Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Dallas Fire Rescue - 2013

Forum Member

that's pretty much what I've heard. I talked to a guy during paramedic rotations that didn't even pass his polygraph, yet was still offered a job. But, like you said.. nothing I can do about it. We'll give it a shot this yr and see how it goes.

Forum Member

Good luck to everyone testing today! And by testing I mean finding a parking spot.

Forum Member

The Civil Service Exam was much easier than I anticipated. Good luck everyone on your scores. I'm not sure what you need to pass that test, but I'm pretty confident that I missed maybe 5-8 questions at the worst.

Time to fill out the paperwork.

Forum Member

@ BRCBRC be prepared to leave that gorgeous wife home alone every 3rd night and holidays IF you do 'by the grace of God' get hired

Forum Member

So what do we actually need to send in for the March 5th deadline. Is it just the personal history packet, or is it all of the forms on the DFR website? There are several forms that require information that we may not have yet, like acuplace scores. Can anyone clear this up for me or does anyone have contact info for DFR recruiting?

Thanks

Forum Member

We're supposed to send back the whole packet minus the accuplacer release forms. Read the form entitled steps to employment, it should clarify it there. Once we recieve confirmation of our written exam scores, then we can contact the college to schedule an accuplacer.

Forum Member

Hey guy, I applied last year and by the grace of God I made the cut. I remember very well being in your position over a year ago. I just wanted to say good luck and stay on track with everything! Get your paperwork turned in, prepare for the next "obstacle" in the process whatever it may be and stay out of trouble. It seemed to me that it all came down to the interview. If you make it to that point, you have the golden opportunity to sell yourself. It's a long road that you will spend most of the time just waiting for the next call but if and when you get "the" call it will have all been worth it. Best of luck!

Forum Member

Hey guys! I was hired on the department in December of 2011 and will have two rooms opening up in a three bedroom apartment at the end of May - The Reserve at White Rock. Nice apartments only 10 min from the academy. About 8 of us now live here from classes that have graduated within the last year. Rent would be $425 (+ utilities, cable/internet). Usually comes out to about $500 a month with everything; 7 month lease. PM if you want any further details and I can get you my contact information. Good luck to those of you moving on in the testing process. This is without a doubt, the best job in the world!
    Kcam23 likes this.

Forum Member

thanks for the hospitality, will let you know you if i make it that far..god willing.

Forum Member

Drove about 5 hours Saturday to turn in my paperwork and the place was closed. How about that? My wife and I decided to treat ourselves to the Dallas Zoo and Dave and Busters since we made the drive. The academy sure looked like it was in the ghetto. Wasn't a very pleasant area to drive through.

Forum Member

The zoo or the academy??

Have seen some poor zoos but Dallas ??

Forum Member

Looked on the government jobs website and it says im placed on eligibility list. One step down.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fire49 View Post
    The zoo or the academy??

Have seen some poor zoos but Dallas ??
    We said the same thing. Wasn't real impressed with the zoo. The African area was good, but other than that it wasn't to impressive, and yes it was in the ghetto too. Its funny you can drive 5 minutes one way and be in uptown then go 5 minutes another way and worry about leaving your car while going into the store.

Back on topic, I've sent my packet through overnight mail. Also been placed on the eligible list on the government website. Guess I should call tomorrow just to make sure they have received my packet.

Forum Member

Has anyone received notice that they passed the civil service exam?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by probie27 View Post
    Has anyone received notice that they passed the civil service exam?
    Haven't received an email, but a couple of us have status changes on the government website to "eligible".

Forum Member

Same here on the eligibility list update.

Forum Member

Just to add my experience about the shady stuff in the hiring process, i am a minority, i have a degree and certs. I felt like i did really well on all the aspects of the hiring process a couple of years ago and i didnt get picked, they did pick alot of people that i didnt think or knew that they didnt do better then i did on some aspects (whites and minorities) but that is neither here or there, just wanted to add my experience and wish everybody good luck. I received my email yesterday about passing and talked to one of the people in charge, and he said everybody should be getting theirs too.

Forum Member

Got my email yesterday. For anyone who is in their first time in this process,the best advice I can give you is be patient.This is a long process with a month+ between contacts so don't stress too much if it has been a while since you hear from them.

Forum Member

So why do we have to take a accuplacer test?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fire891 View Post
    So why do we have to take a accuplacer test?
    I'm assuming they want to be sure you can make it through and pass your EMS training. Kinda wondering myself. You would think people with a college degree would be exempt from taking the Accuplacer.

Forum Member

Would say yes accuplacer for emt course

Reading writing arithmetic. Some people even college grads cannot do it

More then likely the emt portion is where there is the highest wash out

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BRCBRC View Post
    We said the same thing. Wasn't real impressed with the zoo. The African area was good, but other than that it wasn't to impressive, and yes it was in the ghetto too. Its funny you can drive 5 minutes one way and be in uptown then go 5 minutes another way and worry about leaving your car while going into the store.

Back on topic, I've sent my packet through overnight mail. Also been placed on the eligible list on the government website. Guess I should call tomorrow just to make sure they have received my packet.

http://www.spotcrime.com/tx/dallas

It is also an iPhone app
    Last edited by fire49; 03-07-2013 at 08:07 AM.

Forum Member

Anyone get scheduled for accuplacer test yet? I called recruitng today but no one answered.

Forum Member

I believe the school where Dallas sends the EMT students require it. I don't believe that it is necessarily the city that wants you to have it. Probably just one more thing that they don't have to pay for if you do it before you get hired on.

I could be wrong about this but I think thats the reason.

Also, I believe the only people exempt are medics....

Forum Member

ACCUPLACER
    Please keep your copies of El Centro Accuplacer forms. You should present them to the El Centro personnel on you test date.
    Civil Service will mail or email your test results for the written civil service test in approximately 2 weeks after the examination. Once you have received confirmation that you passed the civil service written exam, contact the DFR recruiters who will schedule you will take the ACCUPLACER exam administered at El Centro College. Accuplacer testing is to measure your aptitude in qualifying for EMS training. Accuplacer Exemptions: 1.) If you are a current paramedic please contact a recruiter to be exempted from the Accuplacer. 2.) If you recently (within 1 year) took and passed an Accuplacer, contact Ron Johnson at El Centro.
    If you reside more than 2 hours outside of the metropolitan Dallas area, contact Ron Johnson for instructions for off-site testing.
    Ron Johnson
    Testing Assistant II
    El Centro College Assessment Center - West Campus (972) 391 - 1424
    Email: ronjohnson@dcccd.edu

http://www.firehouse.com/forums/t118936-15/ (Dallas fire rescue hiring 2011!)
    Last edited by fire49; 03-09-2013 at 08:37 PM.

Thread Information