To all EMS,Nursing and Bikers, please read this and like his page. Scott was terminated 2weeks before christmas for no justifiable reason and you will see after reading his side. Scott has 5 kids at home and could use some help. This is a man who has devoted his life to helping whether it was in his military career or his decade and a half as a paramedic at a local ambulance company in colorado springs.

http://www.facebook.com/ScottsSideOfTheStory

First of all, I want to thank all of you for your words of support and encouragement. Nearly everyone I have spoken to about this has expressed shock and outrage, and it is my intent to outline the facts of the situation below to encourage truth and transparency and discourage the escalation of the standard rumor mill.

On the night of December 5, my partner and I transported a mental health patient who was intoxicated and presumably under the influence of "bath salts." The patient was extremely combative, and as such I placed him in four point Kerlix restraints, and administered 5 mg of Haldol and 50 mg of Benadryl IM prior to leaving the scene. Upon our arrival at the hospital, the patient broke free from the Kerlix restraints and struck me behind the left ear hard enough to knock me onto the floor of the ambulance between the bench and the cot. I looked up and saw the patient above me and moving toward my partner, and had no other choice but to attempt to neutralize the situation. From my vulnerable position, my only option was to strike the patient in an upward motion, and the impact was successful in convincing the patient to return to the cot and comply. The patient did sustain a fractured orbit as a result of this interaction, and the force of his blow to my head caused a moderate concussion and a neck strain, and forced me to check into the emergency room myself as a patient and effectively ended my shift.

All investigation by my immediate supervisor, the police department, and the hospital staff resulted in overwhelming agreement that I had acted in self-defense, and had had no other choice but to protect myself and my partner.

I received notification the next morning from management that the investigation was officially concluded, that i had followed all company policies and procedures, and that I was cleared to return to work as soon as cleared by my physicians.

Approximately 3 hours later, upon the arrival of the regional director to the office, that decision was reversed and I was placed on administrative leave pending more investigation. That investigation, spanning the next five days, did not include any discussion with my partner, the police involved, any of the hospital staff involved, or anyone else, despite multiple phone calls made to management by the hospital staff and the police department in attempt to provide information on a voluntary basis.

I was asked to meet with management on Monday to provide my side of the story, which I was more than willing to do. During this meeting, I was asked if I thought there would have been anything else I could have done differently. My reply was that I could have curled up into a ball on the ambulance floor and allow the patient to beat me and my partner to death with the oxygen bottle, or I could have escaped to the front of the ambulance away from my partner and just allow the patient to beat her to death. I refused to allow either of those things to happen, so I took control of the situation with the only tool I had available to me at the time.

I was terminated by my employer on Tuesday, December 11, with the reason given being code of conduct violation. In 18 years of combined prior service to the organization, I had received discipline of any kind only twice before.

I am a solid paramedic with an impeccable commitment to professional integrity and ethical conduct, and I have done my best throughout my career to take good care of my patients and represent my employer well. My opinion is that there are other issues at play in management's decision to terminate me, which will be addressed in the future.

Thanks again for all of your support and friendship. I appreciate it more than I can say.