Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By BrooklynBorn

Thread: Spice and marijuana useage

Forum Member

Default Spice and marijuana useage

Okay well i plan on pursuing a career as a firefighter. But a problem im having in deciding if it is even worth it is im not sure i am able to even become one because of my past k2 and marijuana use. When i was 18 i made the stupid decision of smoking pot 3 times and smoking k2 one time back when it was legal. I don't want anyone to say to hide it from them our anything because i know for a fact honesty is the best policy so i plan to disclose everything. After i get a fire science degree and attend a fire academy with my own money I plan on getting certified as a intermediate-EMT. Will adding the fire academy and emt certification to my application help them look past my k2 and pot useage? if not, how much will it hurt me? by the time i am done with school i should be 21-22, will 3 years be enough time to have passed?

Forum Member

should be if you are telling the entire story, yes you may get cut from some departments, and others will have a time factor

as far as the k2, if it was legal, it should not be an issue, and should not have to report it, unless specificaly asked.

but also, you will be going against people that have no drug use!!!!!!!!!!!

Forum Member

okay thank you. I am planning on volunteering at a fire department to see if they will let me clean the trucks or just clean the station? to get my feet wet while im still in school. Besides this what other things could i do to look like more of a competitive applicant.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jon_delp View Post
    Okay well i plan on pursuing a career as a firefighter. But a problem im having in deciding if it is even worth it is im not sure i am able to even become one because of my past k2 and marijuana use. When i was 18 i made the stupid decision of smoking pot 3 times and smoking k2 one time back when it was legal. I don't want anyone to say to hide it from them our anything because i know for a fact honesty is the best policy so i plan to disclose everything. After i get a fire science degree and attend a fire academy with my own money I plan on getting certified as a intermediate-EMT. Will adding the fire academy and emt certification to my application help them look past my k2 and pot useage? if not, how much will it hurt me? by the time i am done with school i should be 21-22, will 3 years be enough time to have passed?

Find another type of job as the FD isn't for you. Don't know many who would hire you.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Jon,
    You don't need to find another field of work. I know personally, and have worked with plenty of ff's that have more than "experimented" with marijuana and other illegal substances. It doesn't make you a bad person or unworthy of a job as a firefighter. It just means you are human, and capable of mistakes. You seem to be on the right track. Learn from you're mistakes, put some time between the drug use and when you might be an eligible candidate (5-7 yrs, typically 21 is on the very young side to be hired). Volunteer, serve your community, serve your country, be an outstanding citizen who influences others and you will get what you deserve. Don't let your past define you, and for crying out loud don't make anymore stupid decisions (dui's, mistemeanor charges, speeding tickets, etc.).

Good luck!

Forum Member

Stay out of any trouble no traffic tickets if any kind, no contact with police, no drinking

Watch what you put on Facebook and the like

What state do you live in

You might check into some of this info:::

http://www.eatstress.com/resume.htm

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fire49 View Post
    Stay out of any trouble no traffic tickets if any kind, no contact with police, no drinking

Watch what you put on Facebook and the like

What state do you live in

You might check into some of this info:::

http://www.eatstress.com/resume.htm
    I live in michigan and thank you for the information. And i dont plan on drinking I went through that phase and luckly didnt have any run ins with police.

Forum Member

1 check what is required to just apply in Michigan and cities in that state, and go get the training/ certs

2 check different city web sites , some fire departments post their disaqualifiers or how far in the past they accept say drug use or dwi or other

Forum Member

If you stopped doing them and never got caught doing them then don't say a ****ing word ya idiot. Smoking pot a few times doesn't make you a bad person, you just can't do it if you want a firefighter job.

Forum Member

The polygraph will catch him if he lies when asked if he has ever.....
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    Agree ditto

Forum Member

A lot of departments only ask about criminal record, so there is a good chance it won't even come up.

If asked be honest, if 2, 3, 5 years (whatever) is too soon for that department then you can reapply later. Some few do have a zero tolerance policy, so just write those places off.

However understand if you are caught lying you are done, period. There is no waiting period on that, and some backgrounds will ask if you have ever taken and failed a background investigation, so it can follow you.

Forum Member

Not every place has a polygraph as part of the process.

Forum Member

Relax, man. No need to lie about a little weed or spice.

I've never heard of a department with a pre-employment zero tolerance policy on marijuana or other drugs/alcohol. I'd like to meet both guys that work there. They must be nice guys and awesome firefighters.

Seriously though, stay away from that synthetic crap. It's dangerous.

Forum Member

1. There are fire departments that give polygraph tests? That's a bit absurd.

Quote Originally Posted by Firemedic515 View Post
    Relax, man. No need to lie about a little weed or spice.

I've never heard of a department with a pre-employment zero tolerance policy on marijuana or other drugs/alcohol. I'd like to meet both guys that work there. They must be nice guys and awesome firefighters.

Seriously though, stay away from that synthetic crap. It's dangerous.
    I agree. If you are drug free at the time of screening and say "well, a few years ago I did do a little..." you will probably be fine in most places. Pot isn't the same as shooting heroin. And ditto about the synthetic pot. If you are going to do anything, the real stuff is a lot safer. There's no regulation on synthetic cannabinoids and you don't know what you're getting when you consume them. I've had several patients who were having pretty terrible days because they smoked some of that **** and the reaction was not pretty. Kinda reminds me of angel dust.

Forum Member

i dont think fire departments in michigan polygraph, i know for sure 90% of police departments in michigan dont. or use the voice stress test

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    1. There are fire departments that give polygraph tests? That's a bit absurd.

I agree. If you are drug free at the time of screening and say "well, a few years ago I did do a little..." you will probably be fine in most places. Pot isn't the same as shooting heroin. And ditto about the synthetic pot. If you are going to do anything, the real stuff is a lot safer. There's no regulation on synthetic cannabinoids and you don't know what you're getting when you consume them. I've had several patients who were having pretty terrible days because they smoked some of that **** and the reaction was not pretty. Kinda reminds me of angel dust.
    I agree, i had a bad time with the spice thats why i only did it once and swore myself to never do it again lol

Forum Member

No need to worry man, smoking pot a few times wont keep you from becoming a firefighter. Things like DUI's will keep you out, not smoking weed.

Forum Member

You think that smoking pot a couple of times at the age of 18 is enough to tell someone to give up on their dream of becoming a fireman CaptOldTimer? And then threaten that the polygraph will catch him, LOL. This is a very extreme point of view jon_delp and it's far from being widely accepted in the fire service. Very few fire depts use a polygraph. Some of the finest firemen I've ever worked along side, and some of the best captains I've ever had the privilege to work for, have smoked pot at some point in their lives. The truth is, not a big deal. Keep your nose clean and work hard, it sounds like you have a good attitude which is probably the biggest asset you could have. Good luck!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Torpedo View Post
    You think that smoking pot a couple of times at the age of 18 is enough to tell someone to give up on their dream of becoming a fireman CaptOldTimer? And then threaten that the polygraph will catch him, LOL. This is a very extreme point of view jon_delp and it's far from being widely accepted in the fire service. Very few fire depts use a polygraph. Some of the finest firemen I've ever worked along side, and some of the best captains I've ever had the privilege to work for, have smoked pot at some point in their lives. The truth is, not a big deal. Keep your nose clean and work hard, it sounds like you have a good attitude which is probably the biggest asset you could have. Good luck!
    Thanks for your input on the situation. This has really motivated me even more

Forum Member

I have a question. Right now I am currently working 4 part time jobs and it's hard enough to keep them straight. I have been late to one job twice in the past two years because I wrote the wrong times down in my planner, will that ding me points for being hired? Thank You.

Forum Member

No

As long as no other problems

Forum Member

capt bob never smoked pot in his whole life?
    Last edited by BrooklynBorn; 11-03-2012 at 10:01 AM.
    Leather_4_Ever likes this.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Thread Information