Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By tree68

Thread: OSHA Training

Forum Member

Default OSHA Training

Just curious how you guys do your OSHA annual training. In the past we've done a routine training with a bunch of videos, but decided to change it up and do more hands on. And, we are going to spread it out instead of cramming it into a two day event. Actual get something out of it.

Forum Member

OSHA annual training? Fit Test....has to be manually done, no video. Right to Know? how can you do that other than video/presentation? Blood borne pathogens....again video/presentation.

What OSHA training are you doing that is hands on based?
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    OSHA annual training? Fit Test....has to be manually done, no video. Right to Know? how can you do that other than video/presentation? Blood borne pathogens....again video/presentation.

What OSHA training are you doing that is hands on based?
    Not all of it is. And we have a certified member who does the blood borne via a Jeopardy game. There are a lot of hands on. SCBA, PPE, equipment, etc.. etc..

Our SCBA mask Fit tests are done separately - not part of OSHA

We also have a coupe members on our County Emergency Response HAZMAT team who instruct the Hazmat info.
    Last edited by Rice09; 12-12-2012 at 12:02 AM.

Forum Member

I would question why you would bother changing it. Most people have been through it before time and time again. Its most of the same info so just get it done and go on to actual training...
    Theres only one simple truth in this business...we are all going to lose someone

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rice09 View Post
    ....SCBA, PPE, equipment, etc.. etc..
    You call that OSHA training? Ok, that's why I asked. Our only OSHA referenced mandates are what I listed.

For fire fighting training....yes, lots of hands on. and then more hands on.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Annual OSHA Safety Refresher Training Requirements:

General Hazard Recognition 30 minutes

Fire Station Safety 30 minutes

Response Safety 45 minutes

Fire Scene Safety 75 minutes

Protective Clothing 1 hour

SCBA 2 hours

Tool & Equipment Safety 1 hour

Recent Developments in
    Fire Safety 1 hour

The "Eight Hour OSHA Refresher."

I'm in the process of setting up a second annual "training day" to which any and all are invited. Each topic will be presented by a different person, hopefully a subject matter "expert." Last year we had the area rep from a major PPE manufacturer do the PPE portion - lucky catch.

Over 50 firefighters from about a dozen area agencies took it in. The only thing we didn't include was hands-on for SCBA, as we figured that was best done in one's own station.

While getting seven different presenters can be a challenge, it means the attendees aren't faced with listening to one person drone on for the whole day. The only problem we had last year was having several presenters cover the same material, albeit from different angles. We're working to prevent that this year.

We throw in some refreshments and lunch, too. This year we hope to get some area fire equipment dealer to set up display tables.

The critiques were quite positive, and I expect we'll see many more here for this year's session.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Forum Member

The 8 hr OSHA here in NYS can not be any more boring. Not even 8 sexy women could fix it. There are very few changes in it each year. But some bureaucrat decided we need it every year. By the way Bones, it's a NYS thing.
    Stephen J Bourassa
    Latham FD (NY)
    member since 1969
    challenge competitor since 1993

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DCmedic1 View Post
    I would question why you would bother changing it. Most people have been through it before time and time again. Its most of the same info so just get it done and go on to actual training...
    Because sitting in a chair for two nights is boring and members in my department have gone to another depts training in the past. Since I'm doing it, I'm not doing videos. Just getting it done to get it done is the problem. We'll get more out of it. We're changing it because every year new information on tools, equipment, standards, etc....change. Such as fire safety, Things change. So, even though it seems to be the same, its not. It shouldn't be the same year after year just because thats how its always been done.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tree68 View Post
    Annual OSHA Safety Refresher Training Requirements:

General Hazard Recognition 30 minutes

Fire Station Safety 30 minutes

Response Safety 45 minutes

Fire Scene Safety 75 minutes

Protective Clothing 1 hour

SCBA 2 hours

Tool & Equipment Safety 1 hour

Recent Developments in
    Fire Safety 1 hour

The "Eight Hour OSHA Refresher."

I'm in the process of setting up a second annual "training day" to which any and all are invited. Each topic will be presented by a different person, hopefully a subject matter "expert." Last year we had the area rep from a major PPE manufacturer do the PPE portion - lucky catch.

Over 50 firefighters from about a dozen area agencies took it in. The only thing we didn't include was hands-on for SCBA, as we figured that was best done in one's own station.

While getting seven different presenters can be a challenge, it means the attendees aren't faced with listening to one person drone on for the whole day. The only problem we had last year was having several presenters cover the same material, albeit from different angles. We're working to prevent that this year.

We throw in some refreshments and lunch, too. This year we hope to get some area fire equipment dealer to set up display tables.

The critiques were quite positive, and I expect we'll see many more here for this year's session.
    You're doing it all in one day?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Rice09 View Post
    You're doing it all in one day?
    Sure. Why not?

Got another department buying the morning coffee break, and a couple of local vendors possibly kicking in for lunch, or whatever. Great chance to network with other departments and see some old friends.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tree68 View Post
    Sure. Why not?

Got another department buying the morning coffee break, and a couple of local vendors possibly kicking in for lunch, or whatever. Great chance to network with other departments and see some old friends.
    Nice, good idea. We're doing it in 3 trainings. Going to give it a shot. The only thing we have in addition to yours is HAZMAT awareness and bloodborne pathogens. Everything else is the same.

Forum Member

My FD does one of these all day classes on a Saturday every year. It still is just a boring as ever. The only thing that is different is some resent development and maybe a different video of response from YouTube.
    Stephen J Bourassa
    Latham FD (NY)
    member since 1969
    challenge competitor since 1993

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Fitguy51 View Post
    My FD does one of these all day classes on a Saturday every year. It still is just a boring as ever. The only thing that is different is some recent development and maybe a different video of response from YouTube.
    That's why we use a different speaker for each section - some are as dry as a popcorn f**t, but others can make it interesting. Certainly a lot better than moi droning on for 8 hours...

If there's a problem, it's often that the speakers have more to say than their allotted time will allow.

We ask attendees to fill out a critique, too. There are a few things we'll be paying attention to this year as a result of last year's comments. One issue was duplication between speakers. We'll be working hard to prevent that this year.

Our county does a series of hazmat refreshers each year, so we won't be including that. Bloodborne pathogens cn always be a part of one of the segments - while one could spend an hour on it, do you need to? (Rhetorical question).
    Last edited by tree68; 12-19-2012 at 10:24 AM.
    Rice09 likes this.

Thread Information