+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 18 123411 ... LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Dallas Fire Rescue - 2013

Forum Member

Thumbs up Dallas Fire Rescue - 2013

Link: http://www.dallasfirerescue.com/recruit.htm

Open Application Period for Trainee Fire and Rescue Officer Positions

The City of Dallas Civil Service Department will begin accepting applications for Trainee Fire and Rescue Officers, January 6 -19, 2013. The minimum qualifications are:

Minimum Qualifications
    Forty-five (45) semester hours of college credit (excluding developmental courses) with an overall grade point average (GPA) of 2.0 or higher from a college or university accredited by a Regional Institutional Accrediting Organization

OR
    A minimum of forty-eight (48) months active service in the Armed Forces of the United States of America with an Honorable Discharge (as indicated on separation documents provided by the military)

Additional Requirements
    ∑ Military discharge must be ďHonorableĒ (if applicable).
    ∑ Must be at least eighteen (18) and not have reached thirty-six (36) years of age on the date the Civil Service written examination is administered (February 25, 2013).
    ∑ NO FELONY CONVICTIONS.
    ∑ Must have valid driverís license with good driving record.
    ∑ Must possess the physical/medical health to adequately perform the duties of a Firefighter.

To apply go to http://agency.governmentjobs.com/dallas/default.cfm on or after 0001 hours on 1/6/2013 when candidates will be permitted to submit applications via the on-line system. Candidates should avoid submitting applications prior to 1/6/2013 0001 hours (midnight) to avoid jeopardizing their on-line application process. Thanks for your cooperation and good luck!!

Forum Member

Just saw this on the Dallas FD page. I'll be there! Best of luck to everyone else applying too

Forum Member

For those taking the written exam, I have a study guide for Dallas and was wondering if anyone is interested in purchasing it? Its the Don McNea gold bonus package. The study guide was a great insight in terms of what to expect on the written exam. If interested please pm me. Let me know. Thanks!

Forum Member

Any idea how many they will hire this time?

Forum Member

"""I work for Dallas and the last I heard was another 80.""""

http://www.firehouse.com/forums/t123597-28/ (Dallas Fire-Rescue 2012!)

Forum Member

Thanks fire49...I wasn't sure if it was 80 or 100. I asked a friend of mine who works for DFR too at station 54 but he wasn't sure.

Forum Member

I am thinking about coming down from Nebraska to apply for Dallas Fire. What is their written test like? How does their testing process go? Do Paramedics get preference over others without EMT-B/any ems? Do they require to get the transcripts for College Credits at time of Application or is it later in the process?

Forum Member

The written test is pretty simple, just basic algebra, reading comprehension, nothing that requires any sort of study guide or prep book in my experience. The testing process is relatively smooth for the size of the department: 1)written exam 2)CPAT/polygraph 3)interview. They ask for transcripts and all pertinent info pretty early on so make sure its sent well before the deadline because incomplete packets are one of the biggest reasons people got weeded out in the last few hiring processes. I'm sure being a Paramedic helps but in my rookie class of 20+ we had about 3 emts and no medics.

Forum Member

What is the final rank based on? Is it based on Test Scores and Interviews? Or is it based on Test Scores, college grades, and Interview? Sorry for all the questions, I am just trying to decide if its really worth traveling 14 hours to test especially if it doesn't matter if you have EMS or Experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Armyfire245 View Post
    What is the final rank based on? Is it based on Test Scores and Interviews? Or is it based on Test Scores, college grades, and Interview? Sorry for all the questions, I am just trying to decide if its really worth traveling 14 hours to test especially if it doesn't matter if you have EMS or Experience.
    Your score on the Civil Service exam is THE*** deciding factor as to whether or not you proceed in the hiring process. Therefore, your immediate goal must be to score has high as possible on the written exam.

Later in the hiring process, fire and EMS experience can give you an edge but you must have scored high enough to get that far in the process for it to be considered. Note that I said "can" and not "will".

***Additionally, Dallas is under a consent decree to hire recruits based on ethnicity and gender. This is due to past litigation. Therefore, people who meet gender and/or ethnic quotas will move ahead of candidates who do not - even if they scored lower on the Civil Service exam than the people they are jumping ahead of.
    DFW

"There's no such thing as a free lunch."

Forum Member

Once again there are other depts in Tx and with paramedic you will test against a lot less people maybe 100 or less or 50 or less

http://www.tcfp.texas.gov/job_postings/jobs.asp

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dfwfirefighter View Post
    ***Additionally, Dallas is under a consent decree to hire recruits based on ethnicity and gender. This is due to past litigation. Therefore, people who meet gender and/or ethnic quotas will move ahead of candidates who do not - even if they scored lower on the Civil Service exam than the people they are jumping ahead of.
    If what you are saying is true, I should of been hired by DFR b/c my nationality is ridiculously under represented by DFR and the fire service in general. I recently tested w/ DFR and I'm sitting at 102. I have accepted the fact that 101 other candidates were better than me not based on color or gender.
    God speed to those that test w/ DFR.

Quote Originally Posted by dctalk523 View Post
    If what you are saying is true, I should of been hired by DFR b/c my nationality is ridiculously under represented by DFR and the fire service in general. I recently tested w/ DFR and I'm sitting at 102. I have accepted the fact that 101 other candidates were better than me not based on color or gender.
    God speed to those that test w/ DFR.
    Dallas' quotas have been established due to past litigation in the 1980's. If you are truly interested, contact one (or all) of Dallas' firefighter associations, such as the IAFF Local 58, the Black Firefighter's Association, or the Hispanic Firefighter's Association. Those groups would be better prepared to explain the previous litigation due to their involvement in the lawsuits.

This information really shouldn't surprise anyone. If you've done your research prior to applying, you'd likely have found out about this. Aside from that, most big-city fire departments have gone through similar litigation and are still bound by the resulting decisions today.

I am not saying that Dallas (or Forth Worth, or Arlington, or any other Metroplex city) does not utilize as fair a hiring process as possible, just be aware that circumstances exist due to previous litigation that must (by court order) be complied with.
    Last edited by dfwfirefighter; 01-05-2013 at 11:18 AM.
    DFW

"There's no such thing as a free lunch."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dfwfirefighter View Post
    Your score on the Civil Service exam is THE*** deciding factor as to whether or not you proceed in the hiring process. Therefore, your immediate goal must be to score has high as possible on the written exam.

Later in the hiring process, fire and EMS experience can give you an edge but you must have scored high enough to get that far in the process for it to be considered. Note that I said "can" and not "will".

I might be totally wrong here, but when I went to the job fair 2 years ago one of the recruiters said that DFR don't care if you scored 70 or 100 on the Civil Service exam, as long as you pass with a 70 u move on. Also, the recruiter mentioned that Civil Service don't share the scores with DFR.

With regards to the gender/ethnic quotas....I worked for UTSW Medical Center from 07/98 to 11/12 in the same building where all the medic training takes place...I used to eat lunch with all of the recruits from DFR and all the other cities that contract with UTSW. I can tell you this for sure...the classes were well diverse among all ethnicities. Yes, some classes had more or less color then others. That being said, in almost 5 years that I worked for UTSW I saw 5 females with DFR.

Forum Member

Totally agree with fire49...try a small city like Euless or Bedford. You might want to try Arlington, TX too...big city, nice equipment, good pay n from what I understand a lot of their FF are getting close to retirement age. Arlington is Non-Civil Service...so only the ppl with the highest grades move on.

http://www.arlingtontx.gov/fire/

Forum Member

Your civil service score is not even given out to DFD. It's a pass/fail. We are a very diverse department, but it all comes down to your interview. Study hard, and everything will pay off. Good luck to all
    Last edited by ThunderDome7; 01-05-2013 at 08:24 PM.

Forum Member

Application submitted all the way from Richmond, VA!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HanoverFF View Post
    Application submitted all the way from Richmond, VA!
    Do you have any certs yet? If so what??

Forum Member

Yea fully certified firefighter, DPO and EMT-I.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HanoverFF View Post
    Yea fully certified firefighter, DPO and EMT-I.
    Check out some these other places;;;

http://www.tcfp.texas.gov/job_postings/jobs.asp

A lot less competion

http://www.tcfp.texas.gov/certificat...ansferring.asp

Understand long way to travel to test

Thread Information