Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: FDNY, Hurricane Sandy

Default FDNY, Hurricane Sandy

I don't know if anyones listing, But the FDNY is getting it handed to them, I give them allot of credit, Their fighting some crazy fire's going on, never mind the flooding... Multiple 2+ Alarm fires, Multiple blocks on fire at a time, it does not sound good...Stay safe out there brothers, Listing in from NEPA, Were getting nailed, but nothing like this...
    Firefighter 1/ PA EMT-B

Forum Member

I was listening last night- dont forget the female dispatcher that was working her tail off.
    ?

Forum Member

I'm curious on how they addressed staffing. I know they have day/night tours, do they recall all available personnel and just work through the night? How many reserve apparatus do they have?

Go follow both "FDNY Incidents" and "The New York City Firefighter Brotherhood Foundation" pages for the most current updates. Multiple calls last night with no units available to respond.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

There was crews risking their lives just to get to a scene to risk their lives...I'm truly inspired by their actions... Fire, ems, police, volleys out in broad channel... Makes me proud to call myself an American..

MembersZone Subscriber SteveDude's Avatar

My Thoughts and Prayers are with FDNY.... we went through similar with the riots in London in August '11 (without the bad weather thrown in to the mix)... Over 30 major fires across London with constant calls for available units. Having several times over that weekend been an Incident Commander on scene having to release half of the attandance to go to other fires when what I had was hardly enough to do the job.... but we got there and I have no doubt FDNY will prevail as their rich history and tradition dictates.

Not forgetting all of the other responders across the NE USA doing their bit over these couple of days.
    Last edited by SteveDude; 10-30-2012 at 01:40 PM.
    BoxAlarm187 likes this.
    Steve Dude
    IACOJ member
    www.fireservice.co.uk

London Fire Brigade...."Can Do"

'Irony'... It's a British thing.

Forum Member

Does anyone know if the Point Breeze VFD apparatus or station was lost in the fire or flood?

I think that Roxbury VFD is right down the road. Any word on damage there?

In addition West Hamiliton Beach, Aviation Hose and Geriitton Beach VFDs are out near the shore as well. Anybody hear anything on how they fared?
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 10-31-2012 at 09:43 AM.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Not sure on the ones you mentioned, but Broad Channel lost an engine at Breezy Point. FDNY also more than likely lost the ATRV from 329's as well.
    Name:  65477_460731533978675_1397240909_n.jpg
Views: 2517
Size:  59.9 KB
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    Not sure on the ones you mentioned, but Broad Channel lost an engine at Breezy Point. FDNY also more than likely lost the ATRV from 329's as well.
    Attachment 22469
    I have been doing some research today in between projects and it seems like neither Point Breeze or Roxbury lost stations or engines, but they did have 4'-5' of water in thier stations.

I knew that broad Channel came in but didn't know they lost an engine.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    I have been doing some research today in between projects and it seems like neither Point Breeze or Roxbury lost stations or engines, but they did have 4'-5' of water in thier stations.

I knew that broad Channel came in but didn't know they lost an engine.
    My former chief served with broad channel for many years and regularly goes back to visit.. They lost the yellow Hahn, both ambulances and a chiefs vehicle I believe... They still have 1 engine. They had a dwelling fire with entrapment..durring the storm.. Don't know if the Hahn burnt at the call..

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigGriffC12 View Post
    My former chief served with broad channel for many years and regularly goes back to visit.. They lost the yellow Hahn, both ambulances and a chiefs vehicle I believe... They still have 1 engine. They had a dwelling fire with entrapment..durring the storm.. Don't know if the Hahn burnt at the call..
    Hopefully they'll be able to replace the apparatus with insurance, or maybe donations.

That Hahn looked like a very nice truck in pictures.

Does anyone have contact info for Broad Channel???.....I have an out of state Dept looking to contact someone there ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by BigGriffC12 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by pasobuff View Post
    Does anyone have contact info for Broad Channel???.....I have an out of state Dept looking to contact someone there ASAP.
    This was shared by a Facebook friend of mine. It comes from the National Firefighters Endowment, and I presume it's accurate.

We have been in contact with Broad Channel Volunteers (BCVFD), who was slammed by Hurricane Sandy. They lost 2 ambulances and 2 fire trucks as well as the contents of their station under 5 feet of saltwater. If you want to help, here is you
    r chance! At a minimum, please share this post.

Needs:
    Manpower: help clear the roads of debris. Come to the station at
    Broad Channel Volunteer Fire Department
    15 Noel Road
    Broad Channel, NY 11693
    contact Scott Batagglia "sbattaglia@broadchannelvfd.org"

Equipment: Contact National Firefighters Endowment @ 9165721502
    Immediate needs are a loaner ambulance (fully stocked)
    Scott airpacks (qty10)
    saws & jaws

Money:
    Please donate today, anything helps/100% helps. http://www.thethinredline.org/donate...lief-fund.html
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.Ē
    --General James Mattis, USMC

THANKS! Contact has been made.....

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF View Post
    This was shared by a Facebook friend of mine. It comes from the National Firefighters Endowment, and I presume it's accurate.

We have been in contact with Broad Channel Volunteers (BCVFD), who was slammed by Hurricane Sandy. They lost 2 ambulances and 2 fire trucks as well as the contents of their station under 5 feet of saltwater. If you want to help, here is you
    r chance! At a minimum, please share this post.

Needs:
    Manpower: help clear the roads of debris. Come to the station at
    Broad Channel Volunteer Fire Department
    15 Noel Road
    Broad Channel, NY 11693
    contact Scott Batagglia "sbattaglia@broadchannelvfd.org"

Equipment: Contact National Firefighters Endowment @ 9165721502
    Immediate needs are a loaner ambulance (fully stocked)
    Scott airpacks (qty10)
    saws & jaws

Money:
    Please donate today, anything helps/100% helps. http://www.thethinredline.org/donate...lief-fund.html

Many FDNY rigs and houses are damaged including a few EMS stations. I was in Breezy twice, once responding and just today helping out. The water table is so high and drains full of sand, that water can not recede. I couldnt pump out a basement because water from the ocean was just being replaced by what I was pumping out...our other fear was that pumping too much water too fast could collapse the block basement...so we stopped and just clean out furniture and cut fences.

As for the fire....well...you've seen the pics. Staten Island, Gerritson beach, and coney island all took beatings
    IACOJ Member

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by VinnieB View Post
    Many FDNY rigs and houses are damaged including a few EMS stations. I was in Breezy twice, once responding and just today helping out. The water table is so high and drains full of sand, that water can not recede. I couldnt pump out a basement because water from the ocean was just being replaced by what I was pumping out...our other fear was that pumping too much water too fast could collapse the block basement...so we stopped and just clean out furniture and cut fences.

As for the fire....well...you've seen the pics. Staten Island, Gerritson beach, and coney island all took beatings
    Be safe!! God be with you all.

Forum Member

Any word if Broad Channel has gotten back into operation yet with a donated piece?

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    Any word if Broad Channel has gotten back into operation yet with a donated piece?
    A department from Minnesota, I believe, was in contact with them regarding a donation - I do not know the status of that though.

Quote Originally Posted by pasobuff View Post
    A department from Minnesota, I believe, was in contact with them regarding a donation - I do not know the status of that though.

The engine is enroute on a truck at this time from MN

Forum Member

Very, very good.

Thread Information