Like Tree279Likes

Thread: 18 Children Dead in CT Mass Shooting

Forum Member

Default 18 Children Dead in CT Mass Shooting

Pray for the famalies.

Absolutly devestating.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

20 children, 6 adults, and the murdering scum dead at the school. Possibly 1 more adult victim at another location.

Hold these families of the deceased close in your thoughts and prayers.
    “The person who risks nothing, does nothing, has nothing, is nothing, and becomes nothing. He may avoid suffering and sorrow, but he simply cannot learn and feel and change and grow and love and live.” Leo F. Buscaglia

This place gets weirder and weirder every day...

Please also remember everyone who responded to this. This will haunt them for a very very long time.
    scfire86 and ATFDFF like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Miller337 View Post
    Please also remember everyone who responded to this. This will haunt them for a very very long time.
    Too true. Let's hope they get the help they need too.
    “The person who risks nothing, does nothing, has nothing, is nothing, and becomes nothing. He may avoid suffering and sorrow, but he simply cannot learn and feel and change and grow and love and live.” Leo F. Buscaglia

This is not a political statement. I believe in the 2nd Amendment.

But the sad fact is that for people without means, it is much easier to access firearms than it is the mental health system.

I hope this changes with the idea that these types of events become fewer.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post

But the sad fact is that for people without means, it is much easier to access firearms than it is the mental health system.

The guns were purchased legally by HIS MOTHER, he stole them and used them to commit this horrendous crime.

Frankly, who says he or his family believed he needed mental health care intervention before this incident?

Forum Member

SC, it's being reported that the murderer's dad worked as a VP for GE credit, so the family had means. At this point it's speculation as to what his mental state was specifically.

I believe that if responsible people with no criminal or psychological history were allowed to open carry firearms, these types of acts would be few and far between. You never hear of one of these cowards walking bare handed into a crowd and socking people up, they would be beat down on the double quick.
    They always have to have the upper hand. If the odds were even, less people would be killed or injured.

I know these responders were affected, I hope they get the help they need if they choose to accept it. I was first in on a workplace shooting here last month, it was ugly.
    Chenzo likes this.
    IAFF

MembersZone Subscriber

Thoughts and prayers for the families, friends, colleagues and emergency responders that were/are involved in this terrible tragedy. We lift-up the town and its members in prayer.

Tonight the screaming, yelling, messes and day-to-day stuff my kids do don't seem such a big deal..... We tucked them in extra tight, kissed them on the forehead and prayed together as a family. We're using this as a time to reflect and remind us what is truly important and precious to us.
    Last edited by mikeyboy411; 12-14-2012 at 11:43 PM.
    "Be LOUD, Be PROUD..... It just might save your can someday when goin' through an intersection!!!!!"

Life on the Truck (Quint) is good.....

Eat til you're sleepy..... Sleep til you're hungry..... And repeat.....

Quote Originally Posted by johnsb View Post
    SC, it's being reported that the murderer's dad worked as a VP for GE credit, so the family had means. At this point it's speculation as to what his mental state was specifically.
    I would submit his actions are those of someone that is mentally ill.

I only hope that we as a society can find a way to prevent these types of acts in the future.

I won't comment on guns or how the gunman came into possession of firearms.
    FIREMECH1 likes this.

My condolences to all those affected by the tragedy. I remember what it was like when I was in elementary school and how simple life was. Kids of that age should not have to worry about some nutcase with a gun going in and shooting everyone.

This is apparently a note that one of the children who died wrote at the school while the shooting was going on:
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.

Forum Member

As a parent, an American, and as a human being, I offer my sincerest condolences to the parents and community of Newtown, CT.

To the rest of you guys, please don't allow this thread to devolve into a political debate over gun control. I know an incident like this can conjure strong feelings one way or the other. But create a separate thread for that discussion.

Lastly, I call b.s. on that letter.
    Last edited by zarack808; 12-15-2012 at 07:47 AM.
    CaptOldTimer likes this.

A national tragedy....thoughts and prayers seem so minuscule seem, so insignificant, but may they build the foundation for healing.

There is no debate about gun control, the gun is not the issue. It is the very fact that there is pure evil in this world and this individual manifested it into this horrible event.
    In the ashes of this, there is good; the heroism of the average person, when pressed into action is incredible. Enough good cannot be bestowed on these men and woman. If there is hope, there it is.
    On a personal note, we need more good people with guns to confront the evil people with guns.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

Forum Member

This is why I think that ALL schools should have at least one cop or security guard that is armed. To prevent something like this happening again. Yeah I know you cant put a cop in every school but something needs to change. To many life's are getting took.
    Sparky79 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by zarack808 View Post
    Lastly, I call b.s. on that letter.
    Same here.

I think we can all agree the actions of the teachers that day were absolutely heroic and should be commended as such.

Agree 100%.

Maybe it's time that some of the school staff be allowed to carry, Well maybe not carry on their person all of the time. Maybe office personal that has weapons in a lock box, or something of the like.

Thoughts?
    Bring enough hose.

Quote Originally Posted by L-Webb View Post
    Agree 100%.

Maybe it's time that some of the school staff be allowed to carry, Well maybe not carry on their person all of the time. Maybe office personal that has weapons in a lock box, or something of the like.

Thoughts?
    First thought is that would make them the very first targets.
    don120 likes this.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

we cant get our cops to shoot straight in some of the busiest cities in the country.....why the f*ck would a teacher be able to handle that situation any better?
    don120 likes this.
    Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    we cant get our cops to shoot straight in some of the busiest cities in the country.....why the f*ck would a teacher be able to handle that situation any better?

My wife teaches school and is darn good at it. She's never fired a weapon in her life. Not the route to go.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    --General James Mattis, USMC

Thread Information