Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Waterous Pump Intake Rust

We just picked up a 1990 Pierce Type I engine with a CMU Waterous pump. The pump intakes are badly corroded with rust nodules and surface rust. See images.

Name:  intake2.JPG
Views: 612
Size:  35.9 KBName:  intake4.JPG
Views: 598
Size:  41.1 KB

I can easily scrape of the big rust chunks. What is the best way to approach this problem? I am thinking a complete tear down, scrape, sandblast then re-coat with proper coating. How would you tackle this?

Thanks

Forum Member

I don't think it needs to be that drastic. Remember, you're working with cast iron, so some rust is to be expected. Contact the Waterous Co. Service Dept. at 651 450 5200. There are some really knowledgeable folks in that group who will be happy to explain to you in detail what you have and what, if anything, should be done about it.

Good advice, I just spoke to a guy over at Waterous and he said we should just spray some CLR and scrape as much as we can then do a back flush.

Forum Member

Aren't you glad you asked them first? Any time I have a question, if I can't get it answered locally, that's my next call.

Quote Originally Posted by chiefengineer11 View Post
    Aren't you glad you asked them first? Any time I have a question, if I can't get it answered locally, that's my next call.
    Yes I am, thank you. They (Waterous) is even sending me a free manual for my pump and transmission. Now that's customer service...

Forum Member

Just one thing with Waterous, as you may have already found out - always, always, always be ready to give them the pump serial number (and the transmission number, if you're working on that). Every bit of information they have is filed by serial number. With it, they can tell you anything about YOUR pump. Without it, only maybe.

That was the first thing I did when I started going through Belle (Yeah I named the engine

Be a good time to check the anodes and replace them if need be and if your pump is so equipped. It may be plugs or a zinc screen over the intake. You may be able to retrofit the pump if it don't?
    Just a thought.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

Thanks St. Paul, There is a zinc plate on one side of the intake, but on the other side does not have one. Should it be on both sides? I guess it works by attracting the free oxygen molecules that oxidize iron.

Forum Member

I definitely agree with having the sacrificial screens on both steamer inlets, especially if you draft. Remember, these function as screens to prevent large foreign objects from passing into the pump.

Waterous also has them available for 2-1/2" pony inlets. Not terribly expensive, I think the last time I bought them they were $30 or so, but that's been at least two years ago.

Your pump manual, when it arrives, will show you where the anodes are or should go. I'd suggest putting screens in, including the pony inlets since they're the lowest point in the pump. Examine them periodically. If they erode quickly, then I'd add/replace anodes.
    Last edited by chiefengineer11; 11-01-2012 at 10:57 AM.

Forum Member

If the pump doesnt have aniodes install them. Waterous sells them. they will tell you where they go and how to install them. If you have hard water dont just rely on the screens

Thread Information