+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Buffoonery at its best...

Forum Member

Default Buffoonery at its best...

Forum Member

I hope those guys are alright.

As unfortunate as this is, this will be a good training video on why to heel a ladder.

Quote Originally Posted by BSFD9302 View Post
    I hope those guys are alright.

As unfortunate as this is, this will be a good training video on why to heel a ladder.
    And why to not set it up on a slick surface, and why to use a roof ladder, and what can happen when you vent something that has CLEARLY vented itself...
    DKennedy82, ffbam24 and Miller337 like this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    --General James Mattis, USMC

Quote Originally Posted by BSFD9302 View Post
    It is certainly easy to "Monday Morning Quarterback" a fire and videos such as this one make it difficult not to cast stones, however, this one is an excellent example of "bread and butter" basics of the fire service, i.e. foot the ladder.

I hope these guys are okay.
    DFW

"There's no such thing as a free lunch."

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

I agree on footing the ladder. That is a basic entry level firefighter taught skill.

There however is no way to use a roof ladder from the position they set up in. They would have had to go to the B side and place the ladder in between the houses to have a peak to place the roof ladder over.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

MembersZone Subscriber Chief_Roy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF View Post
    And why to not set it up on a slick surface, and why to use a roof ladder, and what can happen when you vent something that has CLEARLY vented itself...
    I'm glad somebody else noticed that. I don't claim to be the world's best tactician, but I couldn't for the life of me figure out why they needed to vent something that had already vented.
    ffbam24 and ffhh74 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chief_Roy View Post
    I'm glad somebody else noticed that. I don't claim to be the world's best tactician, but I couldn't for the life of me figure out why they needed to vent something that had already vented.
    And what products were they hoping to release? They are in the adjacent living space, i.e. the garage, and have no fire. So the best they could hope to do is grab some of the fire from the rear of the house and draw it toward the front of the house, thus spreading the fire.
    DCmedic1 likes this.

Forum Member

OWWWWW!! SOB!!

That's one of those videos that needs to be shown to rookies. It's important to teach the basics, but it's also effective to show what can happen if you don't do something properly. That would've been a great spot to park a ladder truck if they had one. Dang, that video made me cringe!

I literally said outloud to myself seeing him go up the ladder, even before the second started up was, "Where the frak is he going?"
    Then the second clip to where both are near the top, the roof ladder (unused) at the side and realizing they were on a slick driveway with no one butting the ladder, my thoughts turned to "this can't be good".

Hope the brothers are okay. Any follow-up?

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF View Post
    And what products were they hoping to release? They are in the adjacent living space, i.e. the garage, and have no fire. So the best they could hope to do is grab some of the fire from the rear of the house and draw it toward the front of the house, thus spreading the fire.
    There was "firefighters " walking around in the garage at one point while this insanity was taking place.
    The engine was being fed with a 3" supply line and there was 3 1 1/2" attack lines for a fire which clearly needed at least 2 2 1/2 lines and then some.

Forum Member

I don't want to Monday morning QB this.. ESP with my relatively limited experience.. But is there any benefit to venting that roof? I mean could there be a void space? There's an aweful lot of people who saw the ladder not being footed.. I mean..

I just hope the brothers are ok.. ESP the 1 who looked like got hit with the saw.

Quote Originally Posted by BigGriffC12 View Post
    I don't want to Monday morning QB this.. ESP with my relatively limited experience.. But is there any benefit to venting that roof? I mean could there be a void space? There's an aweful lot of people who saw the ladder not being footed.. I mean..

I just hope the brothers are ok.. ESP the 1 who looked like got hit with the saw.
    If you ever wonder about the impact of venting laterally from where a fire has already vented, view this and skip ahead to 3:15...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZzQibzeWtY

Forum Member

I really try to not MMQB, but if there ever was a video of WHEN NOT to do vertical ventilation and HOW NOT to do it....this is it.
    Miller337 likes this.

MembersZone Subscriber

So they weren't attempting to draw the fire to that area over the garage? I figured they were helping the homeowner reduce his debris removal costs.
    Miller337 likes this.

DevilDog 4 calls it "buffonery"... trust me, this happens all over the country, Canada, Mexico, South America, Europe, Asia and every point in between.

It comes to one word... training.

Firefighters get "insulted" when we go "back to the basics " for drills. Seeing videos like this only reinforces the need for visiting the basics.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

So much fail here even if the ladder sliding out was not a part of this. I hope those two are ok, that was a pretty long fall.

p.s. In my opinion, on a public forum critiquing a video is a learning process, not Monday morning quarterbacking. I don't know when discussing this stuff became taboo.
    rm1524 likes this.
    IAFF

Forum Member

anyone notice the one handed saw work ?
    ?

Quote Originally Posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
    anyone notice the one handed saw work ?
    Yeah, but the no hands saw trick is what really grabs your attention.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Miller337 View Post
    Yeah, but the no hands saw trick is what really grabs your attention.
    yeah -deff an aww sh1t moment
    ?

Forum Member

why even put yourself in a dangerous position like that to vent a garage attached to a home completely engulfed in flames?

and the horizontal vent video was an utter disgrace! **** like that happens all the time!

Thread Information