Forum Member

Default Volunteers & Training

As a volunteer, will you be sent to your state's Fire Academy or opt to be sent there?

I honestly have no clue what training will be like or receiving certifications.

Let's talk fire trucks!

It depends on what state you're in. Some states send their volunteers to state academies, some have local academies, or some do it regionally. My state, for example, doesn't have a state academy, all basic training is delivered locally with moderate and advanced level training delivered regionally.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
    It depends on what state you're in. Some states send their volunteers to state academies, some have local academies, or some do it regionally. My state, for example, doesn't have a state academy, all basic training is delivered locally with moderate and advanced level training delivered regionally.
    Ah. My state has 3 training academies, so I hope I get sent to one. I found a friend of a friend who is a volunteer in my city, so hopefully he'll be able to fill me in a little.
    Thanks!

Forum Member

Depends on your department and their requirements along with state requirements

Forum Member

i am from iowa (eastern side on the mississippi) and at our dept we could go to the state fire academy, attend at one of the local (relatively speaking) community colleges that offered the same material, or go to a local station that was hosting ff1 classes with a certified instructor. i opted for the latter since i have a wife and child and job that i have obligations too. not sure how it is where you are from but that is what was available to us.

Thread Information