Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By EastKyFF
  • 3 Post By nr9306
  • 1 Post By caleb_berkebile

Thread: Does Your Department Issue Minitiors Out to Explorers???

Default Does Your Department Issue Minitiors Out to Explorers???

Just wonderin if any depts. issue or "Lease" minitior 4 or 5's to their explorers who have been there awhile orall in general. In my dept. our chief dosennt back our program, and if we wanted to present this to him he wouldnt even give me a chance to explain. Just wondering what you other stations do....:confused

" MY VIEWS DO NOT RELFELCT THOSE OF MY DEPARTMENT, OR EXPLORER POST 2107"

Forum Member

Most juniors in our department aren't even issued a pager. If they are, it's after a 1 year probation period and they are trusted enough to be given one. At that time they are given usually Minitor 2s or 3s. You should be happy with whatever you are given considering you're only juniors. If your department issues pagers to juniors...and it alerts for a call...be happy.
    "If it was easy, someone else would of done it already." - Lt. Ray McCormack FDNY

- Firefighter 1 / HAZMAT Ops / EMT-B

Forum Member

First reason there is no rush

Second reason

Third reason

You need to be a more experienced driver AND a legally recognized adult before you worry about a pager.
    RyanK63 and ElijahRobinson like this.
    I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

Forum Member

When I was a junior, I was issued a minitor IV the second day I joined. Juniors are expected to go to fire calls on my department when they can, as this is how they get experience. I credit a lot of my junior experience to the knowledge that I have today.

Forum Member

yup, I'm a Jr. Firefighter in a Suburban Pennsylvania town outside of Philadelphia and I got a MINITOR V two drill days (two weeks) after i was voted into the Company.

Forum Member

no we are not issued them but if we buy a new or used one they will program it for us

J22
    Forum Member

We get one when we join.

Forum Member

We have cell phone notifications. You dont get a pager until your 18. No need for a pager when you cant be on a call anyway.

Forum Member

In our Company, Juniors and Cadets get the same thing that senior members are issued which are Apollo Alphanumaric Pagers.

Forum Member

We are issued Minitors after a 6 month probationary period and pass an exam about firefighting at that point we are allowed to respond to calls.

Forum Member

On my Department we are issued gear and a pager on the first day or as soon as one is available, we go on calls so that is why. As for your Chief not backing the program, that is a problem. He doesn't see what the post can do for the department as a whole. For example on my department, during the day we might get 2 or 3 firefighters for a call but have 5 explorers show up. Those extra hands can make a huge difference on a scene. Explorers also gives him a chance to mold you in to the firefighters you should be and when you turn 18 and can be voted on, he doesn't have to retrain you.
    jake_ulman likes this.

Forum Member

Which County outside of Philadelphia?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ElijahRobinson View Post
    yup, I'm a Jr. Firefighter in a Suburban Pennsylvania town outside of Philadelphia and I got a MINITOR V two drill days (two weeks) after i was voted into the Company.
    Which County are you a junior in?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nr9306 View Post
    When I was a junior, I was issued a minitor IV the second day I joined. Juniors are expected to go to fire calls on my department when they can, as this is how they get experience. I credit a lot of my junior experience to the knowledge that I have today.
    Same for my Department, we too are issued Pagers, Gear, etc. and are asked to Respond to calls when we can. Getting manpower is hard enough, in our area. As we're all rural.
    Ryan Olsen
    Explorer Chief / Training Officer
    Apple River Fire & Rescue, Amery WI

Forum Member

I am 13 but was let in a year early since I have went on calls with my dad since I was 5 and am treated with the same responsibilities as a junior. I wasn't issued a pager but my dad was issued a minitor v and I use his old minitor iii. My department has a wall with extra gear in case we get any more members and I found a set of gear that fits me and my chief is fine with me using the gear and pager but if we need it for anything I have to turn it in.

Thread Information