Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Manhattan Medic

Thread: FDNY EMS - FDNY FF age requirement question

Forum Member

Default FDNY EMS - FDNY FF age requirement question

I am 24 years old, looking into EMT-Basic classes for this January. IF I get a job with the FDNY as EMS, what are my chances of getting onto the FD if since I'm already 24? I know the cut off is 29.

I ask because I scored a 94 without extra points and got a list number of 14xxx on exam 2000, and it will be at least another 4 years until the next test comes out.

MembersZone Subscriber

Yes the next test will be in 4 years and no one knows how high the list numbers will go for Exam 2000. Highly recommend you check out the FDNY Exam 2000 forum pages.
    Exam 2000
    List # 7X
    Score 107

"But, the bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." - Thucydides

Forum Member

well your 24 now,the promo list is good for 2 years so that puts you at 26.then you have to have 2 years with ems to be eligible to be hired off the promo list so then your 28. but for somebody who has been on ems for the last 4years i wouldnt do it

Forum Member

Read the NOE again, the cutoff is the first day that you can file to take the exam. That means the goal would be to be younger than 29 in July 2015 (assuming the process starts over exactly 4 years after this one started. You still have more than enough time to get on EMS before then, but you also can't rely on knowing exactly when they will have the filing.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by letsgo1547 View Post
    well your 24 now,the promo list is good for 2 years so that puts you at 26.then you have to have 2 years with ems to be eligible to be hired off the promo list so then your 28. but for somebody who has been on ems for the last 4years i wouldnt do it
    You wouldn't do what? Go from EMS to the FD? Or get into EMS at all? And why?

Forum Member

get into ems,its not the job that everyone thinks it is

Forum Member

Can you specify? I'm currently working at an HR firm and I cant wait to get on.

Forum Member

It's the job everybody loves to hate on, but yet so many people stick around.
    ATFDFF likes this.

Forum Member

Well, the main reason I'd be doing it is that it is a means to get into the FD, preferably in the city. I can get on the EMS and join the FD here in Eastchester when they issue the test again in a couple of years, but ultimately the goal is to fight fires, not be called in for faulty CO2 alarms. That's why I have to get into FDNY-EMS.

Forum Member

Still waiting for the list number for exam 3024 to be made. Anyone know how long of a wait I have.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nyy615 View Post
    Well, the main reason I'd be doing it is that it is a means to get into the FD, preferably in the city. I can get on the EMS and join the FD here in Eastchester when they issue the test again in a couple of years, but ultimately the goal is to fight fires, not be called in for faulty CO2 alarms. That's why I have to get into FDNY-EMS.
    You are fooling yourself if you think FDNY will be lots of action and no CO alarms. It's also the long and difficult road. I'm going on 8 years since I decided I wanted try and get on FDNY. I think it'll be worth it, but it's not a short ride.

Thread Information