Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By snowball

Thread: What boots to get?

Forum Member

Default What boots to get?

Hi i am thinking about getting a pair of duty boots but i dont know which ones to get. I want ones with a zipper. I was thinking about getting these. Does anyone know if they are a good pair to get? http://militarygear.com/mens-convers...2037/0,0,653/1

Make sure to get a left and a right.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Get whatever the department issues to you. If it isn't issued, you don't need it.
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Forum Member

I like 511 brand shoes

http://www.511tactical.com/

My department approved Red Back slip on boots. They are super fast to take off and put on. You can have my zippers, I'm through with them.
    IAFF

Back when i was new to the fire service my favorite pair of boots came from walmart....$35.00 black steal toe, went through all my training with em and lasted me longer then I thought they would...so my advice is get something cheap yet comfortable until you are outta fire school that way if they do get messed up, it was only a "throw away pair" anyway. I do love my new station issued boots, they have the side zipper...I'll post the brand and stuff later.

Forum Member

i think the most important questions are

futurefirefighter44, how old are you? why do you need duty boots (ie academy, career/volly/reserve, junior/explorer)?

ask those two and youll get the correct answer.

Quote Originally Posted by FireInTheShire View Post
    Back when i was new to the fire service my favorite pair of boots came from walmart....$35.00 black steal toe, went through all my training with em and lasted me longer then I thought they would...so my advice is get something cheap yet comfortable until you are outta fire school that way if they do get messed up, it was only a "throw away pair" anyway.
    You can get a inexpensive, yet comfortable uniform shoe or boot at Wally World. The nice thing about that is that if they are defective, almost every town has a Wal-Mart so you can get them replaced easily. Also, the first time you get a bloodborne pathogen soaked into your "high-dollar" expensive footwear, you'll wish you could throw them in the trash can and go back to Wal-Mart and buy a new $30 pair of whatever tickles your fancy.

Having spent many years in a busy, urban fire & EMS system, I'm all about comfort, saving a few $, and NOT wearing someone else's blood, germs, and Hepatitis all over my feet every day I am at work.
    DFW

"There's no such thing as a free lunch."

Forum Member

I am a junior firefighter. I want boots because most of my training and what not is hands on. So i dont want to ruin a pair of good school shoes. I want a pair of boots that are comfortable and with a zipper.

Forum Member

so im guessing 14-17, maybe.

i would say dont get a boot with a zipper just yet, wait until you're actually on running calls (not a junior). its just not practical at this stage. yes its nice to have, but it has really no advantage. i have both a zipper and a speed lace and i wear my laces more.

im not saying buy the walmart/cheap brand (if thats your choice, thats cool), but dont drop +$100 for some boots that "look cool". go find something thats comfortable and has a steel/composite toe, dont worry about the zipper. then in a few years, get some cool looking zipper boots. you can easily find something b/t $50-75 that'll last you a while.

Quote Originally Posted by dfwfirefighter View Post
    You can get a inexpensive, yet comfortable uniform shoe or boot at Wally World. The nice thing about that is that if they are defective, almost every town has a Wal-Mart so you can get them replaced easily. Also, the first time you get a bloodborne pathogen soaked into your "high-dollar" expensive footwear, you'll wish you could throw them in the trash can and go back to Wal-Mart and buy a new $30 pair of whatever tickles your fancy.

Having spent many years in a busy, urban fire & EMS system, I'm all about comfort, saving a few $, and NOT wearing someone else's blood, germs, and Hepatitis all over my feet every day I am at work.
    Food for thought.
    Do you wash your hands after reading the menu at any restaurant? Because I'm pretty sure I've never seen anybody cleaning those nasty menus before.

I keep my class b shoes clean and decon them after any shooting, code, stabbing, or any place I may come in contact with bodily fluids. Do you toss your bunker boots after a particularly gnarly grinder? After working a fire in a roach infested crack house?
    I'll pay over $150 for a pair that I can get three or four years out of, rather than $30 to $40 for a pair that might make two months. Just my opinion.
    IronsMan53 and DeputyMarshal like this.
    IAFF

I wear Haix duty boots. They are made two places, Germany and Lexington Kentucky and I am all about supporting Local jobs. They are pricey but when it comes to boots you really do get what you pay for. I have had mine for 2 years now and they have endured heavy use both on the buggy and elsewhere. They are just as comfortable now as they were when I first zipped em up.

Food for thought though kid... If you are a junior and not responding to calls but want to maintain a professional image simply get a pair of black wolverines that you can polish, learn to spitshine and be the envy of all
    Do not let the ghosts of our fallen brothers gaze upon you and ask " What have you done to my profession?" FTB DTRT EGH

http://www.haix-bootstore.com/rescue...ts/airpower-r1
    These are the ones I wear. They do have factory seconds at the store and that is probably what I am going to get next time around.
    Do not let the ghosts of our fallen brothers gaze upon you and ask " What have you done to my profession?" FTB DTRT EGH

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by IronValor View Post
    http://www.haix-bootstore.com/rescue...ts/airpower-r1
    These are the ones I wear. They do have factory seconds at the store and that is probably what I am going to get next time around.
    I just tried on my first pair of Haix & they are wonderful. A bit heavy versus the 511 brand but comfy, sturdy and I know my feet are protected. Love the lace/zip fronts.

Has anyone had a pair of the pro warrington 6006's?

I understand where you are coming from, I just joined up with explorers and happen to be a bit of a gear snob about certain things. My reasoning was that when I have to change into bunkers I need to be as fast as anybody else on a rig I will eventually ride out on. I split the difference between stlye and price and grabbed some cheaper Bates Brand at a local surplus store, thick anti-puncture sole, toe cap, and you still get your zipper. ran me about $70.
    OPINIONS ARE MINE ALONE AND NOT ASSOCIATED WITH ANY ORGANIZATION I HAVE TIES TO.

Follow me for fire news all the time from the DFW Area @FireFocused on Twitter and Facebook as well as: TSM Fire Photography

Default Boot

The best there is in my opinion...is the Thorogood boot...8" Thorogood Power EMS/Wildland.
    Last edited by JayDudley; 01-18-2013 at 01:09 PM.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Thread Information