Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Charlotte, NC 2012/2013 Hiring Process

Forum Member

Default Charlotte, NC 2012/2013 Hiring Process

Information about jobs with CFD and the City of Charlotte

The Charlotte Fire Department employs over 1,100 men and women, of which more than 90% are employed within the Operations Division. Our hiring needs vary from year to year, however it is our goal to continually seek out highly qualified and diverse candidates to join our world class organization.

For more information about becoming a Charlotte Firefighter click here

2012 Firefighter Hiring Process Updates

The Charlotte Fire Department has filled all open vacancies from the 2012 Hiring Process. If you wish to be considered for future employment, we strongly encourage you to participate in the 2013 Hiring Process, which opens on Monday November 26, 2012. Please continue to check our website for updates on the hiring process.

2013 Firefighter Hiring Process

Please note the following important dates for the upcoming 2013 Firefighter Process:

Firefighter Application Period: November 26, 2012- December 9, 2012

Written Entrance Exam: January 26, 2013

Website: http://www.charmeck.org/city/charlot...s/JoinCFD.aspx
    Last edited by Pugsley67; 12-19-2012 at 04:38 PM.

Forum Member

Anyone else filled out the application for this coming year notice it was significantly less detailed than last years? The criminal history and driving record section were very basic and it didn't ask anything about past drug use or for references. Additionally, didn't see a place where you could attach a resume or cover letter like last year. Last years was through the CFD website and this years links you to an application on the generic city job posting page.

MembersZone Subscriber

Few questions for anyone with information.
    Is the starting salary enough to live off of for a young single guy?
    Also, I have heard mixed things about retirement. Some say that they have a great retirement plan but I have also heard that you lose your health benefits after retirement. any information would be great!

Forum Member

The starting salary is $38,xxx per year, with a 5%/10% supplement for an Associates/Bachelors degree after passing the recruit school. So yes, it is plenty to live off of for a young, responsible single guy. From what I understand, come of the health benefits have gone away, but it is still a lot better than if you worked in the private sector your whole career. I am not sure of all the details on this, but it is just what I have heard through the grapevine.
    Last edited by Wolfpack94; 12-04-2012 at 07:35 AM.
    IFR likes this.

Forum Member

What's the deal with the tattoo policy? Are tattoos not allowed to be visible?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fire34fighter View Post
    What's the deal with the tattoo policy? Are tattoos not allowed to be visible?
    That's what it sounds like. The website says no tattoos visible when wearing short sleeve polo shirt.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfpack94 View Post
    The starting salary is $38,xxx per year, with a 5%/10% supplement for an Associates/Bachelors degree after passing the recruit school. So yes, it is plenty to live off of for a young, responsible single guy. From what I understand, come of the health benefits have gone away, but it is still a lot better than if you worked in the private sector your whole career. I am not sure of all the details on this, but it is just what I have heard through the grapevine.
    Also consider the average apartment in the area for a single three room loft is $600 a month excluding utilities, its about 7,200 a year or 38-7.2=30,800 to play with for your needs. Even better this is excluding overtime. Personally I'd take this one in a heartbeat, why? Third largest FD that does not cross buses with firefighters, great promotional and special teams opportunities, fast growing city, and unique structures as compared to other southern cities. This is a very good FD to take.

MembersZone Subscriber

I definitely keep hearing the same thing, and it's all good things. My main concern was the pay (I know I won;t be getting rich doing this, but just enough to live comfortably) and the retirement. Now, I understand it is a very large department, and like anywhere there are busy companies and there are slow ones. How hard is it to get into a busy company?

Forum Member

I'm an out of state applicant and curious to know if Charlotte has a preference for local applicants, or if residency matters at all? Charlotte is a popular destination for transplants and a lot of people from out of state have applied for CFD the past few years (myself included). Can anyone comment on the demographic make-up of the last few hiring classes (i.e., whether there were any folks from out of state in those classes, and approx how many)?
    Last edited by FIREJAWZ; 12-05-2012 at 09:43 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

For those of you preparing for the Charlotte fire exam, go to the link to review our custom designed exam prep.

http://www.fireprep.com/charlotte_fi...exam_pre1.html

Assistant Chief Brent Collins, Cleveland Fire Dept.
    Firehouse.com Entry Level Contributor Author since 2002
    www.fireprep.com
    1-800-989-FIRE
    Last edited by dmfireschool; 12-05-2012 at 10:42 AM.

Forum Member

Has anyone received a notice on the location and time of the written exam on January 26? Last year, we all received an e-mail with this information immediately after we completed our online application. But the application process is different this time around - and I haven't received any additional info on the test.

Forum Member

Only an email confirmation that my application was received. If I remember correctly from last year, they send out the notice of your date and time of exam, along with location, after the application period has closed (which happens to be today). I would expect an email with further info within the next few days.

Forum Member

Notices for the test went out today (or at least I got one)

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by proofyeq View Post
    Notices for the test went out today (or at least I got one)
    Same here. I got one too.

Forum Member

I just got mine as well.

On a side note does anyone have any suggestions for hotels in the area of the testing site. I'm not sure if everyone has the same testing site but mine is at the Oasis Shriners Headquarters.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pugsley67 View Post
    I just got mine as well.

On a side note does anyone have any suggestions for hotels in the area of the testing site. I'm not sure if everyone has the same testing site but mine is at the Oasis Shriners Headquarters.
    That area of town is the University City area. Here is an Expedia link that shows several hotels in the area.

http://www.expedia.com/University-Pl...-Filter-Hotels

Forum Member

Thanks for the link on hotels. Was wondering if anyone has heard how many the department is seeking to hire. If you have any information or have gotten a direct answer from HR that would be great! Good luck to everyone

Forum Member

Is everyone ready for the test? Is there anyone taking this test that took the test in Richmond last week?

IFR
    MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Pugsley67 View Post
    Is everyone ready for the test? Is there anyone taking this test that took the test in Richmond last week?
    I think so, the only really tricky part will be the memory portion I think. Yeah, I was at the Richmond test last week as well. How you feeling about this test?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by IFR View Post
    I think so, the only really tricky part will be the memory portion I think. Yeah, I was at the Richmond test last week as well. How you feeling about this test?
    Pretty good, The ones i would say that gave me the most difficultly were the most/least appropriate questions, pretty much the choices came down to do/say nothing, talk to the person, talk to other people or rat to the chief. I just wasnt sure what would be the best answer they were looking for. Its not that the questions were difficult to answer its just i wasnt sure the best answer they were looking for. What did you think about them?

Forum Member

Now that the test is over how does every think they did?

Forum Member

Surprisingly this was the same test they have been using for the past three years with the addition of the judgement questions at the end. The word through the grape vine was this was going to be a totally reformatted test this year. I wonder how heavily those questions will weigh on the overall test grade or be used throughout the process for candidate selection. I remember one question gave two choices and both didn't seem like they should be the proper response.

Forum Member

Thought I did good on the Richmond exam..... Just got the "thank you for playing email". You just never know.

Forum Member

Charlotte was definitely the exact same test as last year, but as stated, with the new 60 personality questions at the end (or as they called it - Biodata). I feel confident I passed it for sure on the right/wrong section. Not sure how/when they will use the Biodata part. I know the application this year was a lot less detailed in terms of personal info, criminal history, references, etc. Anyone heard any scuttle-butt about why the application was so basic compared to last years?

Forum Member

I was thinking the same thing about the application, i remember last years application requiring a lot more information upfront.
    The difficult part to the biodata questions is remaining consistent with your answers. There was several questions that were the same just formatted differently and the important thing is answering the questions the same way.

Thread Information