MembersZone Subscriber

Default Supplied Air Hose Reel Carts

My department is looking at options for storage of supplied breathing air hoses (150' lengths). One of the options we've come up with was mounting hose reels to a hand truck (dolly).

Is anyone out there using something similar? Any innovative ideas other than coiling the hose up into a duffel bag?

Ride Safe,
    Dave
    David Hilliard
    Captain
    Engine & Hazmat 45
    Fort Meade Fire & Emergency Services
    Fort Meade, Maryland

Forum Member

Dave,
    we actually just went the opposite direction for a couple of reasons.

1st: our carts were dual reel carts making them pretty heavy and not really practical if you had to make an entry in an above ground location (ie tank, up catwalk ladders, etc...) they were very convenient for the easy access training and rescues however but we felt those scenarios are far and few between.

2nd: we recently made the switch to a scott saba system. the air reels we had were survivair. scott would void all warranties if we were to hook our fittings into the fittings on the reels. they said this changed the "form and function" of the system.

-mike
    My opinions posted here are my own and not representative of my employer or my IAFF local.

MembersZone Subscriber

My department is looking at options for storage of supplied breathing air hoses (150' lengths). One of the options we've come up with was mounting hose reels to a hand truck (dolly).

Is anyone out there using something similar? Any innovative ideas other than coiling the hose up into a duffel bag?

Hi Dave,

A reel seems to work fairly well and helps keep the hose from getting tangled up. To help keep things organized on the scene, prior to any rescue calls, I would suggest sliding each hose into a 150 ft length of tubular webbing using a different color for each hose. This way each rescue team member is easily identified and it makes communications easier as well.

You can also run a retrieval line inside the webbing as well. A little experimentation will let you decide whether a contained retrieval line or a separate line will work best for your needs.

Mike

Thread Information