Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Charlotte, NC 2012/2013 Hiring Process

Forum Member

Now that the test is over how does every think they did?

Forum Member

Surprisingly this was the same test they have been using for the past three years with the addition of the judgement questions at the end. The word through the grape vine was this was going to be a totally reformatted test this year. I wonder how heavily those questions will weigh on the overall test grade or be used throughout the process for candidate selection. I remember one question gave two choices and both didn't seem like they should be the proper response.

Forum Member

Thought I did good on the Richmond exam..... Just got the "thank you for playing email". You just never know.

Forum Member

Charlotte was definitely the exact same test as last year, but as stated, with the new 60 personality questions at the end (or as they called it - Biodata). I feel confident I passed it for sure on the right/wrong section. Not sure how/when they will use the Biodata part. I know the application this year was a lot less detailed in terms of personal info, criminal history, references, etc. Anyone heard any scuttle-butt about why the application was so basic compared to last years?

Forum Member

I was thinking the same thing about the application, i remember last years application requiring a lot more information upfront.
    The difficult part to the biodata questions is remaining consistent with your answers. There was several questions that were the same just formatted differently and the important thing is answering the questions the same way.

Forum Member

Usually the in depth background questions come in the packet (online) you are to fill out after passing the CPAT. Previously the initial application did ask more questions but this years application was through the city website and is likely the same application any other person looking for a city job is given so my guess will be the background questionnaire after the CPAT will be a little bit longer this year and will probably have a few questions in regards to previous fire service. All just speculation of course. I know they did make major changes in the HR department the last two years.

Forum Member

What has been the cut off score on the test for taking the CPAT?

Forum Member

I'm not sure they even give the score in Charlotte. I know they didn't last year. They only sent an email that said congrats, and to schedule you CPAT.

Forum Member

As Wolfpack mentioned you will not receive a physical grade back. Simply a pass or fail which the pass notification will say Congrats and give instructions on how to go about scheduling your CPAT run.

MembersZone Subscriber

Is the test actually a pass/fail... or do they just not tell you the score and only let you know if you continue on to the CPAT.. I only ask because I have seen it done both ways at other departments!

Forum Member

As far as I know it is pass/fail, but they do let you know both ways (at least last year they did). I had a friend get an email letting him know he did not pass the written and would not be moving on to the CPAT.

Forum Member

So when do you think the emails will be going out, they said around 3 weeks and that is this weekend

Forum Member

I received my Congrats you passed e-mail. Looks like the follow up e-mail with instructions on how to sign up for the CPAT will be sent next week.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by KingTut99 View Post
    I received my Congrats you passed e-mail. Looks like the follow up e-mail with instructions on how to sign up for the CPAT will be sent next week.
    Congrats, Its kind of funny in the 3 hours since i posted asking about the email i got an email saying i passed

Forum Member

I got mine as well. Passed.

IFR
    MembersZone Subscriber

Does anyone know the number of candidates they are taking to the CPAT?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by IFR View Post
    Does anyone know the number of candidates they are taking to the CPAT?
    Everyone who passed the written goes to the CPAT. After that it becomes a game of luck and chance on whether or not you will be brought back in for the background, poly, interviews etc. It's a long process but well worth it if your lucky enough to make it through all the phases and eventually start a great career with the CFD.

Forum Member

I'm still curious how many people passed the test and are moving to the CPAT. if i remember correctly around 1500 people took the test so i would figure about half passed. Also any idea on how many they are looking to hire? how many did they hire the last few years?

Forum Member

Anybody get the email about scheduling the CPAT yet? I haven't seen it come through. They said this week, so I guess that leaves tomorrow.

Forum Member

I just got my email.

All CPAT activities will be held at the Fire Training Academy (1770 Shopton Road). You must log on to http://cfdapplyonline.com/and complete the online registration.

Registration is open from 9:00 AM Monday February 25th until 5:00PM Eastern time on Monday, March 11, 2013.

Thread Information