Forum Member

Default Emergency Shutoff

Our 1990 Pierce has an issue with the Emergency shutoff (ESO). Our engine keeps going into shutoff. What is happening is that the ESO lever in the cab is connected to a cable that links to a lever near the intake. The lever is connected to a shaft which is supposed to be linked to a flapper valve to open and close the valve. Well, the linkage seems to be missing.

I looked in our Detroit Diesel 6V92 manual and the ESO is not even shown. We ended up using a tie wrap to hold the valve open, but I rather get the right fix, but not sure what we are missing. Attached is a photo. Any suggestions?

Name:  emershutoff1.jpg
Views: 906
Size:  26.4 KB

Thanks

Forum Member

Michael, have you looked at either of the other two engines to see what's on them? I'm guessing now, but this may be something Pierce rigged up in order to comply with the original purchaser's spec. The reason I say that is that while our '78 Hahn (6-71T) had an emergency shutoff in one of DD's castings, our '89 Duplex/Quality (6V92TA) does not. So my guess is that DD discontinued putting them on later engines. How about a call to a DD shop, see what they have to say? Make sure that when you call, you speak to someone old enough to have worked on those engines. There are more than a few technicians in DD shops who haven't.

If this is indeed something Pierce made, they may or may not be able to provide parts. Or you may have to fabricate the part yourself.

How did you come out on the air dryer issue?

Forum Member

The problem with looking at the other engines is that they are in a warehouse about 4 hours from my location. I never thought of calling DD, that's a good idea. Being custom might explain why it is not in my DD engine manual.

As for the air dryer, I gave the info to my cap, awaiting for him to give me the go ahead on taking corrective action.

Thanks

Forum Member

That looks like an after market shut off to me. The ones I have seen that were supplied by DD were a lever in the intake manifold casting. Regardless of who made it, DD has recommended they be disabled or removed.

If you have some old timers that still worry about being parked in a cloud of flammable gas and want to repair the unit try here:

http://www.amot.com/products/air-intake-shutoff-valves

They are the only aftermarket outfit I am aware of. I am sure there are others though.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firepundit View Post
    If you have some old timers that still worry about being parked in a cloud of flammable gas and want to repair the unit try here:
    I actually had that happen to me once, many years ago. I was dropping a tank trailer in a lot that was used by a gasoline supplier. One of their drivers was dumping residue from his trailer which was next to mine onto the ground (you could do stuff like that back then). My Mack started to pick up the fumes, so I quickly got in the cab and pulled the shutoff cable. Didn't work, so I had to put the trans in gear and let the clutch out to stop it.

Forum Member

That looks like an after market shut off to me. The ones I have seen that were supplied by DD were a lever in the intake manifold casting. Regardless of who made it, DD has recommended they be disabled or removed.

They are the only aftermarket outfit I am aware of. I am sure there are others though.
    Thanks for the link. Since some of our work sites are oil refineries, we may have a situation requiring the shutoff?

Forum Member

Us "Old timers"aren't as afraid of fume infusion as we are a stuck injector,which on a two stroke detroit can make for a very INTERESTING (and EXPENSIVE) day if you can't shut the AIR OFF. And that in itself won't shut the Engine off,but you can stall it out at that point IF it's a STANDARD. If not,GOOD LUCK! In over 30 years with these engines I've only seen two "run away",we saved one and the other Grenaded.

Thread Information