Forum Member

Default Promotion stopped at Capt.?

Have a question for the masses! The municipality I work for is revising thier nepotism policy. This will effect approximately 1/3 of our department in the future. The new policy will restrict promotions to maximum of Captain if you have a relative on the dept. This includes: brother in law, father in law, stepkids, etc. Now we have all heard of cases where family members were given preferential treatment on promotions. This is not the case with my department as promotions are based on test scores only. I see no problem with the way things are now....keep the family members on different shifts!! Does anyone out there have a similar policy or have experience with one? I'm trying to collect case study data. Thanks bro's!

Nepotism is always a gray area because as the definition of family evolves in the 21st century where does it stop? A career could be crippled if someone simply remarries.

The bottom line I have come across in all my employment (to include the military) is that so long as the family members are not in the same chain of command where influence can be given - then there is no issue. Not sure how your department ranks structure goes.

I'm sure there is plenty of information out there but limiting a career simply because of a family connection, that may or may not have been a relation when your employment began, seems fishy. It infringes on your personal right to select who you marry, date, or your childrens employment. I'd look into it. Check with the IAFF I am sure they have had to deal with this on many levels. Even if you're not union they can advise (I would hope)

Forum Member

Have heard similar policy, no direct supervision

Our city allows no relatives to work for same dept

Looks like they would let the grandfather apply, and start the policy from the day it is adopted !!!!

Forum Member

Have heard similar policy, no direct supervision

Our city allows no relatives to work for same dept

Looks like they would let the grandfather apply, and start the policy from the day it is adopted for anyone hired after that day!!!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by flip418 View Post
    Have a question for the masses! The municipality I work for is revising thier nepotism policy. This will effect approximately 1/3 of our department in the future.
    Are you are career, volunteer, or combination department? What type of municipality are you "employed" by, i.e. town, city, county, state, and/or etc.?

1/3 of your department is related to each other? How many members does your organization have?

The new policy will restrict promotions to maximum of Captain if you have a relative on the dept. This includes: brother in law, father in law, stepkids, etc.
    Without knowing ANY of the specifics regarding your organization, I'd have to wonder why they are stopping at "Captain". A Captain is a supervisor (likely first- or second-level but he/she is a supervisor). If the issue is relatives supervising each other, then they should look at restricting anyone from supervising relatives of any rank. Again, I do not know any specifics about your organization so I am just offering some ideas.

Now we have all heard of cases where family members were given preferential treatment on promotions. This is not the case with my department as promotions are based on test scores only. I see no problem with the way things are now....keep the family members on different shifts!!
    If 1/3 or your organization is related (as you stated above), keeping members out of a relative's chain of command or supervision could get very difficult to do while attempting to maintain any type of effectiveness/efficiency. For example, Firefighter "A" cannot work OT at this station on this shift because Firefighter "A" is related to Captain "A". Maybe send over to another station? Oh... nevermind, Firefighter "A" is married to the daughter of Captain "B".

Does anyone out there have a similar policy or have experience with one? I'm trying to collect case study data. Thanks bro's!
    There are alot of resources available. If you could provide some specifics about your department and the City you work for, you could likely get some better answers.
    DFW

"There's no such thing as a free lunch."

Forum Member

Default Re:

Thanks for the responses! DFW, I am vague about city size, department size, etc. for a reason. Our rank structure DOES keep family members on opposite shifts. Our problems have been with certain district chiefs who have sons on different shifts calling them back for OT. My municipality rearranged the nepotism policy over 16 years ago. It has been policy to let family members work but on opposite shifts or sometimes same shift different sides of town. And for the most part, these are not supervisory positions. My opinion is also to start the new policy from this point forward! The arguement has been made that it would take another 15-20 years to make it right, however, all that needs to happens is some accountability and it should never have become an issue in the first place! We'll see! Thanks to all for the input!

Let's talk fire trucks!

Our problems have been with certain district chiefs who have sons on different shifts calling them back for OT.
    Seems like Telestaff or a similar in-house overtime management program could be used to solve this issue.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

Default Re:

Oddly enough Box....that's exactly what they are looking at!

MembersZone Subscriber

Telestaff is great. It takes the favoritism out of it altogether. Nepotism, that's an entirely different topic. Let me get this straight, the department hires someone and then determines that in order to keep from preferential treatment they are going to restrict someone's ability to promote. Wy don't they simply restrict hiring a relative in the first place?
    If the relative is so qualified then he or she will get hired somewhere else.
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

Forum Member

Default Re:

The plan is to re-enforce the nepotism law to restrict family members from being able to come to work. However, they also want to freeze promotions for those of us already on the job to that of captain. They refer to district chief level positions as management and don't see captain or lieutenant as management.

Forum Member

The plan is to re-enforce the nepotism law to restrict family members from being able to come to work.
    "Re-enforcing" anything is a delicate issue depending on "how" it is done. Is this a rule that has been recinded and now is being re-evaluated and implemented OR is this an existing rule that has been "officially" on the books but enforcement has been hap-hazard? I ask these questions in a rhetorical sense to give you an idea of where I am going. If the rule has always been on the books but folks have chosen not to enforce it, that is an issue that needs to be addressed with the folks not following the rules.

However, they also want to freeze promotions for those of us already on the job to that of captain. They refer to district chief level positions as management and don't see captain or lieutenant as management.
    "Who" is "management" (and who is not) is likely established by your city personnel rules, HR, and/or your department (if you are separate from the city, i.e. an ESD or fire district funded by a millage).
    DFW

"There's no such thing as a free lunch."

Thread Information