Like Tree279Likes

Thread: 18 Children Dead in CT Mass Shooting

  1. #326
    Forum Member
    FyredUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee
    Posts
    10,115

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    The biggest issue I have with the "arm everybody" rationale is that it falls apart when it is applied to other situations where an unarmed person (doing nothing but walking down the street) was confronted gunned down by someone carrying a gun.

    The NRA took the side of the armed individual claiming to be "standing their ground."
    How about you use details and facts instead of laying in the shadows only giving out half of the information? You are speaking of the Travon Martin incident. Which by the way hasn't gone to trial yet. To me there seems to be a lot of conflicting information regarding that incident. One being why did Goerge Zimmerman get involved personally at all. Secondly, the wide spread lack of coverage showing that Zimmerman was injured in a fight that ensued between himself and Travon Martin. Unlike you however, I will wait for the results of the trial to pass final judgment on who was wrong or right in this incident.

    How about you just be open with the "Facts" you try to use instead of only giving bits and pieces of the story?

    Okay next...give me another example where the armed citizen was convicted of a crime in similar circumstances...I'll wait.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

  2. #327
    Forum Member
    scfire86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    HB
    Posts
    10,251

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    How about you use details and facts instead of laying in the shadows only giving out half of the information?
    I'm glad you deduced the event that I describe.

    Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    You are speaking of the Travon Martin incident. Which by the way hasn't gone to trial yet.
    That is true.

    Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    To me there seems to be a lot of conflicting information regarding that incident. One being why did Goerge Zimmerman get involved personally at all.
    Agreed.

    Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Secondly, the wide spread lack of coverage showing that Zimmerman was injured in a fight that ensued between himself and Travon Martin. Unlike you however, I will wait for the results of the trial to pass final judgment on who was wrong or right in this incident.
    A fight Zimmerman initiated after being told by the 911 operator to not get out of his car and confront Martin.

    Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Okay next...give me another example where the armed citizen was convicted of a crime in similar circumstances...I'll wait.
    Not the point. The point is that Martin wasn't doing anything wrong other than walking down the street when he was confronted by Zimmerman and shot to death. Yet no one in the NRA or its supporters started clamoring that Martin should have been also been carrying a firearm to protect himself from the confrontation of a complete stranger.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

  3. #328
    Forum Member
    FyredUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee
    Posts
    10,115

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    I'm glad you deduced the event that I describe.

    Funny that I OPENLY stated what case you were talking about and you chose to play games.


    That is true.

    Yet you have become judge, jury, and executioner...so much for innocent until proven guilty. I believe that is still how our legal system works.


    Agreed.

    Yet you have decided who is guilty. Interesting, considering initially LOCAL police found no reason to charge him and many would say media hype forced the feds hand. Again, I have many questions about the entire incident, including why Zimmerman got personally involved past making a phone call. But once he did a confrontation ensued and we will probably never really know what happened at that point. There is however evidence to show Zimmerman was injured during a fight.


    A fight Zimmerman initiated after being told by the 911 operator to not get out of his car and confront Martin.

    I don't disagree that Zimmerman overstepped his bounds as a neighborhood watch member. The tenants of that organization say to not get physically invlved with suspicious people but to observe and call the police. What actually happened when he confronted Travon martin is still a mystery. Who threw the first punch, and what follwed up to the gunshot is unknown. I believe though that we need to wait for the evidence that comes oout in the trial.


    Not the point. The point is that Martin wasn't doing anything wrong other than walking down the street when he was confronted by Zimmerman and shot to death. Yet no one in the NRA or its supporters started clamoring that Martin should have been also been carrying a firearm to protect himself from the confrontation of a complete stranger.

    Though there are reports he was standing next to houses off the sidewalk.

    Again, I don't claim to have the answers. Therefore I will not be the Judge, Jury and Executioner you have decided you can be. I will wait for the evidence and the trial to play out before I make my judgement.
    Man it has to chafe you to think you can pull the kind of crap you tried here with only letting out the facts you deem crucial to your point of view and BOOM! get caught at it. Stop playing stupid games. By the wayI am still waiting for you to provide other examples...
    Last edited by FyredUp; 01-09-2013 at 01:59 PM.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

  4. #329
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Bossier Parrish, Louisiana
    Posts
    10,611

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    The biggest issue I have with the "arm everybody" rationale is that it falls apart when it is applied to other situations where an unarmed person (doing nothing but walking down the street) was confronted gunned down by someone carrying a gun.

    The NRA took the side of the armed individual claiming to be "standing their ground."
    Intertesting that you seemingly referrng to as case that has yet to go to trial, and we yet to find out if that person that you refer as "doing nothing but walking down the street" was in fact, simply doing that, I would be careful about using that as an example as to why folks shouldn't be armed.

    But i guess most liberals have already assumed the "shooters" guilt in that one.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

  5. #330
    Forum Member
    scfire86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    HB
    Posts
    10,251

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Yet you have become judge, jury, and executioner...so much for innocent until proven guilty. I believe that is still how our legal system works.
    Please show me where I said Zimmerman was guilty of anything. The point I was making has nothing to do with the case against Zimmerman.

    Yet you have decided who is guilty. Interesting, considering initially LOCAL police found no reason to charge him and many would say media hype forced the feds hand. Again, I have many questions about the entire incident, including why Zimmerman got personally involved past making a phone call. But once he did a confrontation ensued and we will probably never really know what happened at that point. There is however evidence to show Zimmerman was injured during a fight.
    I haven't stated he was guilty of anything criminal. Yes, there is evidence he was injured during a fight. A fight that he initiated. His supporters want to ignore that fact. He was the one who originated the assault. That much is known by the 911 calls and directions he was receiving from the 911 dispatchers.

    I don't disagree that Zimmerman overstepped his bounds as a neighborhood watch member. The tenants of that organization say to not get physically invlved with suspicious people but to observe and call the police. What actually happened when he confronted Travon martin is still a mystery. Who threw the first punch, and what follwed up to the gunshot is unknown. I believe though that we need to wait for the evidence that comes oout in the trial.
    See above response and what we do know over who initiated the confrontation.

    Though there are reports he was standing next to houses off the sidewalk.
    And? Is that now illegal? Were any of those property owners complaining?

    Again, I don't claim to have the answers. Therefore I will not be the Judge, Jury and Executioner you have decided you can be. I will wait for the evidence and the trial to play out before I make my judgement.
    Yet I have said no such thing regarding Zimmerman's guilt or innocence.

    Man it has to chafe you to think you can pull the kind of crap you tried here with only letting out the facts you deem crucial to your point of view and BOOM! get caught at it. Stop playing stupid games. By the wayI am still waiting for you to provide other examples...
    I have provided the relevant facts to the point I was making. You are attempting to deflect it into another arena by trying to make others I believe that Zimmerman is guilty before he has gone through the system.
    Once again, the point I was making is there was no outcry from anyone about how African American youths should all be armed to protect themselves from overzealous vigilantes to the extent there has been over arming teachers after the incident at Sandy Hook.

    Please try to stick to the points that are being made and not the ones you attempt to twist it into to fit your narrative.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

  6. #331
    Truckie
    SPFDRum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 1999
    Location
    St Paul, MN
    Posts
    2,516

    Default

    Funny how the Travon Martin comes up as the example of how armed America will be nothing but a slaughter house. Especially considering all the facts have to come to light, nor has judgment been made. Completely neglecting the reported defensive wounds, on Zimmerman or the point he was getting back into his vehicle when the confrontation occurred. Yet absolutely nothing is said of the hundreds of times crime, including rape and murder, is prevented or ended by legal gun owners throughout the year. Just this week as a matter of fact.
    Another fact, every mass casualty shooting in the US since the late '70's, save the Giffords' incident, has occurred where guns where banned to begin with. So the question I pose to those siding with a ban and/or severe restrictions such as magazine size, what makes you think the perpetrator will follow those rules?
    They have already proven a knack to ignore the number of rules already in place...
    My theory, the gun owner has proven over and over to be an upstanding, law abiding citizen. Much easier to impose tyranny and the rule of law on those already in the habit of following them. Instant feel good results ending with a "hey look what we did!"
    Chenzo likes this.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

  7. #332
    Forum Member
    scfire86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    HB
    Posts
    10,251

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SPFDRum View Post
    Funny how the Travon Martin comes up as the example of how armed America will be nothing but a slaughter house. Especially considering all the facts have to come to light, nor has judgment been made. Completely neglecting the reported defensive wounds, on Zimmerman or the point he was getting back into his vehicle when the confrontation occurred.
    My point has nothing to do with Zimmerman's guilt or innocence. It has to do with the reaction to the incident and whether or not Martin should have been armed to protect himself from someone who initiated a confrontation.

    Quote Originally Posted by SPFDRum View Post
    Yet absolutely nothing is said of the hundreds of times crime, including rape and murder, is prevented or ended by legal gun owners throughout the year. Just this week as a matter of fact.
    I don't doubt those incidents do happen. However, statistics also show that one is more likely to be injured by one's own firearm in one's house than to use it in a defensive situation.

    Quote Originally Posted by SPFDRum View Post
    Another fact, every mass casualty shooting in the US since the late '70's, save the Giffords' incident, has occurred where guns where banned to begin with. So the question I pose to those siding with a ban and/or severe restrictions such as magazine size, what makes you think the perpetrator will follow those rules?
    If I apply that logic to other crimes, we should abolish all DUI laws since people still drink and drive.

    Quote Originally Posted by SPFDRum View Post
    They have already proven a knack to ignore the number of rules already in place...
    My theory, the gun owner has proven over and over to be an upstanding, law abiding citizen. Much easier to impose tyranny and the rule of law on those already in the habit of following them. Instant feel good results ending with a "hey look what we did!"
    See above response. I guess you must subscribe to the theory if one fails they should just quit and not bother trying again to address the issue.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

  8. #333
    Truckie
    SPFDRum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 1999
    Location
    St Paul, MN
    Posts
    2,516

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    My point has nothing to do with Zimmerman's guilt or innocence. It has to do with the reaction to the incident and whether or not Martin should have been armed to protect himself from someone who initiated a confrontation.
    You are stating that Zimmerman initiated the incident. Of what proof do you have of that?

    I don't doubt those incidents do happen. However, statistics also show that one is more likely to be injured by one's own firearm in one's house than to use it in a defensive situation.
    And statistics from the FBI state that knives murdered 1,694 people in 2011 vs. 323 rifles of any type, including the "assault rifle". But if you injure yourself, how does fit into the discussion of psychos murdering others?

    If I apply that logic to other crimes, we should abolish all DUI laws since people still drink and drive.
    No, to make that comparison, I would have to be in favor of banning the automobile outright, banning certain types, restricting the number you own, how it is dressed up, or how much it weights.

    See above response.
    I guess you must subscribe to the theory if one fails they should just quit and not bother trying again to address the issue.
    No, had you been following my posts, you would see I have stated in numerous threads exactly what I subscribe, and what my views are on addressing the issues.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

  9. #334
    Forum Member
    scfire86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    HB
    Posts
    10,251

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SPFDRum View Post
    You are stating that Zimmerman initiated the incident. Of what proof do you have of that?
    The fact that he was driving in a car, stopped, and exited the vehicle when he was told to not confront Martin by a 911 dispatcher. At some point in time he was being injured by Martin and pulled out a gun and shot him. There has yet to be any proof put forth anything from Zimmerman or his defense that Martin was doing anything wrong.

    And statistics from the FBI state that knives murdered 1,694 people in 2011 vs. 323 rifles of any type, including the "assault rifle". But if you injure yourself, how does fit into the discussion of psychos murdering others?
    Not a valid comparison. If someone attacks me with a knife, my ability to avoid the attack is far greater than when when one is being shot at multiple times with a semi-auto or full-auto firearm. I can see a knife that is being used or thrown at me. Until we all develop the powers of Neo, One cannot see bullets in flight

    No, to make that comparison, I would have to be in favor of banning the automobile outright, banning certain types, restricting the number you own, how it is dressed up, or how much it weights.
    And there are certain types of automobiles one is not allowed to drive on the street. Formula 1 or NASCAR types being an example.

    No, had you been following my posts, you would see I have stated in numerous threads exactly what I subscribe, and what my views are on addressing the issues.
    Which doesn't change my premise on the difference in reaction by those who believe the answer to dealing with bad guys carrying guns is for them to be confronted by good guys carrying guns.
    Like FUp. You are attempting to deflect my point.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

  10. #335
    Truckie
    SPFDRum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 1999
    Location
    St Paul, MN
    Posts
    2,516

    Default

    And you have yet to make a point.

    Zimmerman: Who is to say that he confronted Martin? Maybe he was ambushed at his car when he was trying to leave? You have any proof to the contrary?

    As far as a knife, you must be Joe Ninja. If defending yourself from a knife attack was so easy, I guess it wouldn't be the number one murder weapon.

    Very valid comparison: Even more valid by your points; yes I am not able to drive a formula 1 car on the interstate, nor am I allowed to own a machine gun. You said it would be like erasing all DUI laws, my posts have been to enforce the current laws in place, even expanding them to include mental health.

    As far as bad guys with guns confronting good guys with guns, if that's bad, why is it so successful?

    Even you can't be so naive to see that increased gun restrictions or bans are that successful. If that where the case, New York and Chicago would be gun crime free. That's just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to crime statistics and gun ownership.

    So I ask, what is your point?
    Show me statistics that prove increased gun restrictions and/or bans have had a corresponding drop in violent crime?
    Show me statistics that in states where they have enacted conceal/carry and even those with castle doctrine have had an increase of carnage and innocent people being killed by legal gun owners.
    Show me a statistic that shows and increase in violent crime in states that have adopted conceal/carry and even castle doctrine.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

  11. #336
    Forum Member
    Bones42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Pt. Beach, NJ
    Posts
    10,689

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SPFDRum View Post
    ...
    I've suggested making mental health records open for review.
    I've suggested putting more responsibility on the purchaser to prove med compliance associated with above.
    I've suggested adding any misdemeanor of a violent or stalking nature backgroundable, including those that have been plea bargined.
    ...
    All good suggestions.


    What else? How about some reference checks....employment checks, family/friend/relative/etc. Fingerprint search. Not against a financial background check either.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

  12. #337
    Forum Member
    FyredUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee
    Posts
    10,115

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post

    Please show me where I said Zimmerman was guilty of anything. The point I was making has nothing to do with the case against Zimmerman.

    Did you say the words Zimmerman was guilty? No, you didn't say those words directly. But the following post by you leaves no doubt what you believe.

    The biggest issue I have with the "arm everybody" rationale is that it falls apart when it is applied to other situations where an unarmed person (doing nothing but walking down the street) was confronted gunned down by someone carrying a gun.

    I haven't stated he was guilty of anything criminal. Yes, there is evidence he was injured during a fight. A fight that he initiated. His supporters want to ignore that fact. He was the one who originated the assault. That much is known by the 911 calls and directions he was receiving from the 911 dispatchers.

    I agree that Zimmerman overstepped his bounds by going up to Travon. Do we know whether Zimmerman or Martin initiated physical contact? NO, we don't. You assume that Zimmerman physically assaulted Martin, I assume no such thing. It is however just as plausible that Zimmerman did confront Martin and ask him what he was doing in the neighborhood. The big question is did Martin attack Zimmerman, or did Zimmerman initiate a physical confrontation? I don't know the answer to that, and neither do you. WORDS alone are no reason for a physical confrontation from either of them.

    See above response and what we do know over who initiated the confrontation.

    Again all we know for sure is Zimmerman went up to Martin. Do we know for sure what transpired up to the shooting? No we don't. if Zimmerman walked up to Martin and asked him what he was doing in the neighborhood that is not a physical confrontation. You see I will wait and ee what the court has to say instead of convicting Zimmerman before the trial.
    Believe me, I have questioned Zimmerman's actions during this entire tragic event. But I am not prepared to use phrases like "gunned down" to over sensationalize this incident, or to presume anyone guilty.


    And? Is that now illegal? Were any of those property owners complaining?

    Actually, it IS illegal. It's called trespassing and that is against the law. As for the neighbors complaining, perhaps none of them was aware he was there. I can't help but laugh at your idiotic question "Is that illegal" even you have to know how ridiculous that question is...You have no right to be on another person's property without their permission.

    I can tell you with 100% certainty if someone is next to my house, without my permission the police will be called, I will be armed, and that person will be questioned by me as to why they are on my property. It is MY property and NO ONE has the right to be on my property without my permission. Especially if it is after dark. I live in a VERY rural area and anyone up by my house at that time of night is not there because they are out for a moonlight stroll.



    Yet I have said no such thing regarding Zimmerman's guilt or innocence.

    You implied his guilt by the phrase "gunned down." More game playing by you.


    I have provided the relevant facts to the point I was making. You are attempting to deflect it into another arena by trying to make others I believe that Zimmerman is guilty before he has gone through the system.

    Nope, you diverted to an unrelated shooting incident that has absolutely nothing to do with your assault weapon, high capacity magaine crusade. Then to top that you played the race card. Pathetic.




    Once again, the point I was making is there was no outcry from anyone about how African American youths should all be armed to protect themselves from overzealous vigilantes to the extent there has been over arming teachers after the incident at Sandy Hook.

    Your final admission you have nothing to defend ridiculous premise after ridiculous premise after ridiculous premise....Play the race card. Excellent liberal ploy, when losing divert it into a racial issue. I haven't seen anyone anywhere turn this into a race issue but YOU. Frankly, I would like to see ALL law abiding citizens armed, no matter what their race, sex, religion or creed. To me it is an issue of law abiding citizens protecting themselves and nothing more.

    I understand though why you diverted it into a race issue though and from the Sandy Hook tragedy into a the Travon Martin issue. You couldn't support your stance otherwise so you had to divert into another contentious, unresolved issue.


    Please try to stick to the points that are being made and not the ones you attempt to twist it into to fit your narrative.

    It is funny YOU would accuse anyone of twisting anything since you haven't been able to stay on topicor even define what yu actually are talking about since your first post. Now spinning off into a totally unrelated incident and palying the race card make you the master of the twist.
    Pathetic, absolutely pathetic.
    Last edited by FyredUp; 01-09-2013 at 11:18 PM.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

  13. #338
    Forum Member
    Bones42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Pt. Beach, NJ
    Posts
    10,689

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    ...
    Sorry to offend your tender sensibilities but I FOLLOWED THE LAW when I made my purchase. It seems even following the law, to the letter, isn't enough for some of you.
    Sorry to offend your belief that NCIC is adequate. NCIC only tells a small part of someone's life/personality/etc. I'd think responsible gun owners would be fine with a more thorough check.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

  14. #339
    Forum Member
    FyredUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee
    Posts
    10,115

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    Sorry to offend your belief that NCIC is adequate. NCIC only tells a small part of someone's life/personality/etc. I'd think responsible gun owners would be fine with a more thorough check.
    Your opinion is completely invalid. WHY? Because I met the LETTER OF THE LAW when I made that purchase. If you feel that the background check, which is a criminal history, is inadequate maybe you should speak to your legislators about it. But to attempt to chastise me for FOLLOWING THE LAW makes you look ridiculous.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

  15. #340
    Forum Member
    scfire86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    HB
    Posts
    10,251

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Did you say the words Zimmerman was guilty? No, you didn't say those words directly. But the following post by you leaves no doubt what you believe.
    We do know that Martin was gunned down by Zimmerman. Zimmerman has admitted shooting him. You continue to read more into what I've written versus what is actually there.

    I agree that Zimmerman overstepped his bounds by going up to Travon. Do we know whether Zimmerman or Martin initiated physical contact? NO, we don't. You assume that Zimmerman physically assaulted Martin, I assume no such thing. It is however just as plausible that Zimmerman did confront Martin and ask him what he was doing in the neighborhood. The big question is did Martin attack Zimmerman, or did Zimmerman initiate a physical confrontation? I don't know the answer to that, and neither do you. WORDS alone are no reason for a physical confrontation from either of them.
    We do know that Zimmerman initiated contact with Martin purposely while carrying a firearm. That much is known fact.

    Again all we know for sure is Zimmerman went up to Martin. Do we know for sure what transpired up to the shooting? No we don't. if Zimmerman walked up to Martin and asked him what he was doing in the neighborhood that is not a physical confrontation. You see I will wait and ee what the court has to say instead of convicting Zimmerman before the trial.
    You assume that Martin had an obligation to respond to Zimmerman. He did not.

    Believe me, I have questioned Zimmerman's actions during this entire tragic event. But I am not prepared to use phrases like "gunned down" to over sensationalize this incident, or to presume anyone guilty.
    But that is exactly what happened to Martin. We do know he didn't shoot himself.

    Actually, it IS illegal. It's called trespassing and that is against the law. As for the neighbors complaining, perhaps none of them was aware he was there. I can't help but laugh at your idiotic question "Is that illegal" even you have to know how ridiculous that question is...You have no right to be on another person's property without their permission.
    You must assume that Martin didn't have permission or that the homeowners desired Zimmerman to protect them in that manner.

    I can tell you with 100% certainty if someone is next to my house, without my permission the police will be called, I will be armed, and that person will be questioned by me as to why they are on my property. It is MY property and NO ONE has the right to be on my property without my permission. Especially if it is after dark. I live in a VERY rural area and anyone up by my house at that time of night is not there because they are out for a moonlight stroll.
    As well you should call them and confront them. Martin was not in someone's home and we don't know if he was standing in someone else's yard without permission. By your own standard Zimmerman fails this test. The shooting take place around 7p. Hardly near midnight.

    You implied his guilt by the phrase "gunned down." More game playing by you.
    Sorry if you don't like the term. That is precisely what happened.

    Your final admission you have nothing to defend ridiculous premise after ridiculous premise after ridiculous premise....Play the race card. Excellent liberal ploy, when losing divert it into a racial issue. I haven't seen anyone anywhere turn this into a race issue but YOU. Frankly, I would like to see ALL law abiding citizens armed, no matter what their race, sex, religion or creed. To me it is an issue of law abiding citizens protecting themselves and nothing more.
    I only pointed out the inconsistencies of the positions of those who believe that arming everyone will make us safer. Somehow an unarmed person being shot by an armed person didn't get the same response as other circumstances when different ethnic groups were involved.

    I understand though why you diverted it into a race issue though and from the Sandy Hook tragedy into a the Travon Martin issue. You couldn't support your stance otherwise so you had to divert into another contentious, unresolved issue.
    You clearly do not since I was making a completely different point which you would like to claim is irrelevant.

    It is funny YOU would accuse anyone of twisting anything since you haven't been able to stay on topicor even define what yu actually are talking about since your first post. Now spinning off into a totally unrelated incident and palying the race card make you the master of the twist.
    It's even funnier how you continue to twist an issue that reveals the inconsistencies in your position.

    Pathetic, absolutely pathetic.
    Funny, absolutely hi-freaking-sterical
    Please continue with your continued revealing that your position shifts like a windsock in a cyclone.
    Last edited by scfire86; 01-10-2013 at 12:42 AM.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

  16. #341
    Forum Member
    FyredUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee
    Posts
    10,115

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    Please continue with your continued revealing that your position shifts like a windsock in a cyclone.
    Wrong again. I didn't divert into a completely unrelated incident that has nothing to do with a mass shooting incident. I didn't play the race card. I have stayed 100% on topic. I have proven repeatedly that you can't even identify PROPERLY the firearm supposedly used by the Sandy Hook shooter. Which depending on which media source you listen to was 2 pistols, or 2 pistols and an AR type rifle, or the AR type rifle was found in the trunk of his car and never went into the building. I have offered viable solutions to the problem of guns being used in crimes, I offered solutions to the mental health issue. All you have done is make up fanciful stories, lie, not know the proper nomenclature for the firearms you wish to discuss, and your crowning glory...Play the race card. Even made more ludicrous since race has absolutely NOTHING to do with the Sandy Hook incident, the shooter was white and so were the victims. Gosh, tell me again who is shifting in the wind trying to cover both their complete incompetence and inability to discuss the topic factually...Never mind, I and most others here know that it is YOU.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

  17. #342
    Truckie
    SPFDRum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 1999
    Location
    St Paul, MN
    Posts
    2,516

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    All good suggestions.


    What else? How about some reference checks
    A definite possibility, but who do you ask: ex-wife, ex-boss, disgruntled neighbor?
    ....employment checks,
    What if retired or lives in a rural area? Many move to Alaska to get off the grid, but I would argue a gun is as essnetial there as toilet paper.
    family/friend/relative/etc. Fingerprint search. Not against a financial background check either.
    Again I use the rural setting and/or Alaska as an example. From the mass shootings, a financial background check would limit those of affluence and upper middle class.
    We also need to add mandatory sentencing to those that use a weapon in the commission of a crime. No plea bargaining.

    I like what this guy is saying:
    http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2013/...d-narcissists/
    RFDACM02 likes this.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

  18. #343
    Forum Member
    scfire86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    HB
    Posts
    10,251

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Wrong again. I didn't divert into a completely unrelated incident that has nothing to do with a mass shooting incident. I didn't play the race card. I have stayed 100% on topic. I have proven repeatedly that you can't even identify PROPERLY the firearm supposedly used by the Sandy Hook shooter. Which depending on which media source you listen to was 2 pistols, or 2 pistols and an AR type rifle, or the AR type rifle was found in the trunk of his car and never went into the building. I have offered viable solutions to the problem of guns being used in crimes, I offered solutions to the mental health issue. All you have done is make up fanciful stories, lie, not know the proper nomenclature for the firearms you wish to discuss, and your crowning glory...Play the race card. Even made more ludicrous since race has absolutely NOTHING to do with the Sandy Hook incident, the shooter was white and so were the victims. Gosh, tell me again who is shifting in the wind trying to cover both their complete incompetence and inability to discuss the topic factually...Never mind, I and most others here know that it is YOU.
    Your demand for exact nomenclature has already been discussed ad infinitum. The point you are trying to avoid is the difference in reaction to the shootings in both incidents.

    In both incidents we have an unarmed individual(s) being shot to death by an armed individual. In one instance the NRA and its followers are wanting us to believe that arming the unarmed individual is the solution to saving lives. In the other instance there is no mention of support of arming the unarmed individual against an armed individual that provoked a confrontation. Which we know from the 911 transcript from Zimmerman's own words. He states to the dispatcher that he is following Martin. The dispatcher replies that is not necessary and that an officer is on the way. Yet Zimmerman continues. We also know there was no indication that Martin was involved in any criminal activity (via the police report) and that Martin had no previous criminal record. We do know there was no concern that African American youths should start arming themselves for protection against overzealous vigilantes. You claim I'm throwing down the race card. Tell us why there is no one from the NRA supporting a position that Martin should have been armed given the facts as we presently know them. I don't expect you to know given that you don't work there. However, the appearance is the NRA is significantly biased in how it believes the issue of gun ownership should be a solution to protect one's self.

    Please proceed with pedantic firearm nomenclature that is not relevant to the topic.
    Last edited by scfire86; 01-10-2013 at 09:02 AM.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

  19. #344
    Forum Member
    Bones42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Pt. Beach, NJ
    Posts
    10,689

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Your opinion is completely invalid. WHY? Because I met the LETTER OF THE LAW when I made that purchase. If you feel that the background check, which is a criminal history, is inadequate maybe you should speak to your legislators about it. But to attempt to chastise me for FOLLOWING THE LAW makes you look ridiculous.
    Attempt to chastise you? Ok, if you think so. Maybe you are getting a little unhinged here.

    I am just surprised you feel that is a thorough enough background check.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

  20. #345
    Forum Member
    Bones42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Pt. Beach, NJ
    Posts
    10,689

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SPFDRum View Post
    What else? How about some reference checks
    A definite possibility, but who do you ask: ex-wife, ex-boss, disgruntled neighbor?
    ....employment checks,
    What if retired or lives in a rural area? Many move to Alaska to get off the grid, but I would argue a gun is as essnetial there as toilet paper.
    family/friend/relative/etc. Fingerprint search. Not against a financial background check either.
    Again I use the rural setting and/or Alaska as an example. From the mass shootings, a financial background check would limit those of affluence and upper middle class.

    We also need to add mandatory sentencing to those that use a weapon in the commission of a crime. No plea bargaining.
    All very valid concerns, and I will agree there would need to be some fine tuning. As for the financial check, not saying only those with money be Ok'd but if someone recently claimed bankruptcy or similar....may raise a flag on why they all of sudden want a gun. You know, kind of that "get the whole picture" type of check.

    I also agree on the mandatory sentencing.


    I am a volunteer coach for my school district. I go through more of a background check than apparently what is needed to buy a gun at a gun show. I think that's a problem.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

  21. #346
    Forum Member
    FyredUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee
    Posts
    10,115

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    Attempt to chastise you? Ok, if you think so. Maybe you are getting a little unhinged here.

    I am just surprised you feel that is a thorough enough background check.
    I followed the law, completely and 100%. You aren't happy with the procedure. Not my fault. With my CLEAN record I was able to purchase a firearm following all the legal steps to do so.

    Actually, I believe a criminal background check is the best way to do a background check. We have no way at present to do a mental health check. As far as what neighbors, family members, or my employer thinks, I see a chance for anti-gun zealots to prevent people fom getting guns. It is simply not an objective way to determine someone's fitness for gun ownership.

    Again, my point is I did everything according to the law and you still aren't happy...
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

  22. #347
    Forum Member
    FyredUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee
    Posts
    10,115

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    Your demand for exact nomenclature has already been discussed ad infinitum. The point you are trying to avoid is the difference in reaction to the shootings in both incidents.

    In both incidents we have an unarmed individual(s) being shot to death by an armed individual. In one instance the NRA and its followers are wanting us to believe that arming the unarmed individual is the solution to saving lives. In the other instance there is no mention of support of arming the unarmed individual against an armed individual that provoked a confrontation. Which we know from the 911 transcript from Zimmerman's own words. He states to the dispatcher that he is following Martin. The dispatcher replies that is not necessary and that an officer is on the way. Yet Zimmerman continues. We also know there was no indication that Martin was involved in any criminal activity (via the police report) and that Martin had no previous criminal record. We do know there was no concern that African American youths should start arming themselves for protection against overzealous vigilantes. You claim I'm throwing down the race card. Tell us why there is no one from the NRA supporting a position that Martin should have been armed given the facts as we presently know them. I don't expect you to know given that you don't work there. However, the appearance is the NRA is significantly biased in how it believes the issue of gun ownership should be a solution to protect one's self.

    Please proceed with pedantic firearm nomenclature that is not relevant to the topic.
    Your posting style reminds me of what Patches O'Houlihan tells the Average Joe's gym Dodgeball Team "Dodge, duck, dip, dive and Dodge." You haven't remained on topic since the beginning of this topic. Now the Travon Martin incident that has absolutely not one single thing to do with this incident is your latest nonsenseical diversion.

    Let's do a comparison between the 2 shall we?

    Sandy Hook shooting the weapons were stolen, Zimmerman legally owned the guy he used.

    Sandy Hook was a horrific mass murder perpetrated by a mentally ill individual, Zimmerman claims self defense in a shooting of a single individual. Side note, you have declared Zimmerman "Gunned Down" Martin, I prefer to wait and see what the results of the trial are since I wasn't there and don't know for sure what actually transpired.

    Sandy Hook involved multiple weapons, fireing multiple rounds in a planned mass murder, Martin was shot one time as the result of a chance encounter with Zimmerman. There was no plan and a confrontation of some kind got out of hand.

    Now, can we get back to the topic of this post or will you just admit that you are completely anti-gun and stop hiding behind the false pretense that you are not.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

  23. #348
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,172

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    Magazines are not firearms.

    Please point me to where I've advocated eliminating private firearms ownership.
    So then why do you want to limit magazine size? What's to keep a person from strapping a dozen handguns to themselves? You continually harp on a subject that is meaningless, and will do NOTHING to eliminate the possibility from an insane or evil person from killing people.

  24. #349
    Forum Member
    scfire86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    HB
    Posts
    10,251

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by johnsb View Post
    So then why do you want to limit magazine size? What's to keep a person from strapping a dozen handguns to themselves? You continually harp on a subject that is meaningless, and will do NOTHING to eliminate the possibility from an insane or evil person from killing people.
    Nothing stops a person from strapping a dozen handguns to themselves. However, they run out of bullets after 10 rounds and have to stop to find their next weapon (or change magazines). That takes time. Maybe seconds. But those seconds are time potential victims can use to either counter the assailant or run away. You say that is meaningless. I've cited examples where that time lag was used to great effect in stopping the gunman. IMO, that is not meaningless.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

  25. #350
    Forum Member
    scfire86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    HB
    Posts
    10,251

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Your posting style reminds me of what Patches O'Houlihan tells the Average Joe's gym Dodgeball Team "Dodge, duck, dip, dive and Dodge." You haven't remained on topic since the beginning of this topic. Now the Travon Martin incident that has absolutely not one single thing to do with this incident is your latest nonsenseical diversion.
    I've repeatedly pointed out the different reactions between the Sandy Hook and Trayvon Martin case on more than one occasion. After one incident where an unarmed individual was killed by an armed individual there was no support for arming the unarmed the individual. In another incident that solution was put forth repeatedly.

    Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Sandy Hook was a horrific mass murder perpetrated by a mentally ill individual, Zimmerman claims self defense in a shooting of a single individual. Side note, you have declared Zimmerman "Gunned Down" Martin, I prefer to wait and see what the results of the trial are since I wasn't there and don't know for sure what actually transpired.
    We do know that Zimmerman continued to seek out Martin. That much is sure based upon the evidence put forth in the complaint that charged him. The legality of Zimmerman's gun ownership is not relevant.

    Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Sandy Hook involved multiple weapons, fireing multiple rounds in a planned mass murder, Martin was shot one time as the result of a chance encounter with Zimmerman. There was no plan and a confrontation of some kind got out of hand.
    Disagree. Zimmerman desired a confrontation when he ignored the dispatcher's request to stop following Martin.

    Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Now, can we get back to the topic of this post or will you just admit that you are completely anti-gun and stop hiding behind the false pretense that you are not.
    Please point me to where I've stated that private ownership of firearms should not be allowed. The only regulatory changes I've suggested are the elimination of the secondary market (aka gun shows) and limiting magazine capacity. Yet you have made the superman's leap into believing I "completely" anti-gun.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Shooting is West Palm Beach leaves firefighter, gunman dead.
    By SouthFlaHopeful in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-04-2008, 05:54 AM
  2. At least 2 dead in Kansas City mall shooting
    By RspctFrmCalgary in forum The Off Duty Forums
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-30-2007, 11:06 AM
  3. India-At Least 100 children dead
    By NJFFSA16 in forum Fire Wire
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-16-2004, 05:08 AM
  4. Children that cheered dead Americans
    By Waterboy620 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 09-12-2003, 05:01 PM
  5. Haysville, KS - 2 children dead
    By NJFFSA16 in forum Fire Wire
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-22-2002, 03:38 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register