Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By FWDbuff

Thread: 2012-2013 Ford Powerstroke Diesel 6.7L

Forum Member

Red face 2012-2013 Ford Powerstroke Diesel 6.7L

Looking for any fire departments or EMS squads that run the new 6.7L motors , how are they holding up and are you having any major problems with the Ford diesel. Also would you consider going with the V-10 gas motor on a F-550 chassis cab ?

Forum Member

Not my personal experience, but an EMS squad near us got a 2011 Ford with the V-10 and they absolutely love it. They said its very quiet and has tons of power. They've run it for right at a year with no problems, just routine maintenance.

As far as the 6.7L diesel, I know several guys around me that have them in their pickups and have nothing but good things to say about them. I don't know of any Ambulances of Fire rigs around here that have them though. I'm sure someone here has some first hand experience with them though.

Forum Member

All I can contribute is that I drove a demo mini pumper equipped with the 6.7 in from Kansas City to the New Jersey Pinelands earlier in the year. I was thoroughly impressed with its power and quietness. It's quieter than my Jeep Liberty CRD. If the 6.7 holds anything like the 7.3, I'd say Ford has a winner.

I didnt think anything was quieter than a broken Liberty CRD......
    npfd801 likes this.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Anyone out there know what the " real" city & highway fuel mileage is between both motors, with the cost of the optional diesel 6.7L almost $ 8,000 !

I talked with the Division Chief over Apparatus Maintenance with the LAFD. There are few departments that run as many small chassis apparatus as them and they have been doing it a long time and are very busy.

Having said that, they stopped buying Fords and went with Dodge chassis due to the significant savings in maintenance costs.

Nice guy, call and talk to him. The LAFD PIO can get you the number.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Forum Member

I hate to give bad news, but here it is. We have a 2012 Ford F-450 with the 6.7. It has 12K on it. We have had to replace the turbo once. Mileage is about 10-11 mpg and we fill the DEF about once a month. Plenty of power when it's running, no issues with starting. The front hubs (2WD) leaked grease and had to have the seals replaced at about 4K.
    Two nights ago when it was returning from a vehicle fire, it made the turn into the station and would only not accelerate up the slight incline to the station. Boost gauge read zero and would not go over 20 mph. We suspect the turbo is going out again.

Forum Member

We got a V-10 in a 550 4 door with a 10 foot rescue box with no water. Our fire board choose the motor for initial price and what they saw as cheaper maintenance (cheaper oil changes). It seems to have plenty of power but doesn't due well on fuel mileage (less than 8 on the highway bringing it home). We have had it for a year, made around 150 calls and have had no issues with the motor.

One of the worst things Ford ever did was make such an awesome engine with the 7.3L. Everyone who ever had any dealings with them now measure everything that rolls off of the lot to be as good or better than the first Powerstrokes, and it will never be that way again.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DeathValleyCap View Post
    I hate to give bad news, but here it is. We have a 2012 Ford F-450 with the 6.7. It has 12K on it. We have had to replace the turbo once. Mileage is about 10-11 mpg and we fill the DEF about once a month. Plenty of power when it's running, no issues with starting. The front hubs (2WD) leaked grease and had to have the seals replaced at about 4K.
    Two nights ago when it was returning from a vehicle fire, it made the turn into the station and would only not accelerate up the slight incline to the station. Boost gauge read zero and would not go over 20 mph. We suspect the turbo is going out again.
    After reading your post, I my start looking into a F-350 with dual wheels 6.2 gas motor or a Ram with a cummins motor !

I'll also add that we have a new F350 SRW at my station. The engine has done okay so far, but the transmission went out at 226 miles. Stayed at Ford for about 4 or 5 months getting "fixed".
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MemphisE34a View Post
    I'll also add that we have a new F350 SRW at my station. The engine has done okay so far, but the transmission went out at 226 miles. Stayed at Ford for about 4 or 5 months getting "fixed".
    What the heck is going on with these new Ford trucks ?

Quote Originally Posted by Woodbridge View Post
    What the heck is going on with these new Ford trucks ?
    Good question. In fairness, there were 8 purchased at the same time. As far as I know, the other 7 have had no issues.

Personally, I would go the Dodge/Cummins/Allison route.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Quote Originally Posted by MemphisE34a View Post
    Good question. In fairness, there were 8 purchased at the same time. As far as I know, the other 7 have had no issues.

Personally, I would go the Dodge/Cummins/Allison route.
    Not starting anything, this is more to set me straight, but I thought the Allison was only available with the Duramax/GM line. Cummins/Dodge gets an Aisin 6-speed auto, and read something about a new ZF tranny coming?
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Quote Originally Posted by npfd801 View Post
    Not starting anything, this is more to set me straight, but I thought the Allison was only available with the Duramax/GM line. Cummins/Dodge gets an Aisin 6-speed auto, and read something about a new ZF tranny coming?
    You may be right. I think at one time you could get an Allison in a Dodge, but now that you bring it up, they are currently in the GM line.

I would still currently take my chances with Dodge or GM over Ford.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Thread Information