Forum Member

Default Anyone else on a department similar to mine in the US?

I am 1 of 4 paid members of a 33 member department in Northeastern Oklahoma. The Chiefs office is comprised of all volunteers including the Chief, Deputy Chief, and Assistant Chief. The deputy and assistant Chiefs are paid members of other fire departments in the area. The deputy Chief is the Chiefs son in law, my Captain is the deputy Chiefs wife, and their son is a driver at my station. The president of the board of directors is a captain, the clerk of the board is a driver, and the secretary is the chiefs wife. Another board members son is a firefighter. The 4 paid staff work M-F 8-5, we're non union and not in the state pension system. The department has a million dollar a year budget and makes 4-500 calls a year. Just curious if anyone out there has a department that operates in such a bizarre fashion.

MembersZone Subscriber

While I do not work in a system like yours I do know of a similar department. The department next to my home town has about 40 member with 4 people working full time. They work two people per shift 6am to 6pm with four days on and four days off. The top officers are volunteer and there are varying family affiliations. When they first put full time staff on they were running about 500 calls a year they are now up to about 1000 calls a year. Not an exact match for your situation but close and I am sure there are others.
    FF II, EMT-P, Hazmat Tech

Forum Member

I work full-time for department with 8 career members and 100 volunteers running in excess of 1600 calls per year from 6 stations. the career members are the Deputy Chief, myself (Public Education and Training Coordinator) and a Captain and Driver/Operator per shift.

Chief is a volunteer who works full-time at the refinery in the district, where he serves as a the Fire Chief. Deputy Chief is one of the career staff. Assistant Chief is a volunteer and works full-time for a neighboring career department at the rank of Captain.

Three of the 8 Captains are full-time. The remaining 5 are volunteers.

We are non-union and quite happy about it, but we are in the pension system.

We have a total revenues through a dedicated fire tax of $1.3 million per year.

Our board though is composed of non-firefighters, though 1 is a retired District chief from a neighboring career department.

Other than the board, we sound alike.
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 11-19-2012 at 06:05 PM.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by love2fish View Post
    I am 1 of 4 paid members of a 33 member department in Northeastern Oklahoma. The Chiefs office is comprised of all volunteers including the Chief, Deputy Chief, and Assistant Chief. The deputy and assistant Chiefs are paid members of other fire departments in the area. The deputy Chief is the Chiefs son in law, my Captain is the deputy Chiefs wife, and their son is a driver at my station. The president of the board of directors is a captain, the clerk of the board is a driver, and the secretary is the chiefs wife. Another board members son is a firefighter. The 4 paid staff work M-F 8-5, we're non union and not in the state pension system. The department has a million dollar a year budget and makes 4-500 calls a year. Just curious if anyone out there has a department that operates in such a bizarre fashion.
    I know in some rural areas, there is a lack of population and everyone is related, which makes these "nepotism" situations common, but in your situtation I think nepotism has gone too far.

The only concern that I would have, with many officers being closely related, is that finances be audited by an independent accountant (preferably a paid CPA). This may "find" any irregularities.

Forum Member

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I don't have a problem working here as the department is top notch and I make a decent wage, but I had no idea if other states had similar departments as most work a modified kelly or their own variation of a "shift". Good to know there's some other out of the ordinary fire departments out there.

Forum Member

I've got one for you, we are a combination department. We have 6 full time employees working 4 - 12 hour rotating shifts providing 24/7 coverage and a full time Chief, they are non-civil service employees that pay into the state pension fund.

The parish (county) owns the buildings ,the trucks along with everything in them, and pays for all fuel and maintains the trucks, buildings, and equipment.

The city only pays for the full timer's salaries/benefits, the chief and his truck.

The volunteer fire department is officially responsible for providing fire protection. The VFD is a non profit organization that contracts with the fire district. The volunteer chief is elected by the volunteers.
    It just so happens that the volunteer chief has always been the paid chief. If the paid chief lost an election he would have no authority to use parish property to provide fire protection service.

The VFD raises money from yearly mail outs asking $30 a house hold and some businesses make generous donations. The money raised pays for food at meetings, satellite television, shirts and hats, along with other things like throws for parades.

There are some conflicts of interests as the man responsible for parish equipment is on the payroll of the City. We are working on clarifying this in the form of an intergovernmental agreement between the City, the Parish, and the VFD. I will let you know how that works out.

Thread Information