who was from KS and took a job in NC, she said medic jobs were plentiful there, but it's tough work here in the area.

Forum Member

Well yeah Medic are gold down in the Carolinas. You have a card and your in. Working for a major metro city is my goal whether it's medic or fire. I don't know how they hire medics though, I would think experience would play some factor or it doesn't really matter. Like I said I'm just going to go through the process and see what happens.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by AirForceJayhawk View Post
    Curious as well. They are still open for medics only which is why this is so confusing for what you are saying. It used to be 9months for medics to move to the city but suppression is you have to live in the city to just apply. Visited with a kcmo medic today who I had never spoke with prior. She confirmed much of logistics which I shared and then told was talking out of my butt by chingon for KCMO hiring medics only. I'm not sure, but chingon's response makes it sound as if he's not aware of the most current application process that hasn't hired anyone yet. This kcmo **** is confusing as hell. Heard some more funny kcmo stories today, sounds about like everything I heard prior
    Yes. It is confusing. I think maybe you misunderstood me, as well. Let me try to clarify. The FD has taken applications for medic only positions, and already have hired some, and are obviously still interviewing more. A special ordinance allows the city to hire medic-only recruits to fill emergency staffing shortages. These positions are EMS-only, have a 9 month time frame to move into the city, and do not have the same age requirement. Personnel hired through the emergency provisions are not eligible to transfer to supression. (Though they could, once living here, apply through the normal HR process if they meet the age requirement: between 19-30 at the date of application).

Meanwhile, we have been hiring steadily and regularly through our normal process. Everyone who goes through our academy is fully crosstrained EMS/Fire.

Is that clearer?

p.s. - for every "funny" story your medic freinds gossip about, I've probably got 5 "funny" stories about suburban fire departments in this area, and 15 stories about KC firefighters and EMS workers executing their duties with a degree of bravery and skill that is simply not practiced by the majority of area fire departments.
    Last edited by chingon; 12-06-2012 at 10:15 PM.

Thread Information