Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Help Please

Forum Member

Default Help Please

We have a guy who started about a year ago who has some turnout pants that cannot close fully. He needs a size 50-54 or so. Does anyone have a pair they would be willing to sell

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Daped01 View Post
    We have a guy who started about a year ago who has some turnout pants that cannot close fully. He needs a size 50-54 or so. Does anyone have a pair they would be willing to sell
    Wow....How about having him lose some weight? Might work out better for everyone in the long run, especially him......
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

I don't understand anyone anymore... A topic titled "help Please" should be a cry for help... (I.e. I'm going to die, people are in my house with guns, uhm... my Furby has a knife and is chasing me around my house).

And as for your 54" waistband man, I hate to say he's fat, and shouldn't be in the fire service, but he's fat, and is a liability to everyone... He can break a leg getting out of a truck, how about he hits the gym, does some walking, and then he can have whatever the biggest size turnout pants you currently have.
    Firefighter 1/ PA EMT-B

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Um, why is it I get my a s s beat for the way I respond to people and Daped01 asks for some help finding some big bunker pants and you guys beat him senseless. He didn't ask about a health and welness program, he asked about bunker pants.
    SPFDRum and BoxAlarm187 like this.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Um, why is it I get my a s s beat for the way I respond to people and Daped01 asks for some help finding some big bunker pants and you guys beat him senseless. He didn't ask about a health and welness program, he asked about bunker pants.
    Hey for what it's worth if someone wants to beat my azz for my response, so be it, but my answer remains the same. I was going to answer pretty much along the lines of 93Truck's response but I decided to tone it down a little; but since he brought it up- as a matter of fact the large guy does happen to be a liability and they would be doing him a favor by not kowtowing to him and making him drop a few.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Hey for what it's worth if someone wants to beat my azz for my response, so be it, but my answer remains the same. I was going to answer pretty much along the lines of 93Truck's response but I decided to tone it down a little; but since he brought it up- as a matter of fact the large guy does happen to be a liability and they would be doing him a favor by not kowtowing to him and making him drop a few.
    Yet the simple truth is it isn't your business. He asked for help with bunker pants.

Frankly, I am getting damn tired of getting singled out and pounded by others about how I talk to people here and then see this post.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

Yet the simple truth is it isn't your business. He asked for help with bunker pants.

Frankly, I am getting damn tired of getting singled out and pounded by others about how I talk to people here and then see this post.
    FWIW, I dont believe I have ever singled you out for that, simply for the fact that I dont have room to talk. That being said, yes he did ask for bunker pants help- and he was given a very valid suggestion. It may not be the one he wants to hear, but it certainly is the one he needs to hear. The Volunteer Fire Service needs a lot more truth these days for everyone involved- especially in matters of physical performance and fitness qualifications.

If I were the chief of that Department, first thing I would have asked Mr. Size 50-54 was a letter from his Family Doctor endorsing his participation as a Firefighter.
    Last edited by FWDbuff; 12-21-2012 at 12:17 AM.

Forum Member

Does a guy with a 54" waist need to be TOLD he should lose weight??
    I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    FWIW, I dont believe I have ever singled you out for that, simply for the fact that I dont have room to talk. That being said, yes he did ask for bunker pants help- and he was given a very valid suggestion. It may not be the one he wants to hear, but it certainly is the one he needs to hear. The Volunteer Fire Service needs a lot more truth these days for everyone involved- especially in matters of physical performance and fitness qualifications.

If I were the chief of that Department, first thing I would have asked Mr. Size 50-54 was a letter from his Family Doctor endorsing his participation as a Firefighter.

Well guess what? My #1 POC FD has a guy who was a size 54 by 36 bunker pants, and a size 60 bunker coat. Yes, he was a big boy. Amazingly now he is roughly half that size and he did it on his own. If we had booted him for being big we wouldn't have one of the best MPOs we ever had as well as an officer that is cool and collected when under pressure at a call.

Do you have knowledge that he hasn't been approved for duty by their doctor? Because I haven't got a clue.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

thanks for the responses guys. the guy in the post is me. i'm 6-2 275 lbs......

appreciate all the help.

Forum Member

Other similar posts have suggested Craig's list

I suggest also check some of the online rental places for used bunker gear, and also neighboring depts

Forum Member

What if this is Chris snee, or joe Thomas.. All pro NFL offensive linemen... I'm sure they're in better shape then most of us, and would require a 50-54 turnout pants

Forum Member

I've seen well trained athletes fail at their duties inside a burning building. It doesnt matter who they are, If they are that big, I can't drag them out... and If I can't drag your @$$ out, why are you inside with me?

I read a statement awhile ago, stating that the national obesity rate of fireman was greater than the obesity rate of the general public...
    Firefighter 1/ PA EMT-B

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Picc.93Truck View Post
    I've seen well trained athletes fail at their duties inside a burning building. It doesnt matter who they are, If they are that big, I can't drag them out... and If I can't drag your @$$ out, why are you inside with me?

I read a statement awhile ago, stating that the national obesity rate of fireman was greater than the obesity rate of the general public...
    So, what you are saying is you would deny the guy on my career FDthat is 6 foot 9 inches tall a job because he is heavier than the average guy simply because he is tall? He is about 275 and is strong as a bull moose. There isn't a whole lot of excessive mass on his body. We all know that no single firefighter is going to drag him out. But he is physically fit and there is absolutely no reason to deny him a job because he doesn't wear a maximum of 175 pounds.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

so what do you do about the skinny short firefighter,

easier to pick up and carry??, but may not be able to lift someone else??

Forum Member

Also find out who the local bunker vendor is

They may have some demos, seconds or other or know a dept that has some extras

Forum Member

While I can see the obesity rates among firefighters being high, I didn't know it was higher then the general population..

All I'm saying is that everyone has a particular body type...endomorph, ectomorph, etc. Some people can
    gain muscle mass easy, some people, like myself, can gain 5 pounds just by saying the word pizza, and some people can eat 5 pizzas and lose 5 pounds. Weight alone does not equate to poor fitness. and again 6 pack abs or being slim does not equate to good fitness.

Case in point #1..my structural burn..1 of my team mates was a slim, in decent shape, ate well..but he had very high blood pressure, and a slightly above average resting heart rate when we got our baseline vitals taken..While myself who was 40 pounds heavier had perfect vitals. I've never been flagged once after a fire.

Case in point #2..In the army, 1 of my buddies..very skinny, did his 2 mile run in under 13 minutes. but he could not outlast me on a ruck march, or on patrol while wearing full kit.

Would you rather have someone who is skinny, but smokes 2 packs a day?

or..

a slightly heavy guy who does not smoke, drink, and makes smart decisions?

When I got "fitted for bunker gear, I was wearing a 48..with the tabs pulled in, but the guy measured me at 54..

When I went to get fitted for PFD, and actually put gear on, I was a 42..

maybe he is being fitted/measured wrong? Can't just call someone a fatty, because that fatty might run circles around you on the fire ground..not making a personal attack on anyone, but gotta look at the whole picture.

Forum Member

So, what you are saying is you would deny the guy on my career FDthat is 6 foot 9 inches tall a job because he is heavier than the average guy simply because he is tall? He is about 275 and is strong as a bull moose. There isn't a whole lot of excessive mass on his body. We all know that no single firefighter is going to drag him out. But he is physically fit and there is absolutely no reason to deny him a job because he doesn't wear a maximum of 175 pounds.
    The State of NJ would not accept his application. They have guidelines that a person must fit into. If you are someone that is too tall or extra muscular and don't fit into their guidelines, regardless of your "fitness" the State will not accept your application. You can still be a member of a fire department, but you will not be part of the State Association. Had it happen to 2 of my guys. They are in great shape, just don't meet the State parameters.
    Picc.93Truck likes this.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    The State of NJ would not accept his application. They have guidelines that a person must fit into. If you are someone that is too tall or extra muscular and don't fit into their guidelines, regardless of your "fitness" the State will not accept your application. You can still be a member of a fire department, but you will not be part of the State Association. Had it happen to 2 of my guys. They are in great shape, just don't meet the State parameters.
    That is absolutely assinine and I can see a discrimination lawsuit at some point over that.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

Wow, I can see the ACLU buying into that one. My FD once denied membership to someone and they took us to court. We were slapped silly for not giving them a change to fail.
    Stephen J Bourassa
    Latham FD (NY)
    member since 1969
    challenge competitor since 1993

Forum Member

Your state has some interesting aspects- not saying bad or good - just different
    ?

Let's talk fire trucks!

You can still be a member of a fire department, but you will not be part of the State Association. Had it happen to 2 of my guys. They are in great shape, just don't meet the State parameters.
    Can you expand on this? The state approves every single VFD application? Or you just can't be a member of the state association? And if you're not a member of the state association, this means...?
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

Yes, all applications get sent through local relief boards. The State Association is who pays for death benefits of members. No, you don't have to be in the State Association. There are not many things that the association "adds" to your membership. There is a state exemption status, which means after 7 years of adequate service, you can change your status to exempt, which then relieves you of having to maintain response standards. Only members of the association can "sit" as delegates at the state convention.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

What I'm saying, is that if he's 275lb's, and 6'9", i doubt he has a 50" waistband... And if he does, good for him, I wouldn't wan't to go inside with him...
    Firefighter 1/ PA EMT-B

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Picc.93Truck View Post
    What I'm saying, is that if he's 275lb's, and 6'9", i doubt he has a 50" waistband... And if he does, good for him, I wouldn't wan't to go inside with him...
    So let me see if I have this right. YOU wouldn't go inside with this guy because he is big, but you would go inside with someone that meets the arbitrary standards that says someone too big, despite their physical conditioning can't be a member of the state association? Suppose the person that meets those arbitrary standards can't drag your a s s out either? This whole thing is silly to me. Meet the physical standards and pass a medical exam and you are on...it is really that simple.

Honestly, if I were big guy that passed all the membership requirements and was denied because of this nonsense I would sue and claim discrimination. And NO that is not the way I do things but this is beyond stupid.
    Maybe it's not too late

Thread Information