Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Rice09

Thread: What to expect initially?

Forum Member

Default What to expect initially?

Hello,
    As someone who has recently applied to the local volunteer outfit, I was wondering what can be expected initially? I am hoping to get in right after I turn 18, and from my understanding I don't have a lot to worry about. However I was wondering what to expect initially. I know I was told that it will take a while to get into FF1, and rightfully so I want to take my time to learn the 'business' in and out before proceeding further on.

I have to complete Basic Life Support (BLS) training during my probation, although hopefully as close to immediately as possible. Is this something that is generally handled 'in-house?' Is it wise to try and get done a lot of medical training as soon as possible, beyond just the basics? I don't really anticipate going EMT...

I know that I can expect to be a 'go-fer' for the first few months, but what kind of 'activities' can I expect to be performing? I don't anticipate charging into fires! However can I expect to be involved with MVAs (not looking forward to it..) and that kind of stuff?

Is there anything that I should try to get done as soon as possible in terms of additional, independent training/preparation? I know FEMA offers online classes, are these worth getting done or a waste of time?

I live in New England, so we aren't a wildfire area (as bad as say California.... although we do have some, such as the Blue Hills in Massachusetts, which are always burning...)

I apologise for any grammatical errors.

Thank You.

Forum Member

Some of the FEMA courses you should look at are National Incident Management System (NIMS) courses 100, 200, 700 & 800.

These four NIMS courses are pretty much required for any emergency organization, including fire departments.

Good luck in your endeavors!

Quote Originally Posted by Highschoolvolunteer View Post
    Hello,
    As someone who has recently applied to the local volunteer outfit, I was wondering what can be expected initially? I am hoping to get in right after I turn 18, and from my understanding I don't have a lot to worry about. However I was wondering what to expect initially. I know I was told that it will take a while to get into FF1, and rightfully so I want to take my time to learn the 'business' in and out before proceeding further on.

The application process for a volunteer department is nothing like a paid company, you really don't have to worry about anything other then if they are accepting applications or not.

I have to complete Basic Life Support (BLS) training during my probation, although hopefully as close to immediately as possible. Is this something that is generally handled 'in-house?' Is it wise to try and get done a lot of medical training as soon as possible, beyond just the basics? I don't really anticipate going EMT...

BLS training can be as far as an EMT, or as short as a First Responder Course. Either one could be done in house if the company has certified instructors on hand, and can run a class based on your EMS Region. Thats something your going to have to see about when you get there. Your more then likely going to change your mind about going for your EMT.

I know that I can expect to be a 'go-fer' for the first few months, but what kind of 'activities' can I expect to be performing? I don't anticipate charging into fires! However can I expect to be involved with MVAs (not looking forward to it..) and that kind of stuff?

If your not looking forward to being involved in MVA's, what are you expecting? You need to learn the truck's inside and out, whats what your going to be getting for people. You won't be directly involved in almost any incident until you receive some training, gain some trust, and show respect/knowledge/interest to the officers.
    Is there anything that I should try to get done as soon as possible in terms of additional, independent training/preparation? I know FEMA offers online classes, are these worth getting done or a waste of time?

As said above, the FEMA NIMS courses are something good to get you started, other then that, just wait and see what the company wants from you.

I live in New England, so we aren't a wildfire area (as bad as say California.... although we do have some, such as the Blue Hills in Massachusetts, which are always burning...)

Okay?

I apologise for any grammatical errors.

Thank You.
    Your welcome...
    Firefighter 1/ PA EMT-B

Forum Member

Oops... That part where you put 'okay?' was accidentally truncated... What I meant by that paragraph was that we aren't in a wildfire area, so that gives an idea of what kind of geography we are in, and therefore what kind of training.

As for your first paragraph response, I meant once accepted.

As for the second, based on the wording of the application it meant basic stuff such as CPR and First Aid...

Thanks, both Fire117 and yourself, for the info on the NIMS training.
    Last edited by Highschoolvolunteer; 12-11-2012 at 03:11 PM.

Forum Member

You should concentrate on finishing high school first, get that out of the way. Then you'll have a lot more time to dedicate to learning the fire service. It sounds like you may be a senior, which means you'd only have to wait about six months. You've got plenty of time, enjoy school before you have to go earn a living.

Forum Member

Im sorry John, but my intentions remain.

The effort you put in will only benefit you in the future. Younger men are sometimes very eager and confident, but in the line of work mental maturity trumps physical ability. That being said, train. Then train some more. And after that train. When you think you know everything, guess what? Train more.

The 1st thing I ask new members I train is what do you see yourself doing? Interior, Scene support etc-etc.
    You can go right after FF1 and probably do well, but I would recommend feeling your way through your department 1st. Ask questions. Grab yourself a notebook, go through every truck you have and make an inventory list. Compartment by compartment. Don't know what this funny looking thing is? Ask. Write it down and then study what its used for. In my opinion, hanging at the firehouse, teaching yourself where everything is is a good start. So when asked; " Mr. Smith, grab me a hydrant kit or even duck tape." -- You know right where it is. By writing it down as you touch each piece of equipment on each truck you will eventually develop a memory of where things are. I would start there. Be patient.
    BSFD9302 and FF14 like this.

Forum Member

Oh most certainly, I see all of your points. I don't intend to go charging right after FF1.. I intend to wait until atleast next (school) year. The department to which I am applying I see mostly as a stepping stone, not to sound inconsiderate; I want to get into the fire service, that way when I go to university I can continue by volunteering with the VFDs near the uni (ie: URI-> Kingston VFD), after having gotten my feet wet. I figure in the interim I can learn the ropes and hopefully be of assistance to my community. So, I do intend to take my time learning everything....

Forum Member

The department to which I am applying I see mostly as a stepping stone, not to sound inconsiderate; I want to get into the fire service, that way when I go to university I can continue by volunteering with the VFDs near the uni (ie: URI-> Kingston VFD), after having gotten my feet wet.
    Sorry to be a downer but don't bother joining now. You're not serving your community by having your local department pay for training and gear just so you can quit a year later. Just wait until you get to college and join that department At least then you'll (hopefully) be there for four years.

Forum Member

Well, I should rephrase... the length of time I am here really hasn't been determined yet, however I can only 'see' as far as the next 6mo.

I also I noticed you misquoted me, the last part is quite critical to my point--its about learning the ropes, I don't intend to volunteer for out-of-house training, until I get to where I am going.

Well, I appreciate those who offered advice, and all shall definitely be considered. I however see this topic going downhill... I have to request that off-topic posting such as 'don't bother' or 'wait' be minimized, simply to keep things kosher. Cheers!
    Last edited by Highschoolvolunteer; 12-13-2012 at 07:10 PM.

Well, I should rephrase... the length of time I am here really hasn't been determined yet, however I can only 'see' as far as the next 6mo.

I also I noticed you misquoted me, the last part is quite critical to my point--its about learning the ropes, I don't intend to volunteer for out-of-house training, until I get to where I am going.

Well, I appreciate those who offered advice, and all shall definitely be considered. I however see this topic going downhill... I have to request that off-topic posting such as 'don't bother' or 'wait' be minimized, simply to keep things kosher. Cheers!
    Kid you have a good attitude, you get with it and join. The rest of you. Gentlemen, since this kid showed up here he has been nothing but polite, seems eager yet has some understanding of the commitment he is contemplating and hasn't used that awful texting once. I think this kid is worth some of our time.

Kid if you need some help P.M. me I'll set you up with someone in your area. Also, take all of EMT courses you can without disrupting your schoolwork.

Forum Member

Thank you for your kind words, Miller. I may very well take you up on your offer!

You do that.

Forum Member

I think you being in high school is the perfect time for you to be learning all you can about he fire service. Besides, isn't trying to find what you want to do in life the emerging main focus for high schools now? It seems that it is alright to prepare yourself for other careers while in high school except for Emergency Services. You have the correct attitude and drive. Taking your time is the right way to do things. Plus if you start realizing that the fire service is not for you no one or at least mostly no one will hold it against you.

My only one thing, as we do not know you and you do not know us, take everything you read in forums with a grain of salt. If you want to learn the trade do it from a proper source. A forum is not that proper source.

I know many juniors that have become excellent career firefighters. And our department does not hold any contempt for them for using our fire department as a learning tool. In fact we are quite proud of the fact they started in our fire department. That, to me, shows that we encouraged them and gave them the correct stepping stones to achieve their career goal in life.

Good Luck!!

Forum Member

all i can say is i was practicably born into the fire service. my dad has been chief of my vfd for about ten years now. but to be truthfully honest i still don't know ten% of what almost every on here knows and they will all be very helpful to you with questions you have about anything, but the most helpful are the ones on your fire department. my advice to you is when you start your ff1 read your text book cover to cover and learn it because that book is what your main test is based on that book. not that im saying the guys on your department will teach you wrong they most definabley will not but every single fire department in our country has there own S.O.P. and S.O.G. also ask your department if they have a copy of that book it will help you out alot with understanding all them thingys and watch ya call it's and a copy of there by laws and the S.O.P. and S.O.G. take in as much as you can and be safe. but remember you will never learn everything.

good luck and be safe
    Last edited by ff548; 12-19-2012 at 07:57 PM. Reason: mis type

I would consider any younger person in high school as a new member at whatever capacity that may be. If they come for a bit and leave to pursue other options, careers, schooling etc. - So be it. The fact that someone wants to volunteer is what a department should look for. If you need to purchase gear for a new member, that's what you need to do. The gear can always be handed to another member.

Thread Information