Forum Member

Default Apartment Building VES

Quick question for the firefighters who regularly preform vent, enter, search. When you VES a room in an apartment that is adjacent to or above the fire apartment would you search the entire apartment by entering in through the window or would you limit your search to only the bedroom you entered in through? Does the size of the apartment make any difference in your answer, would you be more likely to search the entire apartment if it was smaller?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dibbs12 View Post
    Quick question for the firefighters who regularly preform vent, enter, search. When you VES a room in an apartment that is adjacent to or above the fire apartment would you search the entire apartment by entering in through the window or would you limit your search to only the bedroom you entered in through? Does the size of the apartment make any difference in your answer, would you be more likely to search the entire apartment if it was smaller?
    Search the entire apartment- remember part of doing a good search is to close doors (especially ones that can allow easy extension) such as doors leading to main hallways, etc while you search.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Room by room. New thing is VEIS. Vent, Entry, Isolate (Close doors to room), Search. then exit through window and move one. Top to bottom, then side to side.
    RIP Hela

"You have to do better then your best."
    BUD's instuctor Class 234

"A man who won't die for something is not fit to live."
    Martin Luther King, Jr

Forum Member

If it's the floor above, or an adjacent apartment on the same floor, and access absolutely CANNOT be made conventionally, then yes, I can see searching as much as possible from the vent point, remembering that you ARE venting, and that if you go beyond that initial room, you are working without the protection of a hoseline, and without the isolation that closing that room door would provide. If you're getting smoke, heat, and/or fire in that apartment, exploring the place defeats the purpose of VES by letting those things spread toward or into your entry point. It might be better to VES every room you can individually, or to bring a line in that window for extended play time.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by footrat View Post
    If it's the floor above, or an adjacent apartment on the same floor, and access absolutely CANNOT be made conventionally, then yes, I can see searching as much as possible from the vent point, remembering that you ARE venting, and that if you go beyond that initial room, you are working without the protection of a hoseline, and without the isolation that closing that room door would provide. If you're getting smoke, heat, and/or fire in that apartment, exploring the place defeats the purpose of VES by letting those things spread toward or into your entry point. It might be better to VES every room you can individually, or to bring a line in that window for extended play time.
    This.

I'd add that whether the whole apartment or just the entry room is searched largely would depend on what I see when I first secure the door from the room of entry. If it is clear then I would extend the search, especially if it is known that there is no other means of access. If conditions don't allow a search then secure the door and quickly search the room of entry. Everything that would modify your behavior should also be communicated to the IC.
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

Thread Information