Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: anne arundel county

It's not so apples to oranges Jasper, some volly depts may play it fast and loose but it's the same training. I wouldn't discount your experience and training as a volunteer. Talk up your pride in the service. Make it a point to show you love it so much you are willing to do it for free, even if you don't go to career. Getting paid to do it is just a bonus. You often hear it said that it's a calling, not a job. I fully believe that.

If you have friends in other departments see if one of their experienced guys, maybe a career guy, would do some mock interviews with you and give you some pointers. It can't be someone you know. We tend to let our guard down with people we know and are more relaxed. You need something that will trigger your unconscious responses so you know what to work on. You may think you did fine but they may come back and tell you "you looked really nervous and wouldn't stop shaking your leg or messing with your rings, etc..." Trust me, it will help your interview skills a lot.

Also, I don't know what your situation is but go apply for jobs and just interview your *** off. Any job. I used to go to interviews all the time just to keep my skills fresh. It will make you a lot more comfortable.

There will be more opportunities my friend! Just consider this a step in the right direction, forward.

Forum Member

Unfortunately, i will not being seeing you guys at the CPAT, i scored an 83 on my oral interview. Good luck to you all

Forum Member

Photos,

I understand what you're saying regarding the passion for the job etc. I just come from a different mindset. I grew up and started my volunteering/testing outside New York City. You get crapped on there if they overhear you thinking the term "vollie."

Consider Joe Volunteer, goes to the station all the time, sleeps in, top responder, whole shpeal. He goes for his interview and conveys all of his "experiences" and "passion" for the job. How do they know if Joe Volunteer comes from a busy company with rigorous training requirements and multiple opportunities for high-stress incidents and not a rural or "old-school" company where his dad and two uncles were both Chiefs? What about the super-squirrels with their Big Johnson FD shirts? I personally had someone ask me if I had gotten any pictures of him slaying the red dragon at a shed fire.

I get that, in the end, its still put the wet stuff on the red stuff. That I am comfortable with. But ultimately, I am a volunteer. I train as best I can and do as much as I can to volunteer. But it isn't my full-time job, and I think at times, that is very evident. Basically, what I am saying is that yes, I have some of the same training, and some similar experiences as a career firefighter. But in the end, in my opinion, that should have zero bearing on whether or not I am more or less competent than the next guy as a potential trainee.

I promise I am not trying to argue with you, I guess its just a difference of opinion. Maybe I am too critical of myself. Thanks again for your encouraging words. Good luck to you in the process. Maybe my luck changes and I can be involved in the 2014 process.

Oh I understand Jasper, no need to explain. Like I said, I don't know what your situation is. It was just my views on the whole thing. Just be yourself, stay positive, and stay on track. I'm an old man with 30 years in my previous career. I've had plenty of people tell me this is a mistake, I'm too old, etc.. I still manage to prove them wrong. It was time for a change and a chance to do something I truly love and makes me happy. If it doesn't work out, so be it. I'll still be doing it anyway. What I won't do is stop pressing forward! So keep the faith brother, anything is possible. Keep pushing.

Forum Member

Just to give anybody still curious some insight into the possible threshhold for passing interview scores, I passed with an 88.5. Cutoff must have been between 83 and 88.5. Sorry to hear about those who are not moving on, good luck with your testing and interviewing, keep pushing forward!

Given the multiple orientations, mentorship program, multiple timed test runs, and three months of potential training candidates can now undertake before the test, I'd bet AA expects not to lose many to the CPAT.

Those are just my insights. Looking forward to meeting those of you who are there on the 16th of March.

Forum Member

Called and figured it out.
    Last edited by proofyeq; 03-18-2013 at 10:21 AM.

Forum Member

What day is the first all cpat testing? I already had a coat certificate and was just curious when they're finished with testing.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by proofyeq View Post
    What day is the first all cpat testing? I already had a coat certificate and was just curious when they're finished with testing.
    I believe it was 6/1

Forum Member

Does anyone know when they will be sending out conditionals?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rsimmons36 View Post
    Does anyone know when they will be sending out conditionals?
    Hopefully soon. I'm dying to know

Forum Member

They won arbitration so their going to stay with the 24-72 schedule. This is awesome for us because they are going to have to hire at least 75.

Forum Member

Forum Member

That is good news, makes it sound like the estimated academy date will get pushed back though.

Forum Member

Question: You guys think the fact that they lost the arbitration and means they're going to hire 100 firefighters is in addition to this current process and is another process overall? Or do they mean 100 firefighters with this cycle..?

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Forum Member

I imagine its the 100 for this cycle. When I went and met with the BI he told me they were doing backgrounds on 170 people, so they have more then enough but that's just a guess.

Forum Member

Has anyone heard anything yet?

Forum Member

I receieved a conditional offer today. Good luck to all awaiting word.

Forum Member

Congrats man. Good luck. Hopefully I'll be getting a phone call.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by proofyeq View Post
    I receieved a conditional offer today. Good luck to all awaiting word.
    Are they sending out letters, emails, or making phone calls??

Forum Member

I got a phone call.

Thread Information