Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: You have to love the inconsitent Moderation of this place...

Quote Originally Posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
    I think you are missing the point --- the web team locked it , not because of the LA "bashing" , but because it had regressed to grown men wanting to spank each other. Im sure somewhere out there there is a forum for that ------ just not here.
    Hey! Easy now Reverend, it was just a simple spanking request. Not a naked hookup at Big Gay Al's highway rest stop with a reach around.....
    RyanK63 likes this.
    IAFF

Quote Originally Posted by snowball View Post
    Hey! Easy now Reverend, it was just a simple spanking request. Not a naked hookup at Big Gay Al's highway rest stop with a reach around.....

Wow. I never knew that place was a chain!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LVFD301 View Post
    I call BS. Maybe LAFE complained, but I can't see a "number" of complaints unless it was 1 or 2 for a number.

All everyone is asking for is EVEN moderation.
    I completely agree.

You cannot honestly tell me that the Pet Peeve thread received such numerous complaints that it warranted an immediate action, as opposed to the Mr. D thread. A thread which devolved into mayhem significantly quicker and to a MUCH further extent....and it went on for (just going off memory, don't quote me) about 48 hours.

I can see the "webteam" locking this topic in about a day or two. lol
    "If it was easy, someone else would of done it already." - Lt. Ray McCormack FDNY

- Firefighter 1 / HAZMAT Ops / EMT-B

Forum Member

I thought Big Gay Al's place was for "animals" ---- hmm -ok -Ok -so the big debate is -receiving a spanking---should you wear bunker pants - or pull up boots ?
    ?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Chenzo View Post
    You're an idiot. And you suck at moderating a forum. There was a poster wishing people death, and swearing left and right at other members, but that thread continued on.

You've been caught by the post count argument. That's the only logical explanation left. Fess up, and get it over with. Then we will all at least have confirmation from YOU as to why your webteam sucks the big D at moderating a forum.
    I emailed them several times asking the same question and NEVER got a reply.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LVFD301 View Post
    I call BS. Maybe LAFE complained, but I can't see a "number" of complaints unless it was 1 or 2 for a number.

All everyone is asking for is EVEN moderation.
    No, I didn't complain.

And never have. I can take the shots without running to the webteam like a little girl.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    The "Pet Peeve" topic was for the most part a good natured exchange of pet peeves. With a few guys chastising one for some LA bashing it got little off track. But "BOOM!" that gets locked down pretty quick.

On the other hand we can have people in here reeking havoc with personal attacks and the constant use of profanity with repeated reports of that activity go unanswered for days or even weeks at times.

YES, I understand they own this site. YES, I understand they can do as they please. But being the suspicious guy that I am I can't help but wonder if the post count has more to do with something getting locked down than the activity. These sites run on post count, they sell advertising based on post count, and obviously controversial topics increase post count. I believe sometimes topics only get shut down when enough of the regulars that keep this site alive say ENOUGH ALREADY, shut this down.

Merry Christmas...
    I'd like to see allot of the spam topics deleted aswell... There's enough posts on this forum, theres enough memberbase, we can spare a topic or two...
    Firefighter 1/ PA EMT-B

Firehouse.com Editor

Yes, we do overlook some of the spam postings and other threads that go off-topic and for that I do apologize. We try to keep the best eye possible and we're always appreciative of those two report issues.

Several users took the Pet Peeve thread off topic to post about one member, then went completely off topic using some inside jokes. The last page and a half were not of any use to a reader who clicks through the posts to see some great feedback

FWD, feel free to send your Facebook friend from Firehouse a message. You can always call me, the offer still stands.

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by FHEditor View Post
    Several users took the Pet Peeve thread off topic to post about one member
    That happens on almost EVERY thread.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    --General James Mattis, USMC

Forum Member

How much extra do they charge for the reach-around or is it one all-inclusive price?

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by FHEditor View Post
    Yes, we do overlook some of the spam postings and other threads that go off-topic and for that I do apologize. We try to keep the best eye possible and we're always appreciative of those two report issues.

Several users took the Pet Peeve thread off topic to post about one member, then went completely off topic using some inside jokes. The last page and a half were not of any use to a reader who clicks through the posts to see some great feedback

FWD, feel free to send your Facebook friend from Firehouse a message. You can always call me, the offer still stands.

Peter
    Peter,

The reason the moderation here is ALWAYS called into question is the blatant and ridiculous inconsistency of how the heavy hand of closing threads and banning members is used.

It is clear you received mulitple complaints over multiple days about the "I'm getting a pager" topic and the attacks and profanity of Junior22 and KennyTheFireGuy. Yet it went on and on and on for months, from June until November. Well it did give the site an amzing 477 posts before it was finally, mercifully closed. Yet the moderators jumped on the "Pet Peeve" topic and closed it in 5 DAYS! Seriously, some guys are goofing around, having some good natured fun and that topic is closed in 5 days, Junior22 and KennyTheFireGuy, spewed attacks, profanity, and Junior22 at one point wished some of us dead at a fire, and that went on for months.

Just admit it, your moderators have no clue what actually goes on here, many complaints are ignored, and it is all about post count and revenue from advertising. So many of the great posters that used to be here are gone. The information they passed on is gone. And they have been replaced by trolls and buffoons who are driving the rest of us long time members out. This place is dying and unless you get some moderators that actually pay attention from your side, or appoint some moderators from users, it isn't will this die, it is only a matter of when.
    Last edited by FyredUp; 12-17-2012 at 11:25 AM.
    “The person who risks nothing, does nothing, has nothing, is nothing, and becomes nothing. He may avoid suffering and sorrow, but he simply cannot learn and feel and change and grow and love and live.” Leo F. Buscaglia

This place gets weirder and weirder every day...

Peter,
    So many of the great posters that used to be here are gone. The information they passed on is gone. And they have been replaced by trolls and buffoons who are driving the rest of us long time members out.
    I don't entirely agree. The biggest irritant to me right now is how threads keep getting derailed by everybody jumping on LaFireEducator. There is no thread that can't devolve into a series of five-paragraph diatribes from both sides of the fence, squeezing every last bit of education, information, and entertainment out of the threads until they all look the same.

I'll echo what somebody posted earlier. Nobody is going to change LaFireEducator's mind. He's not going to change anyone else's. So why do both sides keep feeding the monster?

The threads remind me of the barber shop in my hometown when I was a kid. Dad takes his son in, tells the barber to part it on the left, taper the back, and leave a little bit of length. Kid leaves with a flattop. It didn't matter what you told him you wanted. You got a flattop. That's the way it is around here. No matter what the thread is supposed to be about, it ends up being an argument between LaFireEducator and his personal heckling squad.

Getting sick of it.
    Miller337 likes this.

MembersZone Subscriber

Peter -

I'm going to call bull ****. Then please answer me why that you would allow someone to be a forum memeber when they wished death to another firefighter. Yes I am still ****ed about that and even more ****ed that NO ONE replied to several emails from me about why!

Quote Originally Posted by rm1524 View Post
    Peter -

I'm going to call bull ****. Then please answer me why that you would allow someone to be a forum memeber when they wished death to another firefighter. Yes I am still ****ed about that and even more ****ed that NO ONE replied to several emails from me about why!
    I was thinking that Kenny got the ax and the thread got shut down. I do agree it took a bit too long.

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF View Post
    I don't entirely agree. The biggest irritant to me right now is how threads keep getting derailed by everybody jumping on LaFireEducator. There is no thread that can't devolve into a series of five-paragraph diatribes from both sides of the fence, squeezing every last bit of education, information, and entertainment out of the threads until they all look the same.

I'll echo what somebody posted earlier. Nobody is going to change LaFireEducator's mind. He's not going to change anyone else's. So why do both sides keep feeding the monster?

The threads remind me of the barber shop in my hometown when I was a kid. Dad takes his son in, tells the barber to part it on the left, taper the back, and leave a little bit of length. Kid leaves with a flattop. It didn't matter what you told him you wanted. You got a flattop. That's the way it is around here. No matter what the thread is supposed to be about, it ends up being an argument between LaFireEducator and his personal heckling squad.

Getting sick of it.
    Too bad that you are getting sick of it. Perhaps if LA would stay the hell out of topics where we all know what his opinion is and let the rest of us that want to discuss something do it with out his BS the battles wouldn't begin. Maybe if he wasn't such an attention whore he wouldn't over and over and over and over and over make the same comments and ruin topic after topic. I wish he would go away, just as much as I wish those that drag him into topic after topic wouldstop it.

On the other hand I refuse to allow him to spread what I view as poison to the fire service I have been a member of for over 35 years and that I love. So to me it is a 2 way street, he needs to stop ruining every topic that he disagress with, and others need to stop dragging him into topics. Neither will EVER happen so the crap storm will continue.
    “The person who risks nothing, does nothing, has nothing, is nothing, and becomes nothing. He may avoid suffering and sorrow, but he simply cannot learn and feel and change and grow and love and live.” Leo F. Buscaglia

This place gets weirder and weirder every day...

Too bad that you are getting sick of it. Perhaps if LA would stay the hell out of topics where we all know what his opinion is and let the rest of us that want to discuss something do it with out his BS the battles wouldn't begin.

It's not all him. There have been entire threads started with the express purpose of provoking Bobby.
    ATFDFF likes this.

Forum Member

Too bad that you are getting sick of it. Perhaps if LA would stay the hell out of topics where we all know what his opinion is and let the rest of us that want to discuss something do it with out his BS the battles wouldn't begin. Maybe if he wasn't such an attention whore he wouldn't over and over and over and over and over make the same comments and ruin topic after topic. I wish he would go away, just as much as I wish those that drag him into topic after topic wouldstop it.

On the other hand I refuse to allow him to spread what I view as poison to the fire service I have been a member of for over 35 years and that I love. So to me it is a 2 way street, he needs to stop ruining every topic that he disagress with, and others need to stop dragging him into topics. Neither will EVER happen so the crap storm will continue.
    If you want to make this about me, have at it.

I'm sorry that you and some of your cronnies see the fire service from one demension and simply refuse to accept the change that needs to occur within it, wether it be the excessive speed that many apapratus still respond at or the unjustifable chances we take during response or the need for unreasonable training standards that will make volunteering nearly impossible for the majority of the talent pool available to us.

And yes, much like you will continue to fight me I will continue to fight the mindset that somehow we have an obligation to enter abandoned structures in communities with no significant history of occupany, that it's not acceptable for any member to choose not to act at an off-duty or out-of district incident if they do not have tools to do the job or the protections to keep thier famalies financially secure, or that training standards need to be reasonable and community based, not unrealistic, unobtainable for most volunteers and based on a vanillia national standard which may have minimum relevancy in thier local community.

The fact was that in many cases, my posts have nothing to do with any of the above, but there are 5 or 6 posters that always feel they need to take a pot shot even though it's not relevant to any of my posts in that thread. If you. or they, think that will drive me off, it won't.

I have no issues with anyone diagreeing with any of my posts when relevant, and am always happy to debate why I feel the way I do. My vision of the fire service is not those who disagree with me. We need to accept that in many places, we simply cannot act in the way we have in the past, either due to funding, manpower, building construction or demographic changes. That may mean more civilian fatalities, which is tragic, but in many ways, unavoidable due the above mentioned changes, and as a service we need to accept that greater risks by firefighters will not change that, but will only result in greater firefighter injries and deaths.
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 12-17-2012 at 01:14 PM.

Your writing skills make me car sick.
    IAFF

So are you a self appointed moderator? You don't own the site. You don't control what people say. FH.com does and THEY have no problem with him posting.

I'll be honest, I pay no attention to the "advertising" on the site. The constant attack...that I notice often.
    ATFDFF likes this.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Thread Information