Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By GTRider245
  • 1 Post By Bones42

Thread: Putting on SCBA mask?

Forum Member

Default Putting on SCBA mask?

Just wondering if you guys have any tips for being able to put mask on easier with gloves like adding metal rings or something or even practicing more. I do keep the top two straps cinched down so all i have to do is tighten the bottom straps

Forum Member

Why are you putting on your facepiece wearing gloves?

Metal rings? Negative.

Practice makes perfect.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

I have always put my gloves on last; just seemed to make more sense. If you have to do it with gloves, then your only option is to practice.

Forum Member

Last 4 things....

Mask
    Helmet
    Gloves
    Regulator

Then you go....
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    Last 4 things....

Mask
    Helmet
    Gloves
    Regulator

Then you go....
    Where is your Hood Bones?! haha, but seriously. Gloves should be put on just before the regulator as bones said. Trying to pull your hood up and strap your helmet with your gloves on is too much of a waste of time.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bwalters199 View Post
    Just wondering if you guys have any tips for being able to put mask on easier with gloves like adding metal rings or something or even practicing more. I do keep the top two straps cinched down so all i have to do is tighten the bottom straps
    First of all, there is a difference is learning to don your PPE quickly AND correctly vs. just getting it on quickly (and often haphazardly) just to jump off the engine, run, at break-neck speed, and blindingly enter a building and begin squirting water.

Regarding donning your PPE, and in this case - your mask, I'd begin with getting the owner's manual that came with it and reading it. You'd be surprised how much information is in those little pamphlets that most folks throw out with the plastic-wrap when it is issued to them. They will often tell you the best way to CORRECTLY don it and tighten the straps. Most will say to don the mask like a catchers mitt. Some will say tighten the top straps first; some will say tighten the top ones last. It's all according to the design of the face mask. Scott recommends that you don the mask and tighten the bottom straps. Many times, the top ones do not even need to be used.

Another example is the waist strap. How many times do you see folks walking around with the waist strap not even connected yet they complain about the shoulder straps sliding off? Many SCBA manufacturers will instruct you to put on your SCBA, tighten the waist straps first, and then tighten the slack with the shoulder straps.

You mentioned modifying your PPE (i.e. adding metal rings to the face mask). If you do that and are injured, you run the risk of voiding any warranty regardless of whether or not it contributed to the injury. In Texas, the Texas Commission on Fire Protection reserves the right to inspect the PPE of any commission-certified Firefighter and has the authority to immediately remove from service any PPE that does not comply with TCFP standards (which mirror manufacturer's recommendations which are based on the applicable NFPA recommendations).

You answered your own question in your first sentence: practice.

Just my $0.02.
    DFW

"There's no such thing as a free lunch."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyChiefGonzo View Post
    Why are you putting on your facepiece wearing gloves?

Metal rings? Negative.

Practice makes perfect.
    There is a sweeping mindset in the fire service that you should be able to do anything on the fire ground with your gloves on. This includes masking up at the door. While I see the point of the "every second counts" mantra that goes along with this practice, I also see how donning your mask without gloves and without fumbling, then taking the 4 seconds it takes to put on your gloves could also save time depending on the person and the level of training.

IMO, if you choose to subscribe to the train of thought that you should be able to do it with gloves on, you need to practice it. I don't do it, but I do pre-tension 3 of the 4 straps on my mask so all I have to do is tighten the one strap. I personally like running a bare hand around my hood to make sure I have everything covered before my helmet goes on. A lot easier to adjust it with bare hands.

YMMV.
    FireInTheShire likes this.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

MembersZone Subscriber

Scuba divers do a drill - throw everything into the pool (except the diver and his/her bathing suit), jump in and don it. Under water.

Our FF1 classes drill repeatedly on donning everything quickly and correctly - as judged by an instructor. I think the record is around 40-45 seconds, street clothes to "on-air." More normal is a minute to a minute and a half.

Keep drilling until you can don everything in the dark. Fast. And correctly. When you can, it will all be second nature, and it will give you the confidence that you know your equipment. And that is the key, even if every donning isn't a try for a world record. If donning your equipment is second nature to you, speed won't be a problem.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Truck-10-VES View Post
    Where is your Hood Bones?!...
    I'll be honest....most times it's in the right thigh pocket of my turnout pants.
    Truck-10-VES likes this.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tree68 View Post
    If donning your equipment is second nature to you, speed won't be a problem.
    Well said.
    DFW

"There's no such thing as a free lunch."

MembersZone Subscriber

We teach our students and newbies to mask up wearing gloves. The best reason really is that you can continually function on the fireground with many tasks and then mask up without having to remove the gloves. One thing removing gloves does is allows them to be dropped, kicked or otherwise lost at the front door as members are shuffling about for entry. The key in any event is to do it the same way, those who remove gloves generally place them under the same knee, and kneel on them to ensure they're right where they were two seconds ago.

Along this line, if you know how tight the bottom straps can be to fit you facepeice on, you can pretension them a little giving you some extra strap to get a hold of.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFDACM02 View Post
    We teach our students and newbies to mask up wearing gloves. The best reason really is that you can continually function on the fireground with many tasks and then mask up without having to remove the gloves. One thing removing gloves does is allows them to be dropped, kicked or otherwise lost at the front door as members are shuffling about for entry. The key in any event is to do it the same way, those who remove gloves generally place them under the same knee, and kneel on them to ensure they're right where they were two seconds ago.

Along this line, if you know how tight the bottom straps can be to fit you facepeice on, you can pretension them a little giving you some extra strap to get a hold of.
    My gloves are attached to my coat with a velcro strap so I don't have to set them down and worry about losing them. And if it does happen, I have a second set in my bunker pants.

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm a fan of getting off the rig with my gloves on whether I'm going an auto alarm or structure fire. If you don't have your gloves on right away it's easy to get caught up in the moment and do something that you shouldn't without gloves on.

When I mask up I don't want to take my gloves off. I started practicing masking up with my gloves on, it was rough at first but I figured out some tricks that made it a lot easier. Before I put my gloves on while still in the rig I pull my hood out from being tucked in my collar, this makes it way easier to put on with gloves. I also, pre-tighten my top two straps on my mask so I only have to tighten one set of straps. It takes some time but practice will make perfect.

Forum Member

Just curious...for those that put their masks on with gloves on.....how do you do a seal check?

Forum Member

Just curious...for those that put their masks on with gloves on.....how do you do a seal check?
    With a big ol' mouthful of sooty glove smell!
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    --General James Mattis, USMC

Forum Member

Says the guy who doesn't wear his hood. I couldn't resist... must bust balls. You probably meant because you were IC or something.

I can see loads of times where you are putting on your mask after working for a bit on scene and would want to mask up with gloves on. The only thing I could add that hasn't been mentioned is that you could look for gloves with better dexterity and practice, practice, practice with them. I see the hood being more of a problem than the mask when it comes down to it.
    Nothing is as unimpressive as someone who is unwilling to learn.

Thread Information