+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Dallas Fire Rescue - 2013

Forum Member

The zoo or the academy??

Have seen some poor zoos but Dallas ??

Forum Member

Looked on the government jobs website and it says im placed on eligibility list. One step down.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fire49 View Post
    The zoo or the academy??

Have seen some poor zoos but Dallas ??
    We said the same thing. Wasn't real impressed with the zoo. The African area was good, but other than that it wasn't to impressive, and yes it was in the ghetto too. Its funny you can drive 5 minutes one way and be in uptown then go 5 minutes another way and worry about leaving your car while going into the store.

Back on topic, I've sent my packet through overnight mail. Also been placed on the eligible list on the government website. Guess I should call tomorrow just to make sure they have received my packet.

Forum Member

Has anyone received notice that they passed the civil service exam?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by probie27 View Post
    Has anyone received notice that they passed the civil service exam?
    Haven't received an email, but a couple of us have status changes on the government website to "eligible".

Forum Member

Same here on the eligibility list update.

Forum Member

Just to add my experience about the shady stuff in the hiring process, i am a minority, i have a degree and certs. I felt like i did really well on all the aspects of the hiring process a couple of years ago and i didnt get picked, they did pick alot of people that i didnt think or knew that they didnt do better then i did on some aspects (whites and minorities) but that is neither here or there, just wanted to add my experience and wish everybody good luck. I received my email yesterday about passing and talked to one of the people in charge, and he said everybody should be getting theirs too.

Forum Member

Got my email yesterday. For anyone who is in their first time in this process,the best advice I can give you is be patient.This is a long process with a month+ between contacts so don't stress too much if it has been a while since you hear from them.

Forum Member

So why do we have to take a accuplacer test?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fire891 View Post
    So why do we have to take a accuplacer test?
    I'm assuming they want to be sure you can make it through and pass your EMS training. Kinda wondering myself. You would think people with a college degree would be exempt from taking the Accuplacer.

Forum Member

Would say yes accuplacer for emt course

Reading writing arithmetic. Some people even college grads cannot do it

More then likely the emt portion is where there is the highest wash out

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BRCBRC View Post
    We said the same thing. Wasn't real impressed with the zoo. The African area was good, but other than that it wasn't to impressive, and yes it was in the ghetto too. Its funny you can drive 5 minutes one way and be in uptown then go 5 minutes another way and worry about leaving your car while going into the store.

Back on topic, I've sent my packet through overnight mail. Also been placed on the eligible list on the government website. Guess I should call tomorrow just to make sure they have received my packet.

http://www.spotcrime.com/tx/dallas

It is also an iPhone app
    Last edited by fire49; 03-07-2013 at 08:07 AM.

Forum Member

Anyone get scheduled for accuplacer test yet? I called recruitng today but no one answered.

Forum Member

I believe the school where Dallas sends the EMT students require it. I don't believe that it is necessarily the city that wants you to have it. Probably just one more thing that they don't have to pay for if you do it before you get hired on.

I could be wrong about this but I think thats the reason.

Also, I believe the only people exempt are medics....

Forum Member

ACCUPLACER
    Please keep your copies of El Centro Accuplacer forms. You should present them to the El Centro personnel on you test date.
    Civil Service will mail or email your test results for the written civil service test in approximately 2 weeks after the examination. Once you have received confirmation that you passed the civil service written exam, contact the DFR recruiters who will schedule you will take the ACCUPLACER exam administered at El Centro College. Accuplacer testing is to measure your aptitude in qualifying for EMS training. Accuplacer Exemptions: 1.) If you are a current paramedic please contact a recruiter to be exempted from the Accuplacer. 2.) If you recently (within 1 year) took and passed an Accuplacer, contact Ron Johnson at El Centro.
    If you reside more than 2 hours outside of the metropolitan Dallas area, contact Ron Johnson for instructions for off-site testing.
    Ron Johnson
    Testing Assistant II
    El Centro College Assessment Center - West Campus (972) 391 - 1424
    Email: ronjohnson@dcccd.edu

http://www.firehouse.com/forums/t118936-15/ (Dallas fire rescue hiring 2011!)
    Last edited by fire49; 03-09-2013 at 08:37 PM.

Forum Member

If anyone wants help passing their upcoming CPAT, we are offering a brand new program in Grand Prairie. Workouts are based on a shift schedule.

http://www.FASTFireFitness.com

Forum Member

If I can give any advice to you guys that are preparing for the CPAT, work on climbing a stair climber with a weight vest. That's the part that I saw most people dq on.

Forum Member

Does anyone know the deadline on taking the Accuplacer? Also, can it be taken on the weekends?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kcam23 View Post
    If I can give any advice to you guys that are preparing for the CPAT, work on climbing a stair climber with a weight vest. That's the part that I saw most people dq on.

I second that. If you have never been on a stair climber and haven't been strength training your legs while working out, you may be in for a rude awakening. Also, make sure your cardio is at a level that allows you to sustain energy (and your breath) throughout the test. You will be exhausted by the time you're done, no debating that. I started to REALLY feel it during the dummy drag. It's close to the end so I was already tired. Not to mention, I don't really ever "pull" weight while back pedaling so my legs were on fire. Take advantage of the practice run and you'll do fine. Good luck!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BRCBRC View Post
    Does anyone know the deadline on taking the Accuplacer? Also, can it be taken on the weekends?
    I'am guessing by April 29th since that is when CPAT Testing begins, but not sure

Thread Information