Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Help Please

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    The State of NJ would not accept his application. They have guidelines that a person must fit into. If you are someone that is too tall or extra muscular and don't fit into their guidelines, regardless of your "fitness" the State will not accept your application. You can still be a member of a fire department, but you will not be part of the State Association. Had it happen to 2 of my guys. They are in great shape, just don't meet the State parameters.
    Your state has some interesting aspects- not saying bad or good - just different
    ?

Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar

You can still be a member of a fire department, but you will not be part of the State Association. Had it happen to 2 of my guys. They are in great shape, just don't meet the State parameters.
    Can you expand on this? The state approves every single VFD application? Or you just can't be a member of the state association? And if you're not a member of the state association, this means...?
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Yes, all applications get sent through local relief boards. The State Association is who pays for death benefits of members. No, you don't have to be in the State Association. There are not many things that the association "adds" to your membership. There is a state exemption status, which means after 7 years of adequate service, you can change your status to exempt, which then relieves you of having to maintain response standards. Only members of the association can "sit" as delegates at the state convention.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    So, what you are saying is you would deny the guy on my career FDthat is 6 foot 9 inches tall a job because he is heavier than the average guy simply because he is tall? He is about 275 and is strong as a bull moose. There isn't a whole lot of excessive mass on his body. We all know that no single firefighter is going to drag him out. But he is physically fit and there is absolutely no reason to deny him a job because he doesn't wear a maximum of 175 pounds.
    What I'm saying, is that if he's 275lb's, and 6'9", i doubt he has a 50" waistband... And if he does, good for him, I wouldn't wan't to go inside with him...
    Firefighter 1/ PA EMT-B

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by Picc.93Truck View Post
    What I'm saying, is that if he's 275lb's, and 6'9", i doubt he has a 50" waistband... And if he does, good for him, I wouldn't wan't to go inside with him...
    So let me see if I have this right. YOU wouldn't go inside with this guy because he is big, but you would go inside with someone that meets the arbitrary standards that says someone too big, despite their physical conditioning can't be a member of the state association? Suppose the person that meets those arbitrary standards can't drag your a s s out either? This whole thing is silly to me. Meet the physical standards and pass a medical exam and you are on...it is really that simple.

Honestly, if I were big guy that passed all the membership requirements and was denied because of this nonsense I would sue and claim discrimination. And NO that is not the way I do things but this is beyond stupid.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

Yes, all applications get sent through local relief boards. The State Association is who pays for death benefits of members. No, you don't have to be in the State Association. There are not many things that the association "adds" to your membership. There is a state exemption status, which means after 7 years of adequate service, you can change your status to exempt, which then relieves you of having to maintain response standards. Only members of the association can "sit" as delegates at the state convention.
    Lets see if I am reading this right. I can be a firefighter but I have no benefits if I become a LODD. I assume I am covered by insurance if I am hurt or do I not get that either? NJ has some unusual laws. It seems that there are some federal laws that are contrary to what you have.
    Stephen J Bourassa
    Latham FD (NY)
    member since 1969
    challenge competitor since 1993

Correct, no coverage from the state on LODD. Insurance is done locally, so that is a maybe.

NJ...unusual? YUP
    Trkco1 likes this.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

its kind of amusing what this thread has turned into. lol

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Daped01 View Post
    its kind of amusing what this thread has turned into. lol
    I think it is the fact that no 2 states operate the same. Bones admitted that NJ had some unusual things, well hear in NY we have our own unusual things. It does make the world go around.
    Stephen J Bourassa
    Latham FD (NY)
    member since 1969
    challenge competitor since 1993

Thread Information