Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 35 FirstFirst ... 41112131415161724 ... LastLast
Results 261 to 280 of 689
Like Tree279Likes

Thread: 18 Children Dead in CT Mass Shooting

  1. #261
    Forum Member Chenzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Rural WI
    Posts
    1,225

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Catch22 View Post
    To meet code, if they lock from the outside it shouldn't take more than a twist of the knob to open from the inside. Simply leave it locked at all times if that's the case. That requires either someone with a key to open it (teacher or administrator, assumably) or to be opened from the inside. Simple, cheap, and easy way to add a step of security.

    Most schools around here already have a similar setup.
    That's how it was set up at my high school. Door was always locked, and the teacher had a key.
    "A fire department that writes off civilians faster than an express line of 6 reasons or less is not progressive, it's dangerous, because it's run by fear. Fear does not save lives, it endangers them." -- Lt. Ray McCormack FDNY

    "Because if you don't think you're good, nobody else will." -- DC Tom Laun (ret) Syracuse


  2. #262
    Forum Member FyredUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee
    Posts
    9,847

    Default

    To me the truth is that no matter how much we harden the building that alone is no guarantee that it will be enough. Elementary kids go outside for recess, they come to school in the morning, they go home at night...there are multiple opportunities to raise all kinds of havoc while the kids aren't even inside the building.

    Unless you seriously consider an armed presence of some sort on school grounds whenever children are present you are an ostrich with your head buried in the sand. It may not be the most appealing option to some of you but it is realistic.
    SPFDRum, RFDACM02 and Chenzo like this.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

  3. #263
    Forum Member Bones42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Pt. Beach, NJ
    Posts
    10,645

    Default

    If they are able to plan this whole attack and access to secured buildings....aren't they able to plan how to disable the armed security? Wouldn't that be their first target?
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

  4. #264
    Forum Member FyredUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee
    Posts
    9,847

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    If they are able to plan this whole attack and access to secured buildings....aren't they able to plan how to disable the armed security? Wouldn't that be their first target?
    And there in lies the sad truth of this whole issue...no matter what you do there will NEVER be a 100% guarantee of safety for any school, anywhere, at any time. Whether the assailant uses a gun, a car, a Molotov cocktail, a machete, or a baseball bat, if they want to commit this crime they will find a way. All we can hope is to deter most attackers...
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

  5. #265
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    SW MO
    Posts
    4,249

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chenzo View Post
    That's how it was set up at my high school. Door was always locked, and the teacher had a key.
    I actually find it a shame it's gotten to that level. When I was in school, the classroom doors were typically wide-open, as were the doors into the school. It was nothing to see a parent roaming the halls, without a visitor pass. Nearly every guy carried a pocket knife and it was no big deal.

    Hell, during hunting season we had enough guns in the cars in the parking lots to arm a couple platoons. We never even had to lock the doors to those vehicles. No one messed with someone else's stuff.

    And this wasn't that long ago- my 20 year reunion is this year.

  6. #266
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    SW MO
    Posts
    4,249

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    If they are able to plan this whole attack and access to secured buildings....aren't they able to plan how to disable the armed security? Wouldn't that be their first target?
    If they are doing that much planning, is some gun ban going to stop them from getting a gun to do the job?

  7. #267
    Forum Member MemphisE34a's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Memphis, TN - USA
    Posts
    2,493

    Default

    Am I the only one that finds it ironic the the person that started this thread is the only one that would openly admit he would not have done anything to save any of them?
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

    Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

    "Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.


    Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

  8. #268
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,089

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    The victims at the Giffords shooting tackled Loughner while he was reloading. Same with the students who were being shot by Kip Kinkel.

    Kip was only a 15 year old, and probably not very proficient, and was dyslexic. He was reloading a .22 Ruger, which probably was a lot slower to reload. If he'd been using the 9mm Glock, the kids who disarmed him probably would not have had time to do what they did.

    I can't explain the reactions of the students at Columbine. Human behavior isn't predictable.

    Columbine was planned out extensively, and they were in areas that were wide open, providing little cover.

    Once again you are falling into the trap of the perfect being the enemy of the good. Time is an enemy to an attacker in this scenario. The more time they are dealing with hardened entry points is more time for the good guys to get there and deal with them.

    True, but then you'd have to do a check of everyone coming through the doors. At somepoint, Employees and students usually have to be let inside of the building at some point in the school day.
    And a shooter does not have to be perfect, they just have to have basic proficiency to be lethal.

    Should we adopt the Israeli model?
    Specifically WHAT Israeli model are you referring too? They do have some good ones. We should definitely adopt their model for airport security, ours sucks unless terrrorist groups start recruiting handicapped children and grandma's with medical conditions.

  9. #269
    Forum Member scfire86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    HB
    Posts
    10,118

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by johnsb View Post
    Kip was only a 15 year old, and probably not very proficient, and was dyslexic. He was reloading a .22 Ruger, which probably was a lot slower to reload. If he'd been using the 9mm Glock, the kids who disarmed him probably would not have had time to do what they did.
    The kids that tackled him might have been able to do that as he attempted to replace his 10 round magazine and dropped the second one on the ground. Since so many of you like to deal in hypotheticals.

    Quote Originally Posted by johnsb View Post
    Columbine was planned out extensively, and they were in areas that were wide open, providing little cover.
    Your point? There was an armed security guard on campus.

    Quote Originally Posted by johnsb View Post
    True, but then you'd have to do a check of everyone coming through the doors. At somepoint, Employees and students usually have to be let inside of the building at some point in the school day.
    And a shooter does not have to be perfect, they just have to have basic proficiency to be lethal.
    The idea is to delay the shooter as much as possible giving responders (whether they be on campus or the local cops) time to get there. With the idea of minimizing the amount of killing that could be done.

    Quote Originally Posted by johnsb View Post
    Specifically WHAT Israeli model are you referring too? They do have some good ones. We should definitely adopt their model for airport security, ours sucks unless terrrorist groups start recruiting handicapped children and grandma's with medical conditions.
    I wasn't the one proposing the Israeli model. You'll have to ask one of those who liked their approach to gun ownership in their country.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

  10. #270
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    SW MO
    Posts
    4,249

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    Your point? There was an armed security guard on campus.
    From what I've read, the shooting had already started by the time the security guard was notified. He was outside eating his lunch when a custodian requested his assistance. After he was notified, he had to drive around the campus to where the shooting was occurring, arriving 5 minutes after the intital shot (he wasn't notified until 3 minutes into it). It should be noted he was 60 yards away and they were able to duck back into the building. At the same time, at least two people escaped while he exchanged fire with them.

    He also engaged the Klebold and Harris as they fired at him through windows for several minutes. How many escaped at that point? During that time he covered and escorted 15 students out of the line of fire of the pair.

    Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    The idea is to delay the shooter as much as possible giving responders (whether they be on campus or the local cops) time to get there. With the idea of minimizing the amount of killing that could be done.
    Seems to me that Deputy Gardner did just that. His engagement with Klebold and Harris most certainly caused a distraction and saved lives. Had he not been there, there's no telling how many more would have died.

  11. #271
    Forum Member scfire86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    HB
    Posts
    10,118

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Catch22 View Post
    From what I've read, the shooting had already started by the time the security guard was notified. He was outside eating his lunch when a custodian requested his assistance. After he was notified, he had to drive around the campus to where the shooting was occurring, arriving 5 minutes after the intital shot (he wasn't notified until 3 minutes into it). It should be noted he was 60 yards away and they were able to duck back into the building. At the same time, at least two people escaped while he exchanged fire with them.

    He also engaged the Klebold and Harris as they fired at him through windows for several minutes. How many escaped at that point? During that time he covered and escorted 15 students out of the line of fire of the pair.

    Seems to me that Deputy Gardner did just that. His engagement with Klebold and Harris most certainly caused a distraction and saved lives. Had he not been there, there's no telling how many more would have died.
    Agreed. His actions were very helpful that day.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

  12. #272
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Catch22 View Post
    No offense, but sometimes reading your posts they come off different than what you apparently intend.

    To meet code, if they lock from the outside it shouldn't take more than a twist of the knob to open from the inside. Simply leave it locked at all times if that's the case. That requires either someone with a key to open it (teacher or administrator, assumably) or to be opened from the inside. Simple, cheap, and easy way to add a step of security.

    Most schools around here already have a similar setup.
    Leaving them locked probably works pretty well for high schools. However, there is a lot of traffic in and out of classrooms in elementary schools. In addition to what seems to be constant restroom emergencies, kids are pulled out of classes for specialized reading intervention, speech, etc. The classroom teacher would be spending a lot of time opening the door for kids.

  13. #273
    Forum Member FyredUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee
    Posts
    9,847

    Default

    The truth about armed security is, just like firefighters when we are needed, in most places there will never be enough. To be serious about armed security you would need at a minimum 4 personnel in any school building, on on each side of the building so that no quadrant of the building was ever left unprotected. Those guards should be backed by someone monitoring cameras of EVERY entrance to the building so that if trouble arises a response could be initiated. The main reason that this will NEVER happen...COST. The odds of most schools ever having a violent attack like what happened in Sandy Hook make it not economically sound for school boards to spend money to harden schools or to put armed security in place.

    So then what is the answer? There isn't one, at least not with the current emotionally charged atmosphere and that is why the knee jerk BS of punishing law abiding citizens for once again OBEYING the law is not going down so smoothly this time. Punish criminals who use guns with no ability to plea bargain. Take a SERIOUS look at the mental health crisis in this country and stop pretending that it isn't a serious problem. Make it easier to put people under a 72 hour psychiatric hold if they show irratic or psychotic, violent behavior. Actually do evaluations instead of drugging people, giving them meds and DUMPING them back into society again so they can get in trouble again. ANSWERS that may actually have an impact, instead of feel good do nothing nonsense.

    I know that this is not what the anti-gun, or anti-certain types of guns, or anti-high capacity magazine, crowd wants to hear. Too bad, their solutions will do nothing, fix nothing, and the same issues will arise over and over and over until someone goes "Hey, take away all the guns and the problem will go away." Nice try dumb azz, once again the criminals will of course line up willingly to turn in their guns for a McDonald's gift certificate. YEAH, sure they will. I am just amazed at he utter naivety of this crowd...Seriously, how does restricting the rights of law abiding citizens solve a crime and mental health problem?
    Chenzo likes this.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

  14. #274
    Forum Member scfire86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    HB
    Posts
    10,118

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Catch22 View Post
    No offense, but sometimes reading your posts they come off different than what you apparently intend.

    To meet code, if they lock from the outside it shouldn't take more than a twist of the knob to open from the inside. Simply leave it locked at all times if that's the case. That requires either someone with a key to open it (teacher or administrator, assumably) or to be opened from the inside. Simple, cheap, and easy way to add a step of security.

    Most schools around here already have a similar setup.
    Quote Originally Posted by tbzep View Post
    Leaving them locked probably works pretty well for high schools. However, there is a lot of traffic in and out of classrooms in elementary schools. In addition to what seems to be constant restroom emergencies, kids are pulled out of classes for specialized reading intervention, speech, etc. The classroom teacher would be spending a lot of time opening the door for kids.
    Nothing personal. This is the least of the issue. The technology exists to lock the doors from the inside and be able to gain access from the authorized individuals if those inside lock the door.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

  15. #275
    Forum Member scfire86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    HB
    Posts
    10,118

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    I know that this is not what the anti-gun, or anti-certain types of guns, or anti-high capacity magazine, crowd wants to hear. Too bad, their solutions will do nothing, fix nothing, and the same issues will arise over and over and over until someone goes "Hey, take away all the guns and the problem will go away." Nice try dumb azz, once again the criminals will of course line up willingly to turn in their guns for a McDonald's gift certificate. YEAH, sure they will. I am just amazed at he utter naivety of this crowd...Seriously, how does restricting the rights of law abiding citizens solve a crime and mental health problem?
    Other countries have managed to allow its citizens the right to bear arms while placing restrictions. The US is unique seems to be unique in its occurrence of frequent mass shootings at educational institutions. Saying that more regulations is pointless is an equally misguided statement as saying we should all be armed all the time.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

  16. #276
    Forum Member FyredUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee
    Posts
    9,847

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    Other countries have managed to allow its citizens the right to bear arms while placing restrictions. The US is unique seems to be unique in its occurrence of frequent mass shootings at educational institutions. Saying that more regulations is pointless is an equally misguided statement as saying we should all be armed all the time.
    Look the simple truth is you have not offered a single solution directed at criminals or the mentally ill. Your answers do nothing put restrict law abiding citizens that have violated no laws with their legally owned firearms and accessories. That is how these things always get handled, emotional, knee jerk reactions that do nothing but restrict the rights of law abiding citizens.

    Imagine the shock and surprise of that crowd when it happens again when all of the nonsensical feel good BS laws don't work. The criminals go unchecked and the mentally ill go untreated. Yepper, all will be right with the world because those that never did a damn thing wrong are further restricted. Pathetically sad how delusional that thought process is.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

  17. #277
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Bossier Parrish, Louisiana
    Posts
    10,527

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MemphisE34a View Post
    Am I the only one that finds it ironic the the person that started this thread is the only one that would openly admit he would not have done anything to save any of them?
    Nice.

    And exactly what does that have to do with the current discussion?
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

  18. #278
    Forum Member FyredUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee
    Posts
    9,847

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    Nice.

    And exactly what does that have to do with the current discussion?
    Seriously Dude, if you were a fish the hook would be set so deep in you that when the fisherman gave the line a yank it would turn you inside out.

    You just have to let some of this crap go, otherwise it will go on and on and on.

    If I were you I would only listen when I tear into you because it is obvious that I am the only one that knows anything!!
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

  19. #279
    Truckie SPFDRum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 1999
    Location
    St Paul, MN
    Posts
    2,513

    Default

    It really has nothing to do with the size of the clip, whether the gun is semi-automatic, or even if is dressed up to look "military" like. It has everything to do with your core belief: you believe that the human is ultimately responsible or its the fault of an inanimate object, the gun.
    If you believe its the human,you look deeply into the mental health aspect and failure, you profile those that display the well documented social symptoms, you train the educators to identify the known indicators, you focus your energy on the human and THEIR access to guns.
    If you believe its the intimate object, the gun, you do things like try to ban certain types, regulate the number of rounds they hold, limit their outward appearance, completely ignoring the fact that none of these can or will work with out something or someone operating them. You take no time or effort to isolate the problem and solve that. It's easier to punish all.
    FyredUp and Chenzo like this.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

  20. #280
    Truckie SPFDRum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 1999
    Location
    St Paul, MN
    Posts
    2,513

    Default

    Name:  ATT00365.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  30.7 KB

    Even has a reference to search......
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Shooting is West Palm Beach leaves firefighter, gunman dead.
    By SouthFlaHopeful in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-04-2008, 05:54 AM
  2. At least 2 dead in Kansas City mall shooting
    By RspctFrmCalgary in forum The Off Duty Forums
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-30-2007, 11:06 AM
  3. India-At Least 100 children dead
    By NJFFSA16 in forum Fire Wire
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-16-2004, 05:08 AM
  4. Children that cheered dead Americans
    By Waterboy620 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 09-12-2003, 05:01 PM
  5. Haysville, KS - 2 children dead
    By NJFFSA16 in forum Fire Wire
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-22-2002, 03:38 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts