Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By legos.8ty7
  • 2 Post By jdcrimsonjd

Thread: San Francisco 2014

Forum Member

Thumbs up San Francisco 2014

Here's the latest from the city's website.

The next selection process for entry-level H-2 Firefighter with the San Francisco Fire Department is tentatively scheduled for 2014.

To receive notification and details of next entry-level H-2 Firefighter selection process, you must submit an interest card by doing the following:

Log onto: www.jobaps.com/sf
    Select: "Notify Me of New Jobs"
    Select the letter: "F", and then select the job description: "H002 - Firefighter"
    On the top of the page, select: "Email Me when a Job Opens for the above position(s)"
    Enter your email address, and click "Next >>"

All interest card submissions are received by the City and County of San Francisco's Department of Human Resources (DHR); they do not go to the San Francisco Fire Department. The job notification database with the Department of Human Resources only keeps records for one year. If you do not receive notification from DHR after one year, you will need to resubmit another interest card. You will also need to resubmit another interest card if you change your email address.

The minimum requirements from the previous selection process are described below. For the next selection process, these requirements may change:

Applicants must be at least 19 years of age (no maximum age limit) and possess a high school diploma or GED. Applicants who pass the written test are placed on an eligible list. This is the list the SFFD will use to hire new firefighters. Applicants considered for an academy class are required to have an EMT-1 certificate (issued by the State of California or National Registry) and CPAT (Candidate Physical Ability Test) certificate to pass the background investigation process. The CPAT website is http://www.cffjac.org/go/jac/cpat. Applicants who successfully complete the background and medical exam process are eligible to attend the SFFD Fire Academy.

Forum Member

Still long ways from now, lol. I believe they will have two more classes from the current list not including the one graduating this or next week. One class for sure.

Forum Member

FDNY is testing in 2020.

Skitahoe, thanks for the year+ advance notice. Are you on with SF? (sarcasm)
    jdcrimsonjd likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by legos.8ty7 View Post
    FDNY is testing in 2020.

Skitahoe, thanks for the year+ advance notice. Are you on with SF? (sarcasm)

You know what this is really exciting news and 2014 will be here before you know it. I remember in 2009 when people said my dream dept won't be hiring for years, you need to be a medic etc. I just want to make the point that so many authorities on hiring in the fire service have made whether it's Chief Lepore, Paul Card, or whoever and that's you've gotta keep the faith. A years time between now and the next recruitment process for one of the best depts in the world may not even be enough time to prepare. Those that take the SF 2014 info seriously will be inspired, encouraged, and will start workin. I encourage you to be one of those individuals. I was one of those individuals 3 years ago and now I can proudly say I'm with my dream dept, a major dept in CA. I hope people don't see years between the present and the next hiring by a dept and become discouraged. One should use that time to become an even better candidate and achieve everything you can to best convince those on the otherside of the interview table that you have wanted the job more than anybody else, and your preparation started long before applications opened. If you want a job go get it no matter what anyone says or how far off it may seem.
    yjbrody and DJ_Reverse like this.

Forum Member

My bad... For some reason in my brain 2014 translated into next year.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jdcrimsonjd View Post
    You know what this is really exciting news and 2014 will be here before you know it. I remember in 2009 when people said my dream dept won't be hiring for years, you need to be a medic etc. I just want to make the point that so many authorities on hiring in the fire service have made whether it's Chief Lepore, Paul Card, or whoever and that's you've gotta keep the faith. A years time between now and the next recruitment process for one of the best depts in the world may not even be enough time to prepare. Those that take the SF 2014 info seriously will be inspired, encouraged, and will start workin. I encourage you to be one of those individuals. I was one of those individuals 3 years ago and now I can proudly say I'm with my dream dept, a major dept in CA. I hope people don't see years between the present and the next hiring by a dept and become discouraged. One should use that time to become an even better candidate and achieve everything you can to best convince those on the otherside of the interview table that you have wanted the job more than anybody else, and your preparation started long before applications opened. If you want a job go get it no matter what anyone says or how far off it may seem.
    good for you, brother. i already with your comment (although off topic), my point was why publicize that they're hiring? thanks for the encouragement, but im on a dept already... but yes, i will be at the SF test. those serious prospective firefighters already know which depts are going to be hiring. this forum has too many "hold-my-hand and telling who's hiring" guys and they have no desire to research depts. to each there own, its all good, but i would never thread about my dept hiring or any other FD. if you want to work for my dept, you should/already know when we're going hire. been to too many test and heard "oh my buddy told me, figured i'd come down"/"it was posted on a board".

Forum Member

Legos, I agree 100% with you! What kinda person would go on a Hiring and Employment Discussion Board and post information on hiring and employment? No, I do not like, not one bit. It goes against the idea of this forum. The free flowing of information on a social stage. Who would do such a thing. I am offended!

MembersZone Subscriber

If the 2014 test is like the previous test, then really there is no way to prepare for it. The test was video based situations with personality based questions. Around 8000 people took the test and over 4000 passed. Off that list less than 100 have been hired with no regards to where you are ranked of the list because the Chief has rule of the list which means that she can choose people at random. From following fire commission reports the Chief stated that she has been choosing people she feels best represent the city. Volunteers from their dept, women, people from different ethnicities and veterans which there is nothing wrong with that. But this test really is a lottery to get picked up. They also send out questionnaires asking which certs and education you have, I believe that this really does not matter either due the fact that I know candidates close to the top of the list with almost every cert in the questionnaire and also know a couple candidates that had zero experience and only an emt cert being farther down the list who were picked up. So good luck hopefully their hiring practices change to where they are picking up the most qualified for the next test. But this is truly an east coast department on the west coast.
    Last edited by ss1026; 12-05-2012 at 11:29 AM.

Thread Information