Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Biggest pet peeve....

Forum Member

Default Biggest pet peeve....

Not sure if we've done something like this before, but I figured I'd throw it out there.

What's your biggest pet peeve about fireground operations? I know we all probably have a million things we'd like changed/avoided, but if you had to pick one.

For me, it'd be companies that (or ICs that order) stretch the 2nd line before the first line is even charged, much less making any progress on the fire.

Forum Member

People who just break windows. They just roll up, see a building on fire, and decide that every window in the place needs to be smashed. No thought on effective horizontal venting, or on coordinating with the hose line. Not only is it pointless, but it's dangerous and can effect fire growth and spread in a bad way.

My pet peeves are...

Doorway dancers. These people always manage to have a problem with their SCBA unit, the way their turnout gear is buttoned up or manage to forget to grab a tool, sometimes the combination of all three just as they are about to enter the structure that is on fire.

Skaters: People who do the bare minimum on the fireground and smudge their faces with some ash to make it appear they have done something. Usually found in the rehab area or at the canteen truck telling tall tales of how they helped to make the rescue or save the building.

Blisters: These are firefighters who get called in for incidents, and always manage show up after all the hard work has been done.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rescue_1 View Post
    People who just break windows. They just roll up, see a building on fire, and decide that every window in the place needs to be smashed. No thought on effective horizontal venting, or on coordinating with the hose line. Not only is it pointless, but it's dangerous and can effect fire growth and spread in a bad way.
    This is my number one peeve. I have actually been inside when some yahoo decided to do this. Not Fun!!!!!!

In order of my distaste:
    1. Entering without any tools. Truck company members better have at least two tools. And at least ONE member of the handline team should at least have an axe tucked into their scba belt. If you come inside without a tool (or a handline), you had better have a white helmet on, because you are farking useless. And it can be debated about some white helmets being useless.

2. Company officers rolling to a working fire who call the IC on the radio before their arrival wanting orders. STFU!!!! Any IC worth half his weight knows you are coming, and will direct you where he wants you and when he wants you there. If you arrive on the fireground, just call on location. If the IC needs you, he'll ask for you or ask dispatch for you. In the meantime, the airwaves are clogged enough, the IC is busy enough, so shut your farking piehole and enjoy the ride as you discuss the building with your members and what you may be possibly doing. If you are on an engine, look up hydrant locations and discuss with your D/O. If you are a truck, discuss potential aerial placement versus where the fire is with the info you have thus far. STFU and put the microphone back into it's holder. IF I WANT YOU I'LL FARKING CALL FOR YOU.

3. "Mother-May-I" Company Officer. If I give you an assignment, get it done, I dont give two schits how you do it. Dont call me on the radio asking if you should pull walls and ceilings in an exposure apartment of a complex. I told you to check for extension, if you think you need to do it, just farking do it. I would rather answer for why it was done and there was no fire found than you not do it and have to come back four hours later for more fire through the roof. If I tell you to establish a water supply, I dont care how you do it- hydrant, drafting, cistern, swimming pool, camel- just get me water. Dont call me on the radio and ask if you should tap a hydrant on Main Street at rush hour- I dont give a crap about traffic. Just get me the water and let me worry about the cops and politicians. And if its the early stages of the fire, I will probably tell you which hydrant to tap- that was for a reason, probably because I want the other end of the fireground open for incoming apparatus.

4. Quints that dont have enough ground ladders: Get that useless piece of schit off my fireground. Enough said.
    bcjack and FIREMECH1 like this.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Truck has to have the front...everytime. Regardless of the fact there may be trees, overhead wires, etc that make the aerial totally useless....but it has to be in front. Ya, hoses stretch ladders don't. But wasting space with an unusable truck is just that....wasting space.

And to contradict....

Engines not leaving room for the truck. When it can be used....leave room for it.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

IC micromanagement.

If you are a riding B/C with a shift made up a crews you have worked with long enough to trust and expect certain things from, you should not have to tell those crews every little thing to do when they arrive on scene. Let me do my job. I was once told (while assigned as the driver of a truck company) that if we arrived on scene and did anything without being told first that we were freelancing.

The particular activity in question was throwing ground ladders on a multi story working fire without being told.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

Folks that overtighten hose connections.

Hose connections should be snug buit should be able to be broken without a spanner wrench. For god's sake snug is tight enough!

And I'm with FWD on the tools. It is something that we have been trying to drive home on my VFD for the last year or so, and it's finally happening.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Directing hose streams in windows while we are working inside.
    bcjack likes this.
    Bring enough hose.

MembersZone Subscriber Chief_Roy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by L-Webb View Post
    Directing hose streams in windows while we are working inside.
    But on the other hand, one of my pet peeves was old schoolers losing their minds if we tried to put a little water in the window to knock the fire down until we could get packed up and inside with a line. We actually had a policy on the books when I started that anybody caught spraying water through a window for any reason could face immediate termination.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyChiefGonzo View Post
    My pet peeves are...
    Blisters: These are firefighters who get called in for incidents, and always manage show up after all the hard work has been done.
    Aren't they also called Chief? :-) Just kidding.

Along with the Truck-Engine-Truck peeve mine is a total congestion of the fire scene of vehicles that do not need to be there. FF responding POV do not need to park their vehicles where engines may come in or tankers may be running shuttle or the EMS squad needs to stage in case of injury.

Likewise, of course rubberneckers need to controlled and not allowed around fire scene. WE have enough to worry about our guys, no need to be worrying about people strolling around a fire scene to see what is going on.

A big one-Fighting a fire without an airpack or complete bunker gear, i.e. Bunker Jacket with jeans or shorts.
    Last edited by BSFD9302; 12-11-2012 at 10:51 AM.

Batt chiefs that clog up the radio with traffic and take command while their still en route.

Command that decides to move operations to another channel while attack is inside getting their *****es handed to them.

Captains that are indecisive about fireground tactics.

Engineers that drive slow, aren't familiar with their first in, don't notice changes in the water delivery and adjust accordingly.

Hosemen that just spray water at anything and everything after getting past the threshold.

Headquarters that think you only exist in the field because of the hard work that they do.

A mayor and city council that feel that 64 on duty line personnel is quite enough for a city of 5000,000+ and want to cut more.
    IAFF

Quote Originally Posted by Chief_Roy View Post
    But on the other hand, one of my pet peeves was old schoolers losing their minds if we tried to put a little water in the window to knock the fire down until we could get packed up and inside with a line. We actually had a policy on the books when I started that anybody caught spraying water through a window for any reason could face immediate termination.
    That is a tad much, I have no problem knocking the fire down through a window have done it many times. It's when your inside and a stream almost peels your mask off that gets me.
    Bring enough hose.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyChiefGonzo View Post
    My pet peeves are...

Doorway dancers. These people always manage to have a problem with their SCBA unit, the way their turnout gear is buttoned up or manage to forget to grab a tool, sometimes the combination of all three just as they are about to enter the structure that is on fire.

Skaters: People who do the bare minimum on the fireground and smudge their faces with some ash to make it appear they have done something. Usually found in the rehab area or at the canteen truck telling tall tales of how they helped to make the rescue or save the building.

Yeah we got a couple of skaters in my dept, that dont do anything while the rest of us work our asses off and they seem to be the ones to get a bottle of water first

Forum Member

Something that ****es me off after a fire is tools being left dirty

MembersZone Subscriber Chief_Roy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by L-Webb View Post
    That is a tad much, I have no problem knocking the fire down through a window have done it many times. It's when your inside and a stream almost peels your mask off that gets me.
    Agreed. Got hit in the face a few times from outside. Not fun.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chief_Roy View Post
    Yes, the fear that putting water into the building will make the fire worse, so never ever ever do it!!!!!!

As a general rule it is not a good idea, but there are times that due to difficult access, staffing, the first in piece being the wrong type (brush rig, minipumper etc) where getting a line to the window of a room and contents fire might be enough to keep the fire in check until everybody gets there.

When I was younger the city I lived in had FD run ambulances. A quick thinking ambulance crew was able to knock down an incipiant stage fire with a garden hose through a basement window before the first due engine arrived. Had they stood around for the 10 minutes it took to get an engine onscene, minor damage may have been total loss (another fire going in the city so resources were delayed).

It is right up there with never enter a building without a charged line. Again, a good general rule, but as long as people are thinking about where the fire is, and know their escape routes there are times where a quick save is possible. I know the VES school of people will agree with that, but there are some out there who think VES is just an excuse for fancy firefighter funerals.

Actually now that I think about it, pretty much any policy that says always or never. Always policies tend to put people on a roof that has already vented, never policies are already mentioned above.

PASS alarms.

They're an important tool for us, but how many fireground videos have you seen/heard where multiple PASS alarms are blatting away and being completely ignored?

What happens when one does go off 'cause somebody is in trouble?
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tree68 View Post
    PASS alarms.

They're an important tool for us, but how many fireground videos have you seen/heard where multiple PASS alarms are blatting away and being completely ignored?

Ditto. Drives me nuts! Keep moving while your pack is on and when you take it off shut the dang thing down!

Also gotta go with the earlier one about breaking every window in the building. Just pure stupidity!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tree68 View Post
    PASS alarms.

I know they are important too, but I hate them. Not because somebody else's is going off, but because I can't keep mine quiet (various models too). I've slapped 'em, whacked 'em, jumped up and down with 'em, sworn at them, and they still beep away. Maybe I'm so smoooth that they can never tell I'm never moving.

Thread Information