Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 29101112131415 LastLast
Like Tree75Likes

Thread: Union Thuggery in NJ

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MBarnes View Post
    I missed the part in your post where you said NO and BR are not in your area.

Care to name the "larger departments" you were referring to?

And the second sentence just proves that union employees do NOT get paid more than their non-union counterparts. Thank you very much.
    Look on the map ... northwest LA.

The starting pay for both of these career departments are in the mid-30'sthis area. If they are Paramedic it adds $5-6K through both a straight certification incentive and pay differential for being on the bus, so a rookie with a Paramedic cert can easily start out at about $38-40K.

A few of the fire districts are close, 2 of them being union and the rest are not.
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 11-29-2012 at 09:42 PM.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireMedic049 View Post
    No you aren't! As I've already explained, being allowed to sleep and relax during "downtime" is NOT the same thing as actually being paid to do so.
    Call it what you want.

Shift personnel are paid for their availability while sleeping and relaxing watching TV.

I worked part-time for a district where I was paid minimum wage from 10PM-6AM unless we went on a run. Obviously that is a rare exception.

You still haven't answered the question... Name one overpaid fire department... just one....

Nevermind. You have proven once again that you are nothing more than a lying sack of excremental matter.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    Call it what you want.

Shift personnel are paid for their availability
    while sleeping and relaxing watching TV.
    Exactly, they are being paid for their availability to respond to calls during those times and not for those activities.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyChiefGonzo View Post
    You still haven't answered the question... Name one overpaid fire department... just one....

Nevermind. You have proven once again that you are nothing more than a lying sack of excremental matter.
    That might be giving too much credit. A sack of excremental matter can at least be used as a fertilizer.

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

[QUOTE=DeputyChiefGonzo;1349413]You still haven't answered the question... Name one overpaid fire department... just one....

[QUOTE]

He can't because everything he has quoted in his post is more lies.

I would wager that the 2 guys that told him the FD buys their food laugh their asses off at him about that whopper he fell for.
    “The person who risks nothing, does nothing, has nothing, is nothing, and becomes nothing. He may avoid suffering and sorrow, but he simply cannot learn and feel and change and grow and love and live.” Leo F. Buscaglia

This place gets weirder and weirder every day...

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    I would wager that the 2 guys that told him the FD buys their food laugh their asses off at him about that whopper he fell for.
    Yup. You called that one. Not only is he a chicken schit about fighting fires, he's a chicken schit about backing what he says......
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Call it what you want.

Shift personnel are paid for their availability while sleeping and relaxing watching TV.

I worked part-time for a district where I was paid minimum wage from 10PM-6AM unless we went on a run. Obviously that is a rare exception.
    The truth of the matter is the communities that have paid personnel recognize the hazard of no guarantee ever of any response with volunteers or paid on call personnel. Is that a rip on vollies? Nope, but it is the truth and you know it. The community has decided they want career paid personnel in quarters 24/7/365 so that a response is 100% guaranteed every time the tones drop. You don't want to admit that it chafes your azz that that is the REAL REASON for career personnel is a call volume that is far too high for vollies to handle so they begin to fade away and soon the response is not only inadequate but downright dangerous for the community and the very few vollies that still responded.

So yes, there are times we are watching tv, or reading, or on the internet, or even sleeping, but that does not change the true reason we are there. We are there because the community wants a guaranteed response in a timely manner so that lives and property have a better chance of being saved. I will not apologize for that, and frankly who gives a crap what you think anyways. How many hours a week do you waste here on line during your daytime shift? If you job is so critical and so vital to the safety of the community how can you justify sitting behind your desk spreading nonsense on the internet? You are a far greater slug on your communities resource because YOU are supposed to be working, not wasting valuable time during that short shift you work. Once again your hypocrisy holds no bounds...
    Last edited by FyredUp; 11-29-2012 at 10:38 PM.
    “The person who risks nothing, does nothing, has nothing, is nothing, and becomes nothing. He may avoid suffering and sorrow, but he simply cannot learn and feel and change and grow and love and live.” Leo F. Buscaglia

The truth of the matter is the communities that have paid personnel recognize the hazard of no guarantee ever of any response with volunteers or paid on call personnel. Is that a rip on vollies? Nope, but it is the truth and you know it. The community has decided they want career paid personnel in quarters 24/7/365 so that a response is 100% guaranteed every time the tones drop. You don't want to admit that it chafes your azz that that is the REAL REASON for career personnel is a call volume that is far too high for vollies to handle so they begin to fade away and soon the response is not only inadequate but downright dangerous for the community and the very few vollies that still responded.

So yes, there are times we are watching tv, or reading, or on the internet, or even sleeping, but that does not change the true reason we are there. We are there because the community wants a guaranteed response in a timely manner so that lives and property have a better chance of being saved. I will not apologize for that, and frankly who gives a crap what you think anyways. How many hours a week do you waste here on line during your daytime shift? If you job is so critical and so vital to the safety of the community how can you justify sitting behind your desk spreading nonsense on the internet? You are a far greater slug on your communities resource because YOU are supposed to be working, not wasting valuable time during that short shift you work. Once again your hypocrisy holds no bounds...
    I would like to initiate a standing ovation for this spot-on post. Anyone care to join me?

LA, there is a term that actual firefighters use, I suggest you learn the meaning of B.O.H.I.C.A...
    FWDbuff, scfire86, rm1524 and 1 others like this.
    IAFF

Call it what you want.

Is it hard to breathe with your head so far up your ***?
    "If it was easy, someone else would of done it already." - Lt. Ray McCormack FDNY

- Firefighter 1 / HAZMAT Ops / EMT-B

Quote Originally Posted by snowball View Post
    I would like to initiate a standing ovation for this spot-on post. Anyone care to join me?

LA, there is a term that actual firefighters use, I suggest you learn the meaning of B.O.H.I.C.A...
    Thanks Brother!

Bravo!!!!!!!!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Never once did I attack firefighter for sleeping on duty as it is part of the position, but I simply stated a fact that most of the public recognizes. The workload of a shift firefighter, when looked at the actual work time v. downtime, in most cases, is much lighter than that of a plumber, carpenter, nurse or any other position that some here wanted to compare themselves to. To expect to be paid the same per hour when in most cases, we have that much downtime, including sleeping time, involved in the position is simply ridiculous.

If you want to compare saleries and whine that we are underpaid, you have to compare apples v. apples and look at the work produced. Bottom line is unless you are in a very busy company or the department keeps you very busy when not on runs, the actual work produced per hour is far less when compared to occupations that do not offer the downtime in the fire station that we have.

Being able to sleep and have that downtime is a perk of the job. Call it being available, I really don't care but it is simply unproductive time, and it is a perk that the position offers. But the simple fact is when the public looks at the position, that is what they see, but the fact is that given the actual work time involved in many firefighting positions, most firefighters are fairly well compensated for what we do.

As far as DC Gonzo's insistence that I mention overpaid department's, I'm not going to but I will say that there are departments and stations in some pretty busy departments in this area that do relatively speaking limited response duty and the personnel are paid fairly well. And I'm sure every every area has such departments and stations.

As far as your personal attack, it's par for the course.

As far as the entire topic, I have said what i have needed to say, unless you wish to throw another personal insult into the discussion.

As far as DC Gonzo's insistence that I mention overpaid department's, I'm not going to but I will say that there are departments and stations in some pretty busy departments in this area that do relatively speaking limited response duty and the personnel are paid fairly well. And I'm sure every every area has such departments and stations.
    In other words...

You have nothing.

To paraphrase your words...
    I will say that there are departments and stations in some pretty busy departments in this area that have personnel that do relatively speaking limited response duty and those personnel are paid fairly well.

Look in the mirror Bobby.. you described yourself perfectly.
    Last edited by DeputyChiefGonzo; 11-30-2012 at 07:02 AM.
    FWDbuff likes this.
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

In other words...

You have nothing.

To paraphrase your words...

No, I just won't name them.

There is one combi department that runs no EMS at all, department that has 5 fulltime members per shift and does about 500 calls per year. And they are well paid for it as well as well as the city does stock thier freezers. I guess yiou can call that whatever you wish but the guiys are happioer than crap because they know they have it good.

I know of another department - in fact we used to do thier transportsat my private gig until they got thier own ambos -that runs out of 2 stations and does about 2 runs per day and almost never turns thier wheels to a fire. In fact I slept the night 90% of the time I was stationed there. Easy gig and probably the second highest paid combo department in thier parish. We have a couple of guys here that work part-time for them and they'll tell you it's the easist job they ever worked.

To be fair, there are departments where the oppiste is tur. The Captain at my VFD used to work for one where they were very busy and starts at less than 20K without a whole lot in terms of raises down the line.

Look in the mirror Bobby.. you described yourself perfectly.
    My job isn't the most difficult either nthough it does take somebody commiteed to delivering quality pub ed to do it well. And yes, I may be overpaid.
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 11-30-2012 at 10:24 AM.

My job isn't the most difficult either nthough it does take somebody commiteed to delivering quality pub ed to do it well. And yes, I may be overpaid.
    Especially if you're making over minimum wage. My daughter wrote better copy than you.

When she was in the 4th grade. It's obvious communication skills were not part of the job description.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

in other words.. you can't hack being on the job and the BPFD put you in a position where you could do the least harm and all you can handle is Pub Ed (by the way... congratulations on finally spelling the abbreviation right, it only took 8 years )

You are definitely overpaid...
    scfire86 likes this.
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Nothing wrong with a good debate...but when did firefighters become so catty? I've been perusing the forum, and this thread is a good example of the abounding p!$$!ness that many of you will try to characterize as "banter." I can only imagine what this thread would sound like if the posts were actually said aloud (the sound of cackling hens come to mind). Lay off the estrogen gents and disagree without the middle school antics. Jeez!
    Last edited by laddernhook; 11-30-2012 at 12:02 PM.

in other words.. you can't hack being on the job and the BPFD put you in a position where you could do the least harm and all you can handle is Pub Ed (by the way... congratulations on finally spelling the abbreviation right, it only took 8 years )

You are definitely overpaid...
    It's obvious he was a wannabe that ended up a neverwill.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

Laddernhook....

If you want an insight about why many of us counter LA's posts... do yourself a favor and read through some of his past posts....

His "viewpoint" is the antithesis of what firefighters are and what the job is. If I were near a bus stop, I wold make damn sure he is nowhere near....
    RyanK63 likes this.
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Thread Information