Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default I'm a vol FF considering pursuing career FF somewhere -- would getting EMT help?

I have the opportunity to go thru EMT class thru the fire dept I'm currently a firefighter with... But before I make the time commitment, wanted to ask if people think I should go for it -- in other words, will most fire dept's accept EMT cert or make you go through EMT cert again?

Might be a crazy question but my assumption is that most big city fire dept's want you to go thru their own fire academy even if you have FF1 already (is that right?), so same question for EMT...

Thanks all!

Forum Member

Suggest ask near by departments what their policy is

Some departments will accept it, but will train you own their protocols

Plus it looks good

Forum Member

Two words, "hell yes"

90% + of FFg is EMS. Plus about every dept requires EMT prior to final hire. Or if they don't, it'll look good on you having it over those who don't.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Get EMT

As a career firefighter for the past 10 years, having my EMT has been pretty much mandatory for me to even attempt to apply with many dept's. I live in California but work for a dept. in Nevada, and even there you have to have the willing to be put thru an EMT course. Most dept's today look to see that you have your paramedic. This is highly sought after. Also, don't just think that your EMT is the only cert you should get. As firefighters we need to stay abreast of the new techniques of our jobs and get certified in any and all possible avenues. Hope this helped and Good Luck!!

Forum Member

Simple answere, yes. If you and another are "tied" and you have your EMT and the other doesn't than you should be the better to hire. It shows a comitment to the dept. you're trying to get on. It also shows your trainable. The only thing I might do is make sure the class you take is up to the requirements by the state you are in.

Forum Member

Automatic yes, and consider paramedic school after that.

Forum Member

If the department you do apply for sees that, then they know that you already have the knowledge... even if they still want you to go through their training it will be that much easier... I guess i just don't see a reason why you wouldn't...

If you exceed the minimum requirements set by departments you will be a better applicant and have a greater chance of getting hired somewhere.

Luck is where opportunity meets preparation...

Forum Member

most every posting of jobs I have seen lately actually state something on this line....."EMT-I required, paramedic and FF preferred"........it's alot less expensive and faster to train a FF than to send through EMT class

Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar

Our department (metro-sized) doesn't require EMT or FF1 to get hired, nor do those certifications give you an advantage in the hiring process. However, it's something that a candidate might wish to mention during the interview process.

Members who do have FF1 and/or EMT do have to repeat the courses. The only exceptions granted may be for EMT-I or EMT-P rookies, who may actually ride with field units while the other students complete their EMT-B training.

Different areas of the US have different philosophies when it comes to have certain kinds of training prior to being hired.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

Some great points everyone -- thanks a million! Be safe out there.

Thread Information