Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Shyness

Forum Member

Default Shyness

Hi i am a junior firefighter. I just recently started going to the station and stuff and its fun and everything. But I have only one problem I am very shy.. Does anyone have any tips to overcome shyness?

Quote Originally Posted by FutureFirefighter44 View Post
    Hi i am a junior firefighter. I just recently started going to the station and stuff and its fun and everything. But I have only one problem I am very shy.. Does anyone have any tips to overcome shyness?
    I was more laid back and reserved before I became an EMT. I realized I needed to change that. Now honestly I don't shut up.

Only way to get passed it to me is talking to people you don't know any chance you get. Other tips I have heard of is to take a public speaking class.
    RIP Hela

"You have to do better then your best."
    BUD's instuctor Class 234

"A man who won't die for something is not fit to live."
    Martin Luther King, Jr

I have Aspergers syndrome so I have difficulty being around other people and making conversation. However, the more you talk to people, the more comfortable you'll be.

For example, I started my current job in customer service in 2009. I was very nervous, quiet, etc. But the more I talked to people, the more I opened up. Today, I'm very open with people and talkative.

So in a nutshell, here are some tips:
    1) Practice makes perfect. The more you talk with people, the more comfortable you'll be.
    2) Don't overdo talking to people or you'll become 'that guy'.
    3) Learn to laugh at yourself. I was bullied alot in middle and high school which was a main cause of my shyness. Today, I've learned that if you are the first person to laugh at yourself, no one else can make fun of you. For example, one day I got sick at work and vomited all over the back room. This would be a mortifying experience to some people, but I joke about it with the other coworkers and because of this is not embarrassing at all.

Hope this helps.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.

Thread Information