MembersZone Subscriber

Default Conspiracy among America's heroes

I got spammed by this guy this morning, all three of my e-mail addresses. He sounds like a real piece of work. Not saying that there's not a lot of house cleaning we need to do in our business, but this tabloid style advertisement is offensive. No wonder it was self published:

Today’s Fire Service is more complex than what we had really first thought!

Read what everyone is talking about…

PACKER TOWNSHIP, Penn. – With the publication of his new book “Conspiracy among America’s Heroes” (published by AuthorHouse), Chief Kelly Daugherty presents a career’s worth of experience into both the good and the bad sides of public service.

“This book will take you through the trials and tribulations a fire chief is faced with on a daily basis,” says Daugherty. “Anyone who is a manager, supervisor, leader, or involved in human-relation issues, needs to read this book, learn from these truculent life lessons, and use them for future reference. Are you willing to take the ethical challenge?”

Daugherty exposes many of the injustices common in emergency services. Through his detailed examples, he presents poor work ethics, illegal activity and a basic failure to provide the services for which personnel are sworn to perform. He explores “… ethics or the lack thereof, being honest to yourself and others, being accountable to your constituents and the people which you work with, and more important – learning to do the right thing, even if it means leaving your chosen profession.”

“Conspiracy among America’s Heroes”

By Chief Kelly Daugherty

Available at Amazon and Barnes & Noble

About the Author

Chief Kelly Daugherty began his fire service career in 1975 as a part-time/volunteer firefighter/EMT with the Shelby Township Fire Department. He was promoted to a career position in 1978. He worked through the ranks, obtaining positions as a fire apparatus operator, aerial tower operator, advanced EMT, shift lieutenant and fire captain. In 1996, Daugherty accepted the position of assistant chief with the Williamson Fire Department, and in 1999, accepted the position of fire chief for the Packer Township Fire Protection District.

AuthorHouse, an Author Solutions, Inc. self-publishing imprint, is a leading provider of book publishing, marketing, and bookselling services for authors around the globe and offers the industry’s only suite of Hollywood book-to-film services. Committed to providing the highest level of customer service, AuthorHouse assigns each author personal publishing and marketing consultants who provide guidance throughout the process. Headquartered in Bloomington, Indiana, AuthorHouse celebrated 15 years of service to authors in Sept. 2011.For more information or to publish a book visit authorhouse.com or call 1-888-519-5121. For the latest, follow @authorhouse on Twitter.

Thank you for helping out America's Fallen Firefighters with the purchase of this book.

Chief Kelly Daugherty

Forum Member

What a mutt. Wonder who pooped on him that he has turned on all of us.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    --General James Mattis, USMC

Forum Member

You can read many pages on Google Books preview. Whole thing sounds like a sham. The names of the towns and counties that are all supposed to be neighbors don't even correlate. Another whackjob associating himself with the fire service.... great.

Packer Twp, PA - less than 1000 population, covered by volunteer FDs in the Weatherly/Nesquehoning area.
    Throop City (said to be next door to Packer Twp) - doesn't exist, and Throop Borough is probably 50 miles away.
    Richmond County - none in PA, a few in other states, but none correlate to a Packer Twp or Throop.
    Last edited by 53fireman; 11-12-2012 at 01:18 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

I can't even find any evidence of a "Packer Township Fire Protection District" when I do a Google search. Very strange. Does it even exist? I figured somebody here might know this guy or the department if he was indeed real.

If he's indeed a real person, he's probably somebody who got caught with his hand in the cookie jar, or otherwise sent packing, and now he's going to try to take it out on everyone he blames for his career and life falling apart.
    Last edited by Chief_Roy; 11-12-2012 at 12:44 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chief_Roy View Post
    If he's indeed a real person, he's probably somebody who got caught with his hand in the cookie jar, or otherwise sent packing, and now he's going to try to take it out on everyone he blames for his career and life falling apart.
    Yes, the whole thing reeks of sour grapes, if he's even real. If not, it's a hatchet job by somebody else with an ax to grind.

Troll Squad, mobilize!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF View Post
    Yes, the whole thing reeks of sour grapes, if he's even real. If not, it's a hatchet job by somebody else with an ax to grind.

Troll Squad, mobilize!
    Google "Fire Chief Kelly Daugherty" and all you get are links to his "book." Google "Packer Township Fire Protection District" and all you get are links to his book as well. Highly suspicious. Surely somebody here from PA can shed some light on this. If he's a phony, I'll personally leave a comment on Amazon to start taking him down (perhaps even if he's not).

Forum Member

There is a Packer Township, but its population as of the 2000 census was under 1,000. Hardly a position of national relevance to be chief of a department that small. The whole county's population was 65,000.

As for Shelby Township, I found 7. Four are in Indiana with populations of 1,000, 867, 1,930, and 2,078. One is in Iowa, popn. 12,167; one in Michigan, popn. 65,000; and one in Minnesota, popn 295. There are none in Pennsylvania.

Williamson WV: Population 3,414; Williamson IA: Population 152. That's all the Williamson city names I found.

Forum Member

One Kelly Daugherty on Facebook in Pennsylvania, and it's apparently a female. She was born in 1966, making her entirely too young to have been a paid firefighter in 1978.

Forum Member

There are several Richmond County listings, but none in PA. The only Richmond County Fire Chiefs Association I could find was in North Carolina.

Any of you Tar Heels (or Blue Devils, or Wolf Pack, or Demon Deacons...) heard of this guy?

MembersZone Subscriber

I wish I had my EFO directory, but I can't find it. It lists the names of everyone ever certified as EFO through 2010, if I remember correctly. Maybe somebody around here has one.

Forum Member

I looked up Authorhouse Publishing. It appears they are not even the traditional publishers as we know them. It appears they do not publish anything. It is a self publishing company that gives you the tools to publish. I was wondering why I couldn't find whether this book is listed as fiction or nonfiction. If it is self published I do not think they need to follow the standards as real publishing companies have to. (I am not a publishing expert or even novice so if someone knows more please jump in).

And as others, I could not find anything about this person. I even looked up Pen names and couldn't find anything.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF View Post
    One Kelly Daugherty on Facebook in Pennsylvania, and it's apparently a female. She was born in 1966, making her entirely too young to have been a paid firefighter in 1978.
    Child prodigy?

Digging in a bit, it appears that Packer Township, PA may not even have a fire department of its own, relying instead on surrounding departments. Accounts of several fires don't list any departments that appear to be physically located (or at least headquartered) in Packer Township.

Throop is located in Lackawanna County (think Scranton), and a listing of municipalities in the county doesn't include a "Packer Township."

An actual story about a local business (a farm) helping provide a water supply for firefighting in Packer Township mentions Weatherly and Beaver Meadows, but not any "Packer Township Fire District."

While we can't deny that the "good old boy" network is alive and well in some pockets of the fire service, this book can definitely be filed under "Fiction."
    Last edited by tree68; 11-12-2012 at 06:06 PM. Reason: Additional information
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

MembersZone Subscriber

I browsed through the book on Amazon and it's almost unreadable. Check out the attachment, which is a capture I did of the back cover of the book. I've Googled some of these supposed quotes, and none of these people seem to exist either, including the city administrator and the police chief.

I'll be leaving an Amazon comment before the end of the night. If you can't read the attachments, try this: http://imageshack.us/f/163/25381370.jpg/
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Chief_Roy; 11-12-2012 at 07:04 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Note, too, that while "Richmond County" is cited in the text, "Richman County" is cited on the back cover.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Thread Information