Like Tree75Likes

Thread: Union Thuggery in NJ

Forum Member

NJ is not turning away anyones help.... Crews from Ohio restored power to my area. I couldn't thank them enough, union or non-union.

On a different note, has anyone heard from Bones42.... He lives in an area that got hammered.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-RFB-KTF

Forum Member

One article even stated that their are local, municipal power companies that employ linemen unaffiliated with the IBEW. So I find it hard to think they'd turn away outside help that isn't IBEW. There is so much anti-union garbage out there, I wouldn't be surprised if the admin bailed as soon as anything with an IBEW seal, even if it was a gift basket saying "thanks for helping"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    I would stay from folks like Breitbart.

In another era they would have been called muckrakers.
    Until yesterday I had never even heard of them. They have certain stories where videos or interviews from other news agencies are used or embedded and it cane make things a little difficult to see whose story you are actually reading.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    I can eat crow when it's due.
    As you should on this one.

Based on what came up for me off your link, it's a horribly written "news" article. NO WHERE in the article does it state WHO supposedly refused the assistance of the non-union labor! This should've been a "red flag" for you right away rather than assume the refusal came directly from any labor union.

Forum Member

I am here. We got hammered, not as bad as towns we respond mutual aid to, but bad. And the story is a lie. All help has been accepted.
    Trkco1 likes this.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    I am here. We got hammered, not as bad as towns we respond mutual aid to, but bad. And the story is a lie. All help has been accepted.
    Glad you're ok
    IAFF

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    Good to hear you're okay.

Stay safe.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

Forum Member

Black feathers on my lips... The story got me. However, I had read it in other media, not from Breitbart, so I don't feel AS bad.

More important than anything is that you Jerseyites, New Yawkers, and other assorted People Who Don't Talk Like Me are all OK. Best of luck in the recovery.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    --General James Mattis, USMC

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireMedic049 View Post
    As you should on this one.

Based on what came up for me off your link, it's a horribly written "news" article. NO WHERE in the article does it state WHO supposedly refused the assistance of the non-union labor! This should've been a "red flag" for you right away rather than assume the refusal came directly from any labor union.
    Then follow this link:

http://dailycaller.com/2012/11/03/am...-or-stay-home/

It also has a PDF of the "contract" the IBEW insisted upon before letting people help out. I don't know where you got your news but, maybe Breitbart isn't that far off the mark after all. Or, is Barry Moline, executive director of Florida Municipal Electric Association full of hokum too?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firepundit View Post
    Then follow this link:

http://dailycaller.com/2012/11/03/am...-or-stay-home/

It also has a PDF of the "contract" the IBEW insisted upon before letting people help out. I don't know where you got your news but, maybe Breitbart isn't that far off the mark after all. Or, is Barry Moline, executive director of Florida Municipal Electric Association full of hokum too?
    I'll take the word of the department heads over the Daily Caller.

No one knows where this letter originated. That says a lot right there.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    I'll take the word of the department heads over the Daily Caller.

No one knows where this letter originated. That says a lot right there.
    And I'll take the words of the executive director of Florida Municipal Electric Association over yours any day of the week.
    CaptOldTimer likes this.

Forum Member

Bones... I'm glad to hear you're okay.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Why? What did he do wrong n this situation? It seems response is a hell of a lot faster than for Katrina.
    Fyred - as someone who responded to katrina and am now in NJ -First you cant compare them - biggest difference is accessability to the area - second is less wide spread ,you dont have to drive far to find an up and running infrastructure,(this thing will get better fast when the power is restored)- third -the citizens here have a good attitude and work ethic.
    As far as femas response -they are throwing as many people as they can on it. As much presence as possible,but are we getting the help where it is needed faster than katrina? not that I can see.
    ?

Forum Member

can this idiotic f*cking title be changed please
    DeputyChiefGonzo likes this.
    Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

Forum Member

is it becoming a recurring theme that LAFireEducator is right? Because scfire86 is totally wrong in what FEMA is supposed to do, what USAR can do, and how the local needs to ask the state who needs to ask FEMA for help, FEMA can't just take over because they want to. And that doesn't matter if you are in the middle of nowhere or big city department

damn, another win for LAFire, what's the world coming to?
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    can this idiotic f*cking title be changed please
    ... .

Forum Member

Change it to "Union Thuggery Causes Snack Food Maker to Close".

That title will fit.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

That title will fit.

Expressing your toolness any way you can, huh?

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

That title will fit.
    Are you really that uninformed or just a troll?

If you read anything on the business history of Hostess they repeatedly shot themselves in the foot. They have filed for reorganization under bankruptcy laws before, the last time in 2011. They attempted to destroy their famous Wonder Bread line by closing regional bakeries, adding preservatives that changes the taste and texture of the bread costing them customers. They failed to join the market with a whole wheat or multi-grain bread until way late in the change over to that type of bread. They hired incompetent managers that despite previous wage and benefit concessions from employees still couldn't keep the company viable, even after failing to pay $160 million owed to the pension fund, in direct violation of the Union contract. Yes the strike was the final hole in the Hostess boat that sank the company, but a little history shows that previous holes had been plugged with chewing gum.

Do some research before spouting off, you won't look so uninformed or just plain ignorant.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the pay raises for upper management at the time the company was saying it was broke...

As the company was asking for more givebacks from workers, a group of creditors said in court papers that the company “may have manipulated its executives’ salaries higher in the months leading up to its Chapter 11 filing,” again according to the WSJ. According to the creditors’ court filing, the following Hostess executives saw substantial salary increases in July 2011:

■Brian Driscoll, CEO, from around $750,000 to $2,550,000
    ■Gary Wandscheider, EVP, $500,000 to $900,000
    ■John Stewart, EVP, $400,000 to $700,000
    ■David Loeser, EVP, $375,000 to $656,256
    ■Kent Magill, EVP, $375,000 to $656,256
    ■Richard Seban, EVP, $375,00o to $656,256
    ■John Akeson, SVP, $300,000 to $480,000
    ■Steven Birgfeld, SVP, $240,000 to $360,000
    ■Martha Ross, SVP, $240,000 to $360,000
    ■Rob Kissick, SVP, $182,000 t0 $273,008
    Last edited by FyredUp; 11-20-2012 at 04:39 PM.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

I'm going with an uninformed troll.

Forum Member

I don't think GT is a troll, and I don't think he's uninformed either. I think he has just been "informed" for too long by Fox, Rush, Hannity, Fox, and Fox. He thinks he's welcome into their club when they just need his soul for traction on their way to more and more for them.

GT buddy, switch that radio station to some music, I hear that FM thing is really starting to catch on!
    FyredUp and ATFDFF like this.
    IAFF

Forum Member

I've got a riddle for ya, GT. What union killed Kodak?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by snowball View Post
    I don't think GT is a troll, and I don't think he's uninformed either. I think he has just been "informed" for too long by Fox, Rush, Hannity, Fox, and Fox. He thinks he's welcome into their club when they just need his soul for traction on their way to more and more for them.

GT buddy, switch that radio station to some music, I hear that FM thing is really starting to catch on!
    He needs to go from "Faux Shlock" to CLASSIC ROCK!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

If you read anything on the business history of Hostess they repeatedly shot themselves in the foot. They have filed for reorganization under bankruptcy laws before, the last time in 2011. They attempted to destroy their famous Wonder Bread line by closing regional bakeries, adding preservatives that changes the taste and texture of the bread costing them customers. They failed to join the market with a whole wheat or multi-grain bread until way late in the change over to that type of bread. They hired incompetent managers that despite previous wage and benefit concessions from employees still couldn't keep the company viable, even after failing to pay $160 million owed to the pension fund, in direct violation of the Union contract. Yes the strike was the final hole in the Hostess boat that sank the company, but a little history shows that previous holes had been plugged with chewing gum.

Do some research before spouting off, you won't look so uninformed or just plain ignorant.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the pay raises for upper management at the time the company was saying it was broke...
    Yeah man, I am a troll. 7 years and ~3,000 posts just to mask my real reason for being here. Good one.

I realize that my views on this particular subject won't align with most of the guys in this forum or in the fire service in general.

I got over that a long time ago.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

Forum Member

Yeah man, I am a troll. 7 years and ~3,000 posts just to mask my real reason for being here. Good one.

I realize that my views on this particular subject won't align with most of the guys in this forum or in the fire service in general.

I got over that a long time ago.
    7 years and 3000 posts and you cant see why this absolutely idiotic thread is offensive? BMA.

Lets all plug our ears with our fingers and blame it on our "views not aligning".
    Last edited by nyckftbl; 11-21-2012 at 12:49 AM.

Thread Information