Forum Member

Default looking for outside advice for firefighting career

Kind of long, which i apologize for but ill try to just get straight to it. I looked at a few different places but didn't see anything really related. Also, with the way the economy is i would bet i am not the only one in this situation....so anyways... I'm a college grad and have been now for 2 years and a few months and i don't have a career yet. I do have a job and im thankful for it. Its' with a water company and im currently being paid 12 an hour and i average 20-22 hours a week MAX.

I come from a line of firefighters in my family and i wanted to get my college degree before i became a firefighter. Little did i know that while i was in college the economy would take a huge dump and i wouldn't be able to even apply for a firefighting job until a year after i graduated. I do want to be a firefighter but i don't see myself relocating across the country or moving far away to do so. I live in the DC, Maryland and Virginia area. There are plenty of departments around me hiring now.

I currently have 2 departments that i am still in the process with or i should say in the final stages with. One in Maryland and one in Virginia. I just found out that i will not be offered for the Maryland dept. that starts January 2013 although, they are trying to get another class that starts in May/June 2013 and pull people from this same hiring list. I've been told i just missed the cut and that if there is a second class off this list I would receive an offer.

The Virginia dept. won't have a class until April or so and while i've done well on each step in the process i don't know if i will get an offer or not. They haven't even begun to hand them out yet.

My question to whoever is willing to answer is what would you do career wise? Obviously im looking for something more than 12 an hour and 22 hours a week. But if i were to start a "Career" somewhere else but then get an offer for Virginia for April i would leave that career obviously.

Would you just keep with the same job until you hear from the other Dept. or would you look for something else and just leave it if you had too. Now, the water company knows i want to be a firefighter and knows i could leave any moment i get an offer and they are ok with that. They also just guaranteed me pay of 30 hours a week even if i don't work 30 hours. Crazy i know but they really want me to stay because i am one of the best and most efficient workers they have ever had.

The numbers are obvious Water company would be about $20,000 over the course of the year after the guarantee kicks in or a "career" and get $40,000 a year roughly.

I would be really curious to hear from people who had a LONG wait before they got hired. What were you doing in the mean time for jobs/careers. My biggest thing is if i got a career outside of firefighting and left a few (2 or 3) months after i started i would feel like i screwed them over or something. Also, just to point out i currently don't have a career lined up but i am interviewing at a few different places. thanks in advanced.

Forum Member

Do you have any fire classes or emt???

Is it needed to apply to departments in your area??

Sounds like you need a full time job, would look for that first

And if you want to pursue fire, still keep on testing

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fire49 View Post
    Do you have any fire classes or emt???

Is it needed to apply to departments in your area??

Sounds like you need a full time job, would look for that first

And if you want to pursue fire, still keep on testing
    Yeah, basically during that entire year when departments were not hiring i became a volunteer firefighter. I have emt-b and fire II and haz-mat which is our departments requirements for minimal manning. I plan to keep testing in all areas possible in my region. I'm thinking a full-time job is the way to go and if i have to burn that bridge early on then ill have to do it, if it means i get an offer for a Department.

The Maryland department did hiring in the summer of 2011 but required emt which i didn't have yet. They basically hired all volunteers from my county during that time. It seems like im hitting a bad luck streak and over thinking things a bit. I've tried to remain positive through the entire process over these past few years but im running out of things to tell myself...

Forum Member

Just keep on testing and do not limit where/ how many places you test

If you reconsider Texas is always hiring

http://www.tcfp.texas.gov/job_postings/jobs.asp

http://www.tcfp.texas.gov/certificat...ansferring.asp

Paramedic improves your chances vastly

Thread Information