Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

    Default EXPLOSION!: Halifax, Nova Scotia

    Now that I got your attention. There really was an explosion in Halifax, 6 December 1917. Two ships, SS MONT BLANC and SS IMO, collided while transiting the Narrows. MONT BLANC, from New York, was carrying a full load of picric acid, gun cotton and TNT. The result was MONT BLANC catching fire and having been abandonded by the crew, drifted into the dockyard area in Halifax before exlpoding with was was rated as the largest man-made explosion ever recorded (until recently).

    The following is an excerpt from the Wiki list, regarding the fire department response:

    FiremenSee also: Halifax Regional Fire and Emergency
    Firemen were among the first to respond to the disaster, rushing to Mont-Blanc to attempt to extinguish the blaze before the explosion even occurred. They also played an instrumental role in regaining control of the devastated city after the blast, with members arriving to assist from across Halifax, and by the end of the day from as far away as Springhill (180 kilometres / 110 miles), Amherst, Nova Scotia (200 kilometres / 120 miles), and Moncton, New Brunswick (260 kilometres / 160 miles), via relief trains.

    Halifax's Fire Department at the time comprised 8 fire stations, 122 members (36 of whom were fully employed), 13 apparatus (1 of which was motorized), and roughly 30 horses. West Street's Station 2 was the first to arrive at pier 6 with the crew of the American LaFrance-built Patricia, the first motorized fire engine in Canada.

    They were responding to Box 83, the dockyard alarm at the corner of Roome Street and Campbell Road (now Barrington Street), as Mont-Blanc drifted toward its resting place at Pier 6. Although the dockyard alarms were routine for the department, today was different, as North End general storekeeper Constant Upham could see the serious nature of the fire from his home and called surrounding fire stations to advise them. Upham's store was on Campbell Road, directly in view of the burning ship, and as one of the few buildings at the time with a telephone, he placed his call sometime after 8:45 that morning. Despite this warning, none of the firemen knew that the ship carried munitions. It was believed however, that the vessel's crew was still on board, as West Street's Station 2, Brunswick Street's Station 1, Göttingen Street, and Quinpool Road's Station 5 responded to Upham's call.

    Fire Chief Edward P. Condon and Deputy Chief William P. Brunt were next on the scene, arriving from Brunswick Street in the department's 1911 McLaughlin Roadster. The heat was so overwhelming, no one could look at the inferno. Chief Condon pulled the Box 83 alarm again. In the final moments before the explosion, hoses were being unrolled as the fire spread to the docks. Retired Hoseman John Spruin Sr. was on his way from Brunswick Street in a horse-drawn pumper, and Hoseman John H. E. Duggan was travelling from Isleville Street's Station 7 with another horse-drawn firefighting wagon.

    None of the firemen knew the danger that they faced as 9:04 arrived, bringing about the explosion that obliterated the dockyard fire site. Fire Chief Edward Condon and Deputy Chief William Brunt were killed immediately along with the Patricia's crew members: Captain William T. Broderick, Captain G. Michael Maltus, Hoseman Walter Hennessey, and Hoseman Frank Killeen. Teamsters John Spruin and John Duggan were both struck and killed by shrapnel en route to the fire. Their horses were also killed instantly in the blast. Patricia hoseman Frank D. Leahy died on December 31, 1917 from his injuries. Nine members of the Halifax Fire Department lost their lives performing their duty that day.

    The only surviving member at the scene was Patricia driver Billy (William) Wells, who was opening a hydrant at the time of the blast. He recounts the event for the Mail Star, October 6, 1967,

    “ That's when it happened ... The first thing I remember after the explosion was standing quite a distance from the fire engine ... The force of the explosion had blown off all my clothes as well as the muscles from my right arm... ”

    It is explained that Billy was standing again as the tsunami came over him. He managed to remain on land.
    “ ...After the wave had receded I didn't see anything of the other firemen so made my way to the old magazine on Campbell Road ... The sight was awful ... with people hanging out of windows dead. Some with their heads off, and some thrown onto the overhead telegraph wires ... I was taken to Camp Hill Hospital and lay on the floor for two days waiting for a bed. The doctors and nurses certainly gave me great service ”

    Notably, firefighter Albert Brunt also survived the blast, by chance, as he slipped while attempting to jump onto the Patricia as it rounded a corner on its way to the docks. MALNOTE: I guess this is one time when riding on the tailboard actually saved someone?

    Efforts to subdue the blazes were hampered when firefighters arriving from nearby communities had difficulty connecting their hoses to the differently sized connections of Halifax's hydrants, a problem which inspired standardized hose fittings after the war.[65] A new pumper was purchased by the city and arrived just a few days after the explosion. The Patricia was later restored by the American LaFrance company for $6,000, who donated $1,500 to a fund for the families of the firemen. The families of firemen killed in the blast received $1,000 from the city (close to $15,000 in 2007 dollars), with the exception of one, who received $500.

    On the 75th anniversary of the Halifax Explosion, December 6, 1992, the Halifax Fire Department erected a monument at the current Station 4, at the corner of Lady Hammond Road and Robie Street, in honour of the fallen members who died fighting the fire on Mont-Blanc.

    Casualties of the Halifax Explosion:

    more than 1900 people killed
    9000 injured
    1600 buildings destroyed
    12,000 houses damaged
    6000 homeless; 25,000 people with inadequate housing

    For the full articles, please see:



    http://canadaonline.about.com/b/2012...stmas-tree.htm (THANK YOU Boston!)
    Last edited by MalahatTwo7; 12-06-2012 at 08:23 AM.

  2. #2
    Forum Member DeputyChiefGonzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Somewhere between genius and insanity!


    Rick.. thanks for posting that. Boston and Halifax have a bond due to this tragedy that remains strong to this very dday.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

  3. #3
    MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.


    Thanks RON (my bad! Sorry Art, wrong name). My Grandmother talked about this sometimes. I dont remember if she was old enough to have been there, but I seem to recall that we had relatives who were. That half of the family are Ukranian, so Halifax would have been a jump point into Canada.

    Also, its a story that often gets forgotten by most of the world, due in part to the events which were part and parcel of why there was shipboard explosion in the first place.
    Last edited by MalahatTwo7; 12-10-2012 at 03:37 PM. Reason: (my bad! wrong name)

  4. #4
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003


    1900 killed -and i bet few if any lawsuits. Times change

  5. #5
    MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.


    Actually the attachments have greater detail about that. Not so much personal lawsuits as what was brought on by the local government. The King's Harbour Master (KHM) was charged (and later released) as was the Pilot on Mont-Blanc. The Pilot was later acquitted of all charges. The CO of the Mont-Blanc was "charged" but was suddenly recalled back to France. He was expected to face charges from the French civil authorities, but never did. Apparently he went on to become a "War Hero" and all reference to the Mont-Blanc was removed from his permanent record. Funny that eh?

    The KHM was recalled and given a desk job in some backwater place and quietly retired, on orders of the PM at the time. Unfortunately the CO of IMO was killed in the incident, and initially all blame was cast upon him (of course he could not defend himself), however in the final wash, blame was to be shared equally between the CO's of both ships.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Newbie from Nova Scotia
    By Highfield in forum Meet and Greet
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-07-2008, 12:39 AM
  2. Nova Scotia 2004
    By NJFFSA16 in forum Wildland Firefighting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-16-2004, 04:47 AM
  3. Hello From Nova Scotia
    By BrentDenny in forum Meet and Greet
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-21-2003, 01:15 PM
  4. Hello from Nova Scotia, Canada
    By McGruff in forum Meet and Greet
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-18-2000, 02:13 PM
  5. Welcome from Nova Scotia, Canada
    By Reliance in forum Meet and Greet
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-17-1999, 02:24 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts