Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Dallas Fire Rescue - 2013

Forum Member

fire49 do you work for dallas? seems like you're always detour people from working there

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by probie27 View Post
    fire49 do you work for dallas? seems like you're always detour people from working there

Nope, i do not, I do know people that work for Dallas

Only problem I have with Dallas is the city politics, if you have been following them the past few years.

There are many departments in the DFW area, adn just try to let peole know that.

Plus if you are certified and paramedic the number of people you compete against goes WAY down.

Forum Member

Less competition is good if you're just trying to get a job, but if you're trying to be part of a department who actually fights fire on a daily basis and has the resources to take care of our own then Dallas is for you.. Smaller departments are good and all but when chaos hits their city, who do you think is responding? I know where I'd rather be... And you're right city politics suck, but any big city in this country has bad politics, it's a price we pay to have one hell of a career

Forum Member

You definitely have a point thunder dome, that's one of the reasons I got on with Dallas but, like fire 49 said the city politics are bad and add to that the city has been in the red for the last several years. The pension sucks for new hires and we have not had a raise in almost 4 yrs. so like I said before it is a great job and its cool working for a big dept but in the end you still have to support your family and its hard to do when you are beat down on the ambulance and are so tired you don't want or have the energy to work another job. So just another FYI to you guys taking the entrance exams it's not as rosy as it seems

Forum Member

I'm young with no family so I am definitely enjoying life right now, but I do understand what you're saying. I also believe with how bad the economy has been, any pension is a good pension right now. We may not have the interest on the drop but it's still better than nothing. You put your time in and the money is there. How many other departments can promote so many? There is endless opportunities with Dallas, join the USAR team and get the OT, swift water, haz mat, exc. How many people take pay cuts to do this job? A lot. Yes we have a busy ambulance, but that's our job security, without EMS a lot of us would be unemployed.. Just something to think about..

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDome7 View Post
    I'm young with no family so I am definitely enjoying life right now, but I do understand what you're saying. I also believe with how bad the economy has been, any pension is a good pension right now. We may not have the interest on the drop but it's still better than nothing. You put your time in and the money is there. How many other departments can promote so many? There is endless opportunities with Dallas, join the USAR team and get the OT, swift water, haz mat, exc. How many people take pay cuts to do this job? A lot. Yes we have a busy ambulance, but that's our job security, without EMS a lot of us would be unemployed.. Just something to think about..
    Funny you mention that, because if by the grace of God I am hired for this position then I would be one of those people.
    Last edited by BRCBRC; 02-19-2013 at 12:14 AM.

Forum Member

@ Thunderdome, their are a lot of people who take pay cuts and are lucky to have a job but that line is getting old. I'm at a single company house so I'm not around the old heads so I don't have to listen to them after I bitch about pay and benefits. But I'm guessing you are at a double company house and have to hear that line from them. Also anyone hired after 2011 not only has no intrest in the drop they also have a different multiplier for their pensions so it is exactly the same as tmrs. As well as now their is a group from the DFFA looking to file an injunction to the promotional process. With that being said these guys testing need to know all of this not to mention the shenanigans that go on In recruiting that are very shady. If I had less time on and didn't mind being a rookie again I would leave what is the reason to stay around I see none when you can pay the bills a whole lot easier making close 30,000 more per year with a lot better insurance and the same pension it's just something these guys need to know. I'm not trying to be brash or bitchy just informative.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bill white1234 View Post
    @ Thunderdome, their are a lot of people who take pay cuts and are lucky to have a job but that line is getting old. I'm at a single company house so I'm not around the old heads so I don't have to listen to them after I bitch about pay and benefits. But I'm guessing you are at a double company house and have to hear that line from them. Also anyone hired after 2011 not only has no intrest in the drop they also have a different multiplier for their pensions so it is exactly the same as tmrs. As well as now their is a group from the DFFA looking to file an injunction to the promotional process. With that being said these guys testing need to know all of this not to mention the shenanigans that go on In recruiting that are very shady. If I had less time on and didn't mind being a rookie again I would leave what is the reason to stay around I see none when you can pay the bills a whole lot easier making close 30,000 more per year with a lot better insurance and the same pension it's just something these guys need to know. I'm not trying to be brash or bitchy just informative.
    I'd love to hear more about the shenanigans, not the first time I've heard something like this. I made it to the inerview last year and didn't make the cut. I probably didn't have the best interview but surely not the worst. PM me if you want

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bill white1234 View Post
    what do you mean the shady that goes on in recruiting

Forum Member

@ probie and gogetit, the recruiting division is made up of minorities and its no secret they help out their own. There have been many cases of people who scored higher that are white being passed over by underscoring minorities. @probie their is not telling if you were wronged and their is nothing you can really do about it now, but the possibilities are out there

Forum Member

that's pretty much what I've heard. I talked to a guy during paramedic rotations that didn't even pass his polygraph, yet was still offered a job. But, like you said.. nothing I can do about it. We'll give it a shot this yr and see how it goes.

Forum Member

Good luck to everyone testing today! And by testing I mean finding a parking spot.

Forum Member

The Civil Service Exam was much easier than I anticipated. Good luck everyone on your scores. I'm not sure what you need to pass that test, but I'm pretty confident that I missed maybe 5-8 questions at the worst.

Time to fill out the paperwork.

Forum Member

@ BRCBRC be prepared to leave that gorgeous wife home alone every 3rd night and holidays IF you do 'by the grace of God' get hired

Forum Member

So what do we actually need to send in for the March 5th deadline. Is it just the personal history packet, or is it all of the forms on the DFR website? There are several forms that require information that we may not have yet, like acuplace scores. Can anyone clear this up for me or does anyone have contact info for DFR recruiting?

Thanks

Forum Member

We're supposed to send back the whole packet minus the accuplacer release forms. Read the form entitled steps to employment, it should clarify it there. Once we recieve confirmation of our written exam scores, then we can contact the college to schedule an accuplacer.

Forum Member

Hey guy, I applied last year and by the grace of God I made the cut. I remember very well being in your position over a year ago. I just wanted to say good luck and stay on track with everything! Get your paperwork turned in, prepare for the next "obstacle" in the process whatever it may be and stay out of trouble. It seemed to me that it all came down to the interview. If you make it to that point, you have the golden opportunity to sell yourself. It's a long road that you will spend most of the time just waiting for the next call but if and when you get "the" call it will have all been worth it. Best of luck!

Forum Member

Hey guys! I was hired on the department in December of 2011 and will have two rooms opening up in a three bedroom apartment at the end of May - The Reserve at White Rock. Nice apartments only 10 min from the academy. About 8 of us now live here from classes that have graduated within the last year. Rent would be $425 (+ utilities, cable/internet). Usually comes out to about $500 a month with everything; 7 month lease. PM if you want any further details and I can get you my contact information. Good luck to those of you moving on in the testing process. This is without a doubt, the best job in the world!
    Kcam23 likes this.

Forum Member

thanks for the hospitality, will let you know you if i make it that far..god willing.

Forum Member

Drove about 5 hours Saturday to turn in my paperwork and the place was closed. How about that? My wife and I decided to treat ourselves to the Dallas Zoo and Dave and Busters since we made the drive. The academy sure looked like it was in the ghetto. Wasn't a very pleasant area to drive through.

Thread Information