Like Tree1Likes

Thread: FDNY, Hurricane Sandy

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyRescueTech View Post
    ...Entire towns were completely destroyed, firehouses were flooded, many homes destroyed, some are still without power. They still have gas leaks...
    Ya, that about describes what we are going through.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    Ya, that about describes what we are going through.
    Are there many departments in your area that have lost apparatus?
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyRescueTech View Post
    As bad as FDNY was with the big fire in Queens,
    this is just a really poorly worded sentence, right?
    Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    Are there many departments in your area that have lost apparatus?
    2 Departments in just my mutual aid area, which we are now covering as primary. 1 south of that which we travel through for FAST responses lost a couple. A few towns north lost some as well.

Also 2 stations have been abandoned, 1 of which will get completely stripped and re-occupied in a few months. The other I believe will need to be replaced. My own firehouse had 2 1/2 feet of water from front to back. All walls from 4' down are stripped to block and/or studs. Our bays, where the 3 operating vehicles we have (lost a van and utiltity truck) are about 90% operational. Storage closets and Captain's office are stripped 4' down and have no more shelving/cabinets/equipment in them. Our stalls for gear are gone (new ones on order). Air compressor....gone. Generator....gone. Lost some turnout gear, gloves, training equipment.

We are 127 years old. We had records from 1885 in our building. They are soaking wet. We have pictures from 1890's of members and their "apparatus". They are soaking wet.

There is much that can't be replaced. It sucks.

But as I stand at the front of the station and look east....I see people's houses in worse shape. I know areas near me (and people I know well) have lost much more.

Jersey Strong
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    2 Departments in just my mutual aid area, which we are now covering as primary. 1 south of that which we travel through for FAST responses lost a couple. A few towns north lost some as well.

Also 2 stations have been abandoned, 1 of which will get completely stripped and re-occupied in a few months. The other I believe will need to be replaced. My own firehouse had 2 1/2 feet of water from front to back. All walls from 4' down are stripped to block and/or studs. Our bays, where the 3 operating vehicles we have (lost a van and utiltity truck) are about 90% operational. Storage closets and Captain's office are stripped 4' down and have no more shelving/cabinets/equipment in them. Our stalls for gear are gone (new ones on order). Air compressor....gone. Generator....gone. Lost some turnout gear, gloves, training equipment.

We are 127 years old. We had records from 1885 in our building. They are soaking wet. We have pictures from 1890's of members and their "apparatus". They are soaking wet.

There is much that can't be replaced. It sucks.

But as I stand at the front of the station and look east....I see people's houses in worse shape. I know areas near me (and people I know well) have lost much more.

Jersey Strong
    Didn't you have a basement also? Bunch of stuff down there?

Forum Member

Nope, no basement in our firehouse.

EMS agency has a basement, but they in drier area of town. That is where we slept the first couple nights.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    this is just a really poorly worded sentence, right?
    yeah, sorry. Didn't mean to say FDNY handled the fire badly, but rather as NYC was hit badly by the storm and the resulting damage, NJ was hit even worse.

We just don't get as much national press coverage as NYC
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Thread Information