Thread: Akron Fire Test

Forum Member

Default Akron Fire Test

Anyone apply? I'm having trouble with the government jobs . com site I think. There is no button to submit or anything? Anyone got any ideas?

Forum Member

ffmedicCLE i applied on 11/11 i didnt have a problem? im trying to look to see when it closes
    To the men who were there that day, my utmost respect.
    To those that will be there the next time, Ill be there by your side

Forum Member

Never mind. I wasn't in the "right spot".

Heard rumor AFD is going to hire about 100 "quickly" after the test. Spring is what I heard. All of this is for DROP and other retirements

Forum Member

good deal do you have any other info on the dept cant find to much online
    To the men who were there that day, my utmost respect.
    To those that will be there the next time, Ill be there by your side

Forum Member

Yeah that got a pretty large grant.. and applied for another grant as well..The turn out for the test will be in the thousands I would imagine.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ffmedicintheCLE View Post
    Never mind. I wasn't in the "right spot".

Heard rumor AFD is going to hire about 100 "quickly" after the test. Spring is what I heard. All of this is for DROP and other retirements

Aren't you lovin life with your full time gig in the heights?

Forum Member

Applied. Wish you got more points for being a medic already or having a degree. 40% bonus is crazy! Never seen it that high.

Forum Member

I grew up near Akron and would love to take the test for a chance to move back up near family, the big question I have from googling the dept is they just laid off within the last couple years so how stable are they? I figured it out to I would get the full extra points with military, college, and ff certs and hate to pass on bonus points but doesn't seem wise to take a job that laid off 39 only 3 years ago. Anyone have any insight to the fiscal and city government stability now?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CFD11 View Post
    I grew up near Akron and would love to take the test for a chance to move back up near family, the big question I have from googling the dept is they just laid off within the last couple years so how stable are they? I figured it out to I would get the full extra points with military, college, and ff certs and hate to pass on bonus points but doesn't seem wise to take a job that laid off 39 only 3 years ago. Anyone have any insight to the fiscal and city government stability now?
    The City of Akron's fiscal situation isn't much (if at all) improved since the layoffs occurred. The current hiring is driven mostly by attrition from DROP retirees. Notwithstanding the openings created by retirements, the City has relied on two separate SAFER grants to maintain its staffing. While the grants are great and help prevent layoffs - they are a short term fix to a long term problem. The fact that a City has to rely on SAFER grant funding in the first place to maintain staffing is a strong indicator that fiscal problems are still an issue. For instance, if I'm not mistaken, the City recently lost in litigation over refusing to remit pay increases to its police and fire in accordance to their respective CBAs (please correct me if I'm wrong).

Nothing has changed in Akron to indicate that circumstances have improved. There are no new businesses to generate a fresh revenue stream. Property values are not increasing. Nothing has changed.

So, as the saying goes, one's past behaviour is the best predictor of their future behaviour. Based on that premise, it is likely that any new class of firefighters could be affected by a layoff within the first few years on the job. The City will try to threaten layoffs in order to force the Union to make concessions on pay and benefits. If the Union concedes, then the City might not layoff anyone. If the Union does not concede, then junior members will be laid off for a period of time - usually until there are openings created by retiring firefighters or until the City applies for and is approved for another FEMA grant (if it chooses to apply for one).

With that said, do what you feel is best for you personally and for your family. Not trying to be a negative Ned or anything. I'm just giving you the reality based on my close observation of how cities in northeast Ohio have been dealing with public safety as of the past 7 or 8 years.
    Last edited by maverick80; 11-26-2012 at 12:54 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by maverick80 View Post
    The City of Akron's fiscal situation isn't much (if at all) improved since the layoffs occurred. The current hiring is driven mostly by attrition from DROP retirees. Notwithstanding the openings created by retirements, the City has relied on two separate SAFER grants to maintain its staffing. While the grants are great and help prevent layoffs - they are a short term fix to a long term problem. The fact that a City has to rely on SAFER grant funding in the first place to maintain staffing is a strong indicator that fiscal problems are still an issue. For instance, if I'm not mistaken, the City recently lost in litigation over refusing to remit pay increases to its police and fire in accordance to their respective CBAs (please correct me if I'm wrong).

Nothing has changed in Akron to indicate that circumstances have improved. There are no new businesses to generate a fresh revenue stream. Property values are not increasing. Nothing has changed.

So, as the saying goes, one's past behaviour is the best predictor of their future behaviour. Based on that premise, it is likely that any new class of firefighters could be affected by a layoff within the first few years on the job. The City will try to threaten layoffs in order to force the Union to make concessions on pay and benefits. If the Union concedes, then the City might not layoff anyone. If the Union does not concede, then junior members will be laid off for a period of time - usually until there are openings created by retiring firefighters or until the City applies for and is approved for another FEMA grant (if it chooses to apply for one).

With that said, do what you feel is best for you personally and for your family. Not trying to be a negative Ned or anything. I'm just giving you the reality based on my close observation of how cities in northeast Ohio have been dealing with public safety as of the past 7 or 8 years.
    I hear you bro, No need to call your self negative Ned...... I was very much on the fences about driving up anyways. This was just the cherry on top to finalize my decision. It is a shame, to the guys on the line and to the guys that are going to give up solid careers that the city doesn't have the fiscal responsibility to hire the correct way. Sounds to me like they will take two years worth of grants then layoff. I hope not but definitely not interested in leaving my Dept to deal with that. Good luck to all

Thread Information