Like Tree10Likes

Thread: stored pressure water extinguishers

Forum Member

oh yeah I forgot to say that we add two shot glasses of 6% AFFF to our cans, and in the winter they get two shot glasses of RV anti-freeze.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Wink Huh??........

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Frankly though, I can't imagine that there are so many unltra busy fire companies out there that it couldn't wait until you got back to quarters.

Jeesh....... You need to get out more. On a recent Fire, (can't remember which one, they all run together after a while) we recharged our several cans on the scene and used them over and over...... Finally went to Master Streams..........

Seriously, I have refilled them on the Street when we've been running a lot of Brush Fires..... Engine Driver can do it while the Crew is picking up.......
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

We have them at my department. We refill them all the time. Just use regular air from an air compressor. As far as I know they have done it that way for a long time. No problems so far, we even throw a little dawn in there for some foam action! haha

Forum Member

We are in the process of building a brush truck. The truck will have a Warn Powerplant winch installed with an attached air compressor for filling water cans in the field. Also for airing up tires in the event we were to air them down for going off road.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Seriously, why are you using PW extinguishers for brush fires? Around here the majority of brush rigs carry Indian Can hand pump water cans that you strap on your back. No need for a compressor, just refill with water and off you go again.
    DeputyMarshal likes this.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    Jeesh....... You need to get out more. On a recent Fire, (can't remember which one, they all run together after a while) we recharged our several cans on the scene and used them over and over...... Finally went to Master Streams..........
    This is why we don't use PW extinguishers. We use the old manual pump cans. Hold more water, and you can refill it right in the house, just use a bath tub. Your reach is just as good, and it's not exactly strenuous physical labor.
    DeputyMarshal likes this.

Forum Member

Seriously, why are you using PW extinguishers for brush fires? Around here the majority of brush rigs carry Indian Can hand pump water cans that you strap on your back. No need for a compressor, just refill with water and off you go again.
    A PW has better reach and penetration,they both have their place.
    ?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
    A PW has better reach and penetration,they both have their place.
    ...hence the reason the truck I was talking about will be carrying 3 of each. Different tools in the tool box.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

MembersZone Subscriber

We have Indian packs (just got some of the "soft" packs).

Tried foam in them (penetration, etc). Yuck. Never again. You can't pump sudsy water.

The foam cans come in handy at grass/brush fires from time to time, for the reasons mentioned already.

Even though they're illegal, we still get burn barrels. A good soaking from a PW with foam in it sure beats stretching 200' of hose - 'cause the burn barrels are almost always waaaay back at the back of the property.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up And...........

Has anyone else run across the worlds biggest PWC??? Here in Maryland, back in the mid 1970s, a VFD had a major mechanical problem with their brush truck during a very busy brush Fire season. Asst. Chief of that VFD was a Plumber, and he quickly converted their 4x4 utility pickup to serve as a brush truck by installing 2 40 gallon Household water storage tanks and the required plumbing to operate it. A single Garden Hose, 80 gallons of Water at a starting pressure of 80psi, and some hand tools made a rig that wasn't too bad to work with....... It was in service for about a month, ran some 25-30 calls, and did quite well, although the ICs were usually careful to assign it to "Mop Up" work...... If I have/can find a photo, I'll post it.......
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Compressed air brush trucks are actually very common. State conservation here in Missouri uses them. Nashville TN used to have some DC's vehicles - suburbans in fact - equipped with them.

We refill our cans often at brush fires.

MembersZone Subscriber

Brush trucks in the midwest don't have air brakes. Air bottles make a great way to have an inexpensive way to refill tires, and PW cans.

Remember folks, you are dealing with departments all over - what works for you may not work for us - and vice versa.

Going to a gas station.... Thats funny. We have one in our 200 square mile area, and it does not have a compressor. While you may have plenty of places or resources, someone else may not.

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by LVFD301 View Post
    Brush trucks in the midwest don't have air brakes. Air bottles make a great way to have an inexpensive way to refill tires, and PW cans.

Remember folks, you are dealing with departments all over - what works for you may not work for us - and vice versa.

Going to a gas station.... Thats funny. We have one in our 200 square mile area, and it does not have a compressor. While you may have plenty of places or resources, someone else may not.
    Exactly why I suggested if the FD has an air chisel, or air bags, that they make up a hose to use on that regulator for filling PWs.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Thread Information