Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Dallas Fire Rescue - 2013

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kcam23 View Post
    If you're coming to Dallas to fight a lot of fire, you might be disappointed.
    Dallas does fight it's fair share of fires. Remember, much of Dallas' buildings are older and not going anywhere anytime soon. Most of the fires in Dallas, as in any other major city, are regular ole' house fires. Many of the multiple-alarm fires are in apartments. You'll find that most departments, nationwide, fight most of their fires in those two types of buildings. Ever so often, you'll see a big fire in a commercial building that makes the 5 o'clock news but those are few and far between.

Piggy-backing on the original post, in Dallas you will ride (and run the tires down to a nub) the ambulance a majority of the time. The three or four shifts per month you ride the engine or truck, you'll be busy as well - usually chasing the ambulance around your first-in district answering medical runs as a first-responder. You'll answer a few box alarms per shift and most of these will be minor fires if anything at all.

The point is in Dallas (and in any other big city), you'll be busy - very busy. You'll spend the vast majority of your time answering EMS runs (regardless of the type of apparatus you riding that day). When you are on the box, you'll miss every meal, be up all night, and hopefully be back somewhere around relief time so you can go home before rush-hour traffic gets to crazy. When you are riding the engine or truck, you'll be very busy with all of the fire "stuff" - inspections, plug maintenance, training, station chores, cooking, and etc.

Dallas, as with any other big city, is busy. If you like to work, then you'll like the big city. If you want to lay around the station playing X-Box and have a hard time interacting with and taking care of citizens who are either too lazy or don't care enough to take care of themselves, then you will make yourself (and everyone you interact with) miserable.
    DFW

"There's no such thing as a free lunch."

Forum Member

Well said.

Forum Member

Kcam is crazy, crazy. Pamn.

Forum Member

The Craziest.

Forum Member

Don't get me wrong I love my job it's the best job in the world. The only thing I'm trying to say is after being beat down on the ambulance for nearly 6 yrs it would be nice to have the city have our backs and give us a raise, I still think Dallas is a great place to work im just trying to let these guys testing there are other cities in this great state that are willing to compensate their employees better. And when I got on I was not worried about the money this is what I have always wanted to do, but more money makes life easier. Plus I have the excellent pension to look forward to but these new guys get a crappy pension the same as tx municipal retierment system. I am proud to work for a big city and I still love my job, just trying to inform the next generation, and hopefully this will help them to make a more informed decision.

Forum Member

Thanks to you guys from DFR for the insight, it helps. Got my test date for the 25th. Anyone else?

Forum Member

I think everyone will be testing on the 25th this year since they are doing it at the convention center

Forum Member

I think you would be correct there sir

Forum Member

Does anyone know where you can find the ems protocols that DFR utilizes? I looked on their website but no luck.

Forum Member

@ Hanover we use the utsw Biotel protocol, I'm not sure if you can access it from outside their network

Forum Member

New to the site here. Found this forum last night and spent an hour or so reading over last years thread. Wow, just reading was making me nervous for you guys. It was like reading a 9 month story. Enjoyable to say the least just to read back on all your posts. I'll be testing on the 25th as well. No certs here, just a bachelors degree in business. I'm looking for a career change out of sales and being a firefighter for a big city has always been a passion of mine. Wanted to become a fireman out of college, but married a gorgeous woman and had to make money to support the family. Lately it has been burning at me inside to apply, and then I saw a buddy of mine post on facebook about Dallas hiring for 2013. So, here I am and hoping to make it to the end and wear that uniform with pride.

Forum Member

Good Luck BRCBRC. You're in for a great experience.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BRCBRC View Post
    New to the site here. Found this forum last night and spent an hour or so reading over last years thread. Wow, just reading was making me nervous for you guys. It was like reading a 9 month story. Enjoyable to say the least just to read back on all your posts. I'll be testing on the 25th as well. No certs here, just a bachelors degree in business. I'm looking for a career change out of sales and being a firefighter for a big city has always been a passion of mine. Wanted to become a fireman out of college, but married a gorgeous woman and had to make money to support the family. Lately it has been burning at me inside to apply, and then I saw a buddy of mine post on facebook about Dallas hiring for 2013. So, here I am and hoping to make it to the end and wear that uniform with pride.

Get ff certified if you are in Tx and get paramedic , then start testing

Fast way for ff cert;;;;

http://www.trainingdivision.com/fire...ghter-academy/

And if you are in Dfw area, it is local

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fire49 View Post
    Get ff certified if you are in Tx and get paramedic , then start testing

Fast way for ff cert;;;;

http://www.trainingdivision.com/fire...ghter-academy/

And if you are in Dfw area, it is local
    I appreciate that. If I put in about 2-3 hours a day how long would it take to get through the course?

Forum Member

not sure, best thing to do is give them a call

great bunch of people, and there to help

Forum Member

fire49 do you work for dallas? seems like you're always detour people from working there

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by probie27 View Post
    fire49 do you work for dallas? seems like you're always detour people from working there

Nope, i do not, I do know people that work for Dallas

Only problem I have with Dallas is the city politics, if you have been following them the past few years.

There are many departments in the DFW area, adn just try to let peole know that.

Plus if you are certified and paramedic the number of people you compete against goes WAY down.

Forum Member

Less competition is good if you're just trying to get a job, but if you're trying to be part of a department who actually fights fire on a daily basis and has the resources to take care of our own then Dallas is for you.. Smaller departments are good and all but when chaos hits their city, who do you think is responding? I know where I'd rather be... And you're right city politics suck, but any big city in this country has bad politics, it's a price we pay to have one hell of a career

Forum Member

You definitely have a point thunder dome, that's one of the reasons I got on with Dallas but, like fire 49 said the city politics are bad and add to that the city has been in the red for the last several years. The pension sucks for new hires and we have not had a raise in almost 4 yrs. so like I said before it is a great job and its cool working for a big dept but in the end you still have to support your family and its hard to do when you are beat down on the ambulance and are so tired you don't want or have the energy to work another job. So just another FYI to you guys taking the entrance exams it's not as rosy as it seems

Forum Member

I'm young with no family so I am definitely enjoying life right now, but I do understand what you're saying. I also believe with how bad the economy has been, any pension is a good pension right now. We may not have the interest on the drop but it's still better than nothing. You put your time in and the money is there. How many other departments can promote so many? There is endless opportunities with Dallas, join the USAR team and get the OT, swift water, haz mat, exc. How many people take pay cuts to do this job? A lot. Yes we have a busy ambulance, but that's our job security, without EMS a lot of us would be unemployed.. Just something to think about..

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDome7 View Post
    I'm young with no family so I am definitely enjoying life right now, but I do understand what you're saying. I also believe with how bad the economy has been, any pension is a good pension right now. We may not have the interest on the drop but it's still better than nothing. You put your time in and the money is there. How many other departments can promote so many? There is endless opportunities with Dallas, join the USAR team and get the OT, swift water, haz mat, exc. How many people take pay cuts to do this job? A lot. Yes we have a busy ambulance, but that's our job security, without EMS a lot of us would be unemployed.. Just something to think about..
    Funny you mention that, because if by the grace of God I am hired for this position then I would be one of those people.
    Last edited by BRCBRC; 02-19-2013 at 01:14 AM.

Forum Member

@ Thunderdome, their are a lot of people who take pay cuts and are lucky to have a job but that line is getting old. I'm at a single company house so I'm not around the old heads so I don't have to listen to them after I bitch about pay and benefits. But I'm guessing you are at a double company house and have to hear that line from them. Also anyone hired after 2011 not only has no intrest in the drop they also have a different multiplier for their pensions so it is exactly the same as tmrs. As well as now their is a group from the DFFA looking to file an injunction to the promotional process. With that being said these guys testing need to know all of this not to mention the shenanigans that go on In recruiting that are very shady. If I had less time on and didn't mind being a rookie again I would leave what is the reason to stay around I see none when you can pay the bills a whole lot easier making close 30,000 more per year with a lot better insurance and the same pension it's just something these guys need to know. I'm not trying to be brash or bitchy just informative.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bill white1234 View Post
    @ Thunderdome, their are a lot of people who take pay cuts and are lucky to have a job but that line is getting old. I'm at a single company house so I'm not around the old heads so I don't have to listen to them after I bitch about pay and benefits. But I'm guessing you are at a double company house and have to hear that line from them. Also anyone hired after 2011 not only has no intrest in the drop they also have a different multiplier for their pensions so it is exactly the same as tmrs. As well as now their is a group from the DFFA looking to file an injunction to the promotional process. With that being said these guys testing need to know all of this not to mention the shenanigans that go on In recruiting that are very shady. If I had less time on and didn't mind being a rookie again I would leave what is the reason to stay around I see none when you can pay the bills a whole lot easier making close 30,000 more per year with a lot better insurance and the same pension it's just something these guys need to know. I'm not trying to be brash or bitchy just informative.
    I'd love to hear more about the shenanigans, not the first time I've heard something like this. I made it to the inerview last year and didn't make the cut. I probably didn't have the best interview but surely not the worst. PM me if you want

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bill white1234 View Post
    what do you mean the shady that goes on in recruiting

Forum Member

@ probie and gogetit, the recruiting division is made up of minorities and its no secret they help out their own. There have been many cases of people who scored higher that are white being passed over by underscoring minorities. @probie their is not telling if you were wronged and their is nothing you can really do about it now, but the possibilities are out there

Thread Information