Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By DeputyChiefGonzo

Thread: I guess 80 years is a good start

Default I guess 80 years is a good start

I know all of us remember this case. She's the jewel who fled to Africa after the fire.

Houston day care fire sentencing

The good news is this is just ONE count. She'll get more.

There's no reversing the tragedy that happened, but at least this will cause some people to realize the gravity of what they are doing.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    --General James Mattis, USMC

A shame we have to support that air-thief for a majority of those 80 years while the families live forever with the agony. Jail house justice would be in order....

And where did they find this quack:

Defense attorneys presented expert testimony to argue that faulty kitchen equipment may have sparked the fire.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

It's called "Public defender grasping at straws".

I hate to play Devil's Advocate but I think the punishment is a little harsh. From what I read, she left the kids unattended to shop at Target around the corner while some stuff was cooking on the stove. To me, this sounds more like neglect instead of murder. Not excusing what she did, but still.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfn View Post
    I hate to play Devil's Advocate but I think the punishment is a little harsh. From what I read, she left the kids unattended to shop at Target around the corner while some stuff was cooking on the stove. To me, this sounds more like neglect instead of murder. Not excusing what she did, but still.
    Its neglect and just plain stupidity if you kill your own kids.
    It's murder when you put yourself out there as a professional, and take on the responsibilities for other kids.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfn View Post
    You do not leave cooking unattended.. period. The fact that she fled to Nigeria proves that she knew what she did was wrong.

The punishment isn't harsh at all.. as a matter of fact, it's not harsh enough.
    SPFDRum, ffbam24 and Miller337 like this.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

I still wonder if there was any reason for her to have that burner turned on, or if it was deliberately left unattended.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF View Post
    I still wonder if there was any reason for her to have that burner turned on, or if it was deliberately left unattended.
    The part of me that says nobody could be that cruel says it was a mistake on her part - I think most of us have done it at one time or another (left something on the stove unattended, even if it was to step into the next room to grab something), but not with the same horrific consequences. On the other hand, she may have left it intentionally - so the item cooking would be ready when she got back - not realizing the potential consequences.

That said, at the very least she was guilty of criminally negligent homicide. Stove or no, you don't leave a bunch of kids alone. Once again, we've all had times when junior got into some potentially serious trouble while we were right there.

Eighty years is a good start.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF View Post
    Good point. And the fact that she fled to Nigeria as DCG said makes it more apparent she did it on purpose.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.

Forum Member

Don't forget this little tidbit.
    During Tata's trial, which began Oct. 24, surveillance video was presented that showed her shopping at Target just before the fire occurred. A former Target manager told jurors that Tata did not seem to be in a hurry after realizing she had left the stove top burner on while the kids were at the day care.

We recently responded to a single MVA which two grown women had loaded six children into all under the age of five or less. Not one of these children had any type of child seat or seat belt, the scene was horrible.
    There is a distinction between neglect or negligence and criminal behavior. All of us deep down know that line,I think it is often hard for many to accept that someone could intentionally behave so badly with a child who naturally expects the adult to keep them safe. People who betray that trust of a child do not deserve our charity or tolerance.

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Default Well......

We see stuff like that here too. Thankfully not often, but still..... There's a story making the rounds about a guy who went to a big Sale at Best Buys or some similar store, and when he got there, he left his small child in his car. He bought a huge TV, then realized that it wouldn't fit in the car, so he called a friend who came, picked up the TV, AND THE GUY, at took the TV to the guys house. Someone found the Child in the car AT 1 AM!!...... Idiots.... I hope that wherever he ends up has no TV.......

Something we have also noticed is an increase in younger kids who come home from school and basically take care of themselves until a parent gets home. Maryland Law is that any child under 14 must have supervision, but a lot of parents are ignoring it......
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Thread Information