Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By firepundit

Thread: Fire Research InControl LEDs

Default Fire Research InControl LEDs

Anyone here ever repair one of these units? The "head" unit on our 2006 pumper has some LED "units" that have failed, especially on the tachometer portion of the display. Is it a huge deal? No, but upon asking an apparatus manufacturer about repairing said unit, they claim FRC's only answer is to replace the whole unit for $2300. Cute. I'll install a separate tach somehow before I pay that.

Curious if anyone else has dealt with this.
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Forum Member

Try your regional rep, Joel. I had occasion to contact ours and found him extremely knowledgeable and helpful.

Forum Member

I would contact FRC direct, 631-724-8888. They may have a exchange program or something. As always, have the part number, serial number, and software version handy when you make the call.

The LEDs are simply soldered to a board but must be matched exactly making field replacement not all that easy.
    SFD_E73_RET likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by firepundit View Post
    I would contact FRC direct, 631-724-8888. They may have a exchange program or something. As always, have the part number, serial number, and software version handy when you make the call.

The LEDs are simply soldered to a board but must be matched exactly making field replacement not all that easy.
    Thanks Sam and Firepundit. I was thinking more along the lines of a refurbed unit even and we would send a "core" back, but I will try FRC and see where I end up.
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Forum Member

I work at FRC. A brand new InControl pressure governor and engine control panel (with sensors and harness and all) is in the range you mentioned. But the problems with LEDs going dim (or out) might be as simple as a bad ground at the back of the unit - try tightening up the connections, could be stray voltage on the panel, or just bad ground to the unit - all things to check. If all the digits are going out at the same time it could well be a bad connection on the board or something that vibrated loose inside. If only one or two of the segments are out it could be the LED failed (but that seems unlikely). If the LEDs themselves have to be replaced we do that here for a nominal labor fee (one hour) plus parts (not that bad). Definitely call in and speak to someone in service. They've run through some things to check before spending any dough. We used to do a loaner program, but this unit is going on 7 years old, not sure what the current program is like.
    Last edited by FireG33k; 11-28-2012 at 05:22 PM. Reason: pricing, no heat sink on this unit
    Nate Berry, IS Mgr.
    Fire Research Corp.
    http://www.fireresearch.com
    Long Island Assn. of Emergency Vehicle Technicians
    http://www.lievt.org

I feel better hearing this as opposed to the answer we received from the builder that just did some minor modifications and paint repair on the unit mentioned. I'm a little miffed that they could have pulled the unit at worst case and shipped it out for repair while the engine was out of service for a couple of weeks for the other work being done. I'm also guessing they never called out to FRC for help either like they claimed, especially since my other dealings with the FRC folks have always been good.

The unit in question is an InControl TGA300 for a Cummins. I'll try to contact service to see what our options are. Maybe we'll do some checks on the wiring as well like you suggested. Thanks much for your help Nate.

Thread Information