Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By footrat

Thread: What Are We Going to Call This??

MembersZone Subscriber

Default What Are We Going to Call This??

I have a question. What are we going to call the part of a vehicle's roof structure when there is one A-pillar at the roofline but at the dashboard level, it splits into two A-pillars? You've seen this new design, haven't you? The A-pillar at dash level is actually two separate pillars. Many times there may even be a glass window in between the two pillars.

So, what do we call it? How do we train on this and how do we handle this at an incident scene?

We could just continue to call the entire structure the 'A-pillar' but it's different than a normal pillar. I think maybe we should call it a 'double A-pillar' or maybe a 'split A-pillar'; something that draws attention to the fact that at the base, you would have to cut two separate pillars if you were taking the roof off at dash level. What do you suggest?

Here is this new A-pillar design as seen on a Toyota Prius.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Ron Moore, Forum Moderator
    www.universityofextrication.com

Forum Member

Is there any structural strength to the 2nd A-Pillar? The one right where the mirror is attached?

If not, I'm going to ignore it and consider it part of the A-Pillar.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Yes. Both A-pillar pieces are part of spreading the load from the roof, especially in a rollover situation. Both are strong and considered load-bearing.
    Ron Moore, Forum Moderator
    www.universityofextrication.com

Forum Member

Keep it simple still the A post just cut both parts or one cut at the joint?

Forum Member

I don't see any need to come up with new terminology for it. The letter designation is more about its location to me than its structure and engineered function. And besides, anyone with enough extrication training to be operating tools on a scene ought to realize that if you're going to flap the roof front to back or remove it, you'll need to cut everything that attaches it to the body of the vehicle.

You COULD cut it at the joint, or at the top of the pillar, if that's how you want to do it. At the top of the pillar gives you more of a post sticking up to A) remind people that there is still a hazard there, and B) give you something over which to slide sections of cut hose or whatever you use to protect people from such hazards. Cutting at the joint gets more of the post out of the way, but you can't cover it with commonly used items, except blankets or tape. That's slow and in the way. And the pillar itself is still in the way. Cutting at the bottom is probably the best approach, and gets the most material out of the way. It's really not hard to figure out you need to cut both spots.
    EastKyFF and Miller337 like this.

Forum Member

I think double A or split A is good terminology to use, it gives a mental picture of what you're talking about even though you'd still have to cut through both.

MembersZone Subscriber

Looks like an extra large sail panel. You'd have to cut both anyway so why not just call it the "A" post.

EJR
    Forum Member

Just call it an A-post. This is nothing new anyway - the Prius has had this sort of design for years.

As far as dealing with it, just cut above the split after visualizing the areas to be cut and then protecting the exposed metal - as should be done at all times today.

Vehicle anatomy/nomenclature can be confusing enough today, especially for the newbie... Let's not make it more complicated.
    Last edited by EJR; 11-22-2012 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Eric J. Rickenbach ("EJR")
    FF/EMT/Instructor
    Rehrersburg (Berks County), PA
    www.rescuetechs.com
    ejr@rescuetechs.com

If there is no patient, it isn't a rescue. If you can't do patient care, you can't be a rescue. You are just a bunch of people with a tool.

Forum Member

I'm not sure if you'd have to cut both or not. This particular model has the A post so far forward that I wouldn't think its little double stump would be in the way.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    --General James Mattis, USMC

Thread Information