Thread: Oakland, CA

Forum Member

MembersZone Subscriber

I would also be interested to know which written test they use. Anyone have any idea how many they are looking to hire?

Forum Member

their applications are up right now on governmentjobs.com to apply; it seems like they are heavily recruiting bilingual speakers, primarily of spanish and chinese dialects based on the application.

Forum Member

A bit confused on the applicant requirements. The flyer states EMT, CPR and CPAT prior to interview. On the application it says:

REQUIRED DOCUMENTS: Applicants MUST submit a scanned copy of all the following documents in order to qualify for participation in the recruitment process:

*Valid CPR Card, ACLS Card, ITLS, PHTLS Card(s), PALS, or PEPP

*EMT Certification, EMT-P Certification, or National Registry EMT-P License

(Please limit required documents to 1 or 2 full page(s))

Also:

3. Do you have a valid CPR Card, ACLS Card, ITLS, PHTLS Card(s), PALS, or PEPP?

Hope theses aren't required, the way they word it I leads me to believe that they are. Turned it in anyway, see what happens.

Forum Member

I did not like reading this from a article earlier this year:

With the dissolution of the Oakland Redevelopment Agency, the city is dealing with budget cuts and layoffs. Fire department officials are not looking to increase staffing, but rather to maintain the staffing they already have. “The whole redevelopment issue came up and they [the city council] had to rebalance their budget,” Deloach-Reed said. “Luckily the fire department was not affected by that budget. We were able to get through without personal losses during that period.”

“We may not be that safe the next time around,” she added.

Quote came from:

http://oaklandnorth.net/2012/03/23/f...-series-draft/

Forum Member

This is what happened to the last group hired:

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?sec...bay&id=6812032

MembersZone Subscriber

For those of you taking the upcoming Oakland Fire exam, go to the link below for custom designed exam prep. Good luck !!

http://www.fireprep.com/oakland_fire...xaminatio.html

Assistant Chief Brent Collins, Cleveland Fire Dept.
    Firehouse.com Entry Level Contributor Author since 2002

More Career articles and exam prep strategies by Chief Collins can be found at the link below
    http://cms.firehouse.com/content/con.../bio.jsp?id=17

www.fireprep.com
    1-800-989-FIRE
    Last edited by dmfireschool; 11-21-2012 at 06:29 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dmfireschool View Post
    For those of you taking the upcoming Oakland Fire exam, go to the link below for custom designed exam prep. Good luck !!
    How do you know what's going to be on a written exam that's not going to be given until February?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DMuñoz View Post
    How do you know what's going to be on a written exam that's not going to be given until February?
    They put out semi-generic test prep for most of the big city exams. They don't know what's on this one, but they go off of past exams and the description that has been made available. If you're somewhat new to the testing process, it may not be a bad idea to get a few hundred practice questions. Just my opinion though.

Forum Member

any update on test dates??? initial application said FEB test interview March. Happy New Year to ALL!!!

Forum Member

Just noticed my status changed on Governmentjobs.com to "scheduling for written test 2013".

Forum Member

Received an email late last night. My test is Monday, Feb 4th at 1pm. Not sure how many test sessions as well as test days they are holding.

Forum Member

I also received an email (actually got 3 for some reason) late last night for a written test on the 4th at 1pm. I haven't heard how many people they plan to hire or how many will be testing, although I expect a very large group to test.

Forum Member

Monday Feb.4th @8am.

Forum Member

Got an email saying that I'm out of the process because I didn't attach a copy of EMT cert. I did scan my NREMT cert and attached it. Should I contact HR?

Forum Member

Give it a shot, HR in most big agencies make a lot of mistakes. Do to the shear volume of stuff that cames in all at once, and sometimes an over worked less talented staff. Alway be sure to keep up on tests you apply for. because if they make a mistake and the process has moved on, you are out of luck.

I you reseach what the tesing process has been in the past, there have been a lot of odd things that have happened. Just be prepared for the odd and unusual.
    Good Luck, Capt Rob
    www.myfireinterview.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Polymer View Post
    Got an email saying that I'm out of the process because I didn't attach a copy of EMT cert. I did scan my NREMT cert and attached it. Should I contact HR?
    Log in to governmentjobs.com and click on view application status. Click on viewapp for your Oakland application and you can see which attachments you sent them. It's the best way to show that you attached your EMT card.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by WFD26 View Post
    Log in to governmentjobs.com and click on view application status. Click on viewapp for your Oakland application and you can see which attachments you sent them. It's the best way to show that you attached your EMT card.
    Yes, I just checked. The NREMT cert is indeed attached. I will try to contact HR on Monday. Never done it before, but I think getting in touch with the right person at HR is the hard part.
    Last edited by Polymer; 01-26-2013 at 04:51 PM.

Forum Member

Feb 4th at 1300. Where's everyone coming from?

Forum Member

polymer i received the same letter and all my certs were sent with my app. I have used government Jobs for many apps with the same certs, so far this is the first app. to be rejected. Lets hope HR can fix this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Candidate626 View Post
    polymer i received the same letter and all my certs were sent with my app. I have used government Jobs for many apps with the same certs, so far this is the first app. to be rejected. Lets hope HR can fix this.
    Keep me updated on your end. I'm planning to give HR a call on Monday. We'll be all right, brother.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Polymer View Post
    Keep me updated on your end. I'm planning to give HR a call on Monday. We'll be all right, brother.
    Got the same email, called HR yesterday and they said it was because I attached my national registry cert and not the national registry card. Oops my bad, oh well lesson learned.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisFrost View Post
    Got the same email, called HR yesterday and they said it was because I attached my national registry cert and not the national registry card. Oops my bad, oh well lesson learned.
    Yes, it seems like we are out of luck. HR told me that I did not follow directions and to come back next time and apply for the next recruitment.

On the flyer, it says "EMT license/certification." Now, because it indeed said license slash certification, I think many were led into thinking that the National Registry 8.5x11 certificate would suffice. After all, National Registry is National Registry. The card that goes in your wallet and your paper certificate are both the same thing.

It's alright, lesson learned. But I'm not going to lie, it still stings a little bit when something like this has happened. Good luck to those going forward.
    Last edited by Polymer; 01-31-2013 at 01:39 AM.

Forum Member

For those that took the written, what did you think?

Forum Member

I have seen this test a few times in 2012. I just received an email inviting me to interview the first week of march. Any one else??

Thread Information