Thread: Minneapolis

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Minneapolis

Nothing official on the city HR website yet, but it sounds like they are in the early stages of starting a recruitment process. This brochure was on the MPFF website.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1843
Size:  64.3 KB

Forum Member

It's posted on the government website. In early 2013, they are excepting applications. But, you can apply only in person: Jan.31, Feb.1 & 2.

Forum Member

Yes, you can ONLY apply in person! Thanks JG87! Once on the job, do you have to become a city resident?

Forum Member

It is a disadvantage to the applicants who are not residents, kind of a bummer already starting 10 points below most applicants... especially after driving several hours to get there

That might keep me from making the trip to apply in person, just to start off in the hole compared to residents...

"Applicants for the position of Firefighter Cadet are not required to be residents of the city of Minneapolis. However applicants who are city of Minneapolis residents until they complete the testing process will be awarded ten (10) additional exam points. All documents presented must be dated to indicate residency at the time of application. Proof of residency must also be presented at the time of the structured interview."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by aturcotte0310 View Post
    It is a disadvantage to the applicants who are not residents, kind of a bummer already starting 10 points below most applicants... especially after driving several hours to get there

That might keep me from making the trip to apply in person, just to start off in the hole compared to residents...

"Applicants for the position of Firefighter Cadet are not required to be residents of the city of Minneapolis. However applicants who are city of Minneapolis residents until they complete the testing process will be awarded ten (10) additional exam points. All documents presented must be dated to indicate residency at the time of application. Proof of residency must also be presented at the time of the structured interview."
    Is their a reason for this? I ask because it seems that this only occurs in the fire service, and no where else. I mean it just is mind boggling that PDs don't care where you're from as long as you show up and want to work there and yet FDs now seem to be punishing you if you are from out of area.

Forum Member

I agree, i think it is discouraging people from applying from out of town. I understand they want some sort of knowledge of the city, but i don't think that should be something that should be effecting applicants test scores before even testing.

Forum Member

I can totaly understand why they give residency. They want to take care of their own. If the county I lived in gave residency, I would gladly accept it. Not saying it's completely fair. It would be nice if they included the metropolitan area surrounding the city aswell. But, what can you do. Good luck to all who apply.

MembersZone Subscriber

Does the city create their own written test or do they use a generic test from a vendor?

MembersZone Subscriber

It's going to be interesting, most big city processes are. Good luck to those who apply and get through the process. Sounds like it will be a good list for your name to be on in the up coming years.
    Last edited by JCCFD41; 12-26-2012 at 05:17 PM.

Forum Member

Default quick question

I noticed in the flyer that it mentions a drug and alcohol screening. What is an

alcohol screening? To catch people showing up for the physical hung over??

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by edwefwef View Post
    I noticed in the flyer that it mentions a drug and alcohol screening. What is an

alcohol screening? To catch people showing up for the physical hung over??
    I believe that would be a set of questions concerning your past, present, or future drinking habbits if I would have to guess. I doubt they would want to hire someone with a drinking problem, might be a little risky... Like I said, just a guess, I could be way out in left field with this one.

MembersZone Subscriber

Any word on a final count of number of applicants? When I was there (Friday morning), the line went quick. Seemed like a lot more non residents / non veterans than residents / veterans. Everyone in line for residents/veterans seemed to only have one or the other.

Good luck to everyone that applied, it's definitely a dream job!

Forum Member

I don't know how many. But I talked to some guys at one of the stations and they said they had a lot of people not following application instructions. Lot of people were sending them, trying to drop them off at stations, etc. The directions clearly said to apply in person at the specific dates. I was fortunate enough to receive 20 points towards the exam. If they are gonna offer, I am gonna take them! But apparently nobody knows how many they will hire and when. Good luck!

Forum Member

I saw a news story on Kare11, saying they were expecting 3000 or so apps. Also said the dept plans on hiring 15.

MembersZone Subscriber

2,805 was posted on the city web site for the final count of applicants. 1 in 187 odds of getting a job if the plan is to hire 15. I'm feeling lucky, I'll take those odds.

Forum Member

Anyone hear when we will be getting test results back?

Also, I overhead someone at my exam location saying that not everyone that applied got to take the test, and also that a lot of resumés were turned in incorrectly and disqualified.

Just wondered if anyone had any info on this.

Thanks!

Forum Member

interviews are the first week of may so, they should be sending out scores soon.
    Last edited by dromm007; 04-05-2013 at 12:47 AM.

Forum Member

Anyone get letters yet?

Forum Member

Nothing yet.

Forum Member

I just got a letter...made it!!
    Last edited by mead; 04-07-2013 at 08:03 AM.

Forum Member

I got my letter too and also made it. Does anyone know how many people they are interviewing? Also it says if you have done a CPAT in the last year you should bring the documentation. Does this mean if you have completed a CPAT in the last year you don't have to do it?

Forum Member

The original packet said they would take 300 to interview...whether they stuck to that or not is anyone's guess. The way I read the letter is that having documentation from a CPAT taken in the last 12 months means you don't have to attend the orientation, but still have to take the test.

Congratulations!

MembersZone Subscriber

Good for you two, what were your scores?

Forum Member

Got mine too. I scored in the 90's on both tests. I am fortunate to have 10 points resident/veteran. Congrats to all making it to next step in the process.
    Last edited by sb2203; 04-09-2013 at 01:39 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

My buddy got a 95% and a 92%, no veterans or residency points, he didn't move on. That is some tough competition.

Thread Information